Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which camera?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to the hills in a couple of weeks and the old video camera doesn't cut it any more. Am severely tempted to go for a Go Pro Hero 3 black edition. Is it 200 quid better than a standard Hero 3 or am I being suckered by the marketing people.

Any decent alternatives?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
friend of mine has a 'Contour' - which gives super images (he bought it mainly because he thought he would look a prat with a GoPro on his helmet.......!)

A review of both here

http://blog.evanscycles.com/mountain_biking/go-pro-hero3-vs-contour-2-vs-veho-muvi-hd10-action-camera-review/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends entirely on what you want to do, if you just want the video without any fancy pants editing (slow motion etc.) then buy a much cheaper Go Pro 2 (or even a 1 is good quality) the 3 is a great piece of kit but most people don't edit the video in a way that takes advantage of the higher frame rates etc.

There a HD3 on Ebay at the moment for £112 with under 12 hours to go before it closes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are looking just to use it for one week skiing per year there are places that rent Go Pro for the week - about £50-£60 from memory. Mat be an idea.

Some hire shops in resort may hire them per day as well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thornyhill, Contour GPS, old model for me, works great.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's definitely 200 quid better (plus you get the remote with it) but do you need 200 quid better? Smile

I'd grab a second hand HD2.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to film other people, get a handheld camera.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, .............and dont be slow getting it out of the box, and make sure you stand in the right place!! wink Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29, Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My eldest got a GoPro Hero 2 from us for Xmas. Having been a total sceptic about them I have to say that I was really impressed with the footage he got from it. No issues with battery life or anything. I suppose the only flaw being that you can't see what you're filming/just filmed but the 170 degree coverage means you'd need to be a bit of a numpty not to get what you're aiming at (oh and the sound ain't great).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought the GoPro Hero 3 silver for the OH at Christmas and it has been such a success, we have all used it loads, the son and friends have taken some some
great videos with it, the clarity is amazing. Would say it is one of the best things I've bought. Thornyhill, Have fun with whatever you eventually choose.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nip to your local Maplins and ask if they have one of the AEE cameras left. the same as this

http://yocameras.com/

£110...with LOADS of goodies, exactly like the other one!

It works a treat too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anybody tried the gopro 3 white camera? It would only be for occasional use for skiing and mountain biking or do I need to be looking at the silver? Any advice appreciated Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from a weeks skiing with the gopro 3 white. It's a great little camera. The wifi is useful for getting a feel of the field of view and the image quality is excellent. I just set it to 720p50 which is plenty for anything other than large screen use. We were able to play back directly from the camera on the Chalet's Sony TV and everyone was saying how good the picture quality was.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The GoPro Hero 3 White edition has a lower resolution for taking pictures than the Hero 2. I'm not sure if this affects the quality of recorded footage though. I picked up a Hero 2 Outdoor Edition for £180 from Argos. Happy with it so far, I did have issues with freezing after I installed the latest firmware and have since rolled back to an older version.
snow report
The White is essentially the same video quality as the original HD Hero. The Silver has the same video quality as the HD2. What you gain is the smaller form factor and wifi capability without needing the back addon.

The Black edition is the only one of the new 3 range that has substantially better video quality than the competitors. I got to play with one in Japan and the video quality is much, much nicer than my HD2 is capable of.
ski holidays
As meh, says, the Black is the only one that really steps up the video quality to 'the next level', but in all honesty, I think it is debatable whether anyone needs the 4k resolution or the ultra high framerate that the Black offers (more here: http://www.sportscamonline.com/gopro-hero-3-guide/) So I think the White is probably the best buy unless you really want (or need) the features of the Black.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy