Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski and apres-ski with 'Scooter' Libby - the man at the centre of a US political scandal

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A week ago few had heard of Irv Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, chief aide to the US Vice-President Dick Cheney. Then, all hell broke loose. 'Scooter' - who happens to be a fanatical skier - resigned after a federal grand jury indicted him on five counts in a case involving the leak of a CIA agent's identity. He is charged with obstruction of justice, making a false statement and perjury.

Skier Scooter

He'd probably like a break from all this to go sliding right now with his old pal Jackson Hogen, a veteran ski writer who - in something of a scoop - got an interview with Dick Cheney and 'Scooter' Libby last winter. They met in Cheney's ski resort home - Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

'Scooter' may stand accused of a serious leak (which could potentially land him with a 30-year jail sentence) but he didn't leak much to Jackson Hogen about North Korea when they took to the slopes together last winter. Here's a quote from Hogen's article in 'Ski' Magazine
Quote:
On one of our ascents up the Thunder chair I inquire, in as offhand a fashion as I can muster, how Scooter proposes handling the North Korean crisis, which most press reports of the day view as spinning out of control. Scooter replies in level tones that his position, not widely accepted by other members of the inner circle, is that we should adopt a policy of vigorous name-calling. This is Scooter's witty way of saying-in an idiom tailored to his audience-that he isn't going to trade state secrets for ski lessons and he'd prefer to keep his otherwise omnipresent obligations from invading his few precious hours of ski time.

High-octane political scandal and skiing don't often cross paths. Stand by for more about 'Scooter' and his passion for skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 31-10-05 23:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, Everything he's been indited for so far is just perjury, and impeding the investigation (about 25 year's worth) . . . nothing at all re the 'outing' of a CIA operative. A new GJ's been empaneled and the 'leak' investigation could have another two years to run. I'd like to think that there may be a lot more to come, but rats in a corner can get very nasty, you wouldn't believe the level of polarisation in the States at the moment and it doesn't look to be getting better very soon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, you're quite right. I presume (without checking) that the prosecutor is alleging Scooter's perjured himself to conceal that he leaked the CIA agent's ID. So, in a way, it adds up to the same thing.

A huge amount of perjury probably takes place in courts and hearings generally, with relatively little ever prosecuted. Much focus in this case seems to be on special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald for having the muscle to take on the big guns.

Is Scooter's nemesis a skier? Or a Pistenbully of mass destruction?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they are looking for a scapegoat will they look over here...??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy