Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

flat light goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Head out to val d'isere in a few weeks, and trying to guard against the flat light issue. Lost too many days to it last year. Any suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yellow lenses, have a look round the shops when you get there, my pair of Bolle yellow goggles cost about £20 in a shop in L2A
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yellow lens or the Scott Rose Amplifier are my favourites but everyone seems to have different eye issues.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can also get frames (sunglasses) with interchangeable lenses. Makes a difference up to a point.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ELLENESK,

I saw a review of low light lenses a few years ago on a US web-site, and the most highly rated were the Smith Optics Sensor Mirror lens followed by Oakley's yellow lens. I'd tried the Oakleys but for some reason Oakleys don't sit well on my face, and I found they collect snow at the bottom of the lens where it meets the frame. So I bought a pair of Smith Phenoms (with the Sensor Mirror lens which they do to fit a number of frame styles) and they are superb, but they're quite expensive and I've worn them precisely twice.

Two years ago I needed a new pair for bright light, so got a pair of Bolle Vermillion Modulators, in their Nova frame. They are fantastic, and almost as good as the Phenoms in low light as well. I think I paid about £30 for them, so I guess the point of this post is to say think carefully about spending loads of money on low light specific lenses/goggles, because a/ maybe your run of low light days skiing is over, and b/ reactive lens technology is getting better and cheaper all the time. Unless of course you fancy spending loads of money buying my Phenoms wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ELLENESK, we are both delighted with Smith I/Os which have interchangeable lenses. (Changing lens is dead easy).

One is the Blue Sensor Mirror with a light rose tint for low light which works very well, the other is a Red Sol-X Mirror light sienna brown tint for sunny days. They were supplied with both.

We don't normally carry both lenses unless we have our backpacks as you can usually work out which you'll need. The Blue Sensor works most of the time anyway, just isn't reall ydark enough on later season or on-glacier sunny days

Smith make a number of frame sizes and shapes with this facility and sell a wide range of replacement lenses.

We've probably skied about 100 days in them and have been very pleased even in the rubbishly flat light on Sunday which nothing really gets through and they were as good as anything else we've tried. They seem remarkably fog free as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have Scott goggles with light-sensitive lenses, they work really well in flat light and I don't need to change lenses when the sun comes out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indulged in a little retail therapy this trip and I bought a new pair of Oakley Canopy OTG goggles with the HI Yellow lens, while Always29 investigated new lenses for her scratched up Smith Anthems. She was quite taken aback with the difference the Sensor lenses make in flat light over her current ones, and would've bought some there and then if they'd had them in stock. We're now having a look for new lenses online, probably about £50.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take a look here and you could win a pair of Scott LCG Goggles that have won various awards.

I've been using them all season and they are simply the best I've ever used, as has Darren Turner, ski guru
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I have used the Scott amplifier lens for years, I really get on well with them especially as the goggles that fit me best are the cheapest. I actually wear them in all conditions so I have a couple of spare pairs in case they discontinue them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was persuaded into a pair of the Scott variable lenses and will be testing them this coming week, so will report back. Given the forecast and knowing how quickly light can change (constantly) I hope they live up to the hype as that would be fantastic.

If they don't work I'll be having words with the shop (I love em really and they've never given me duff advice yet).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scott goggles with yellow lenses - keep 'em in the backpack and they inevitably come out at some point in every day. Best £30 I ever spent
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy