Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort recommendation...!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello skiing experts!
I am after some advice for a suitable ski resort (I'm sure loads of people ask this so sorry for being boring!! wink )
It is for myself and my partner- we are late 20's and are looking to go over new year...
It will only be my 2nd week of skiing, as we went to tignes for last new year. My partner is a snowboarder and is more advanced on the pistes, but doesn't necessarily need loads and loads of black runs as we will mostly be going round together...
Any helpful suggestions will be massively appreciated as I keep finding options then seeing online that they might not be suitable after reading reviews etc...
Some first hand advice would be great!!
Amy x
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amy,

all resorts have a range of slopes with plenty which are not black Smile
so on what you have said - virtually any resort would work...
do you have any other criteria - e.g. budget / travel time & distance / type of accomodation (self-catering / chalet / hotel) / country - or language / do you want lessons - in which case go with recommendations for instructors and the resort is then chosen

etc.!

Alasdair
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello,
Well yeah I guess probably would have a few more lessons to progress further...
Other than that- quite flexible, I guess it would be good to try another country other than France...
With regards to budget- we are going at an expensive time so good value for money would be good, but tignes wasn't especially cheap so on a par with that would be cool...
X
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New Year so need a good snow record, but that covers a lot of bases.
Assuming that reaonably easy access to the slopes is required: Cervinia in Italy, for a change from France. Les Arcs or La Plagne for something similar with lots of intermediate slopes and a few challenging ones. Lower resorts with access to higher slopes such as Kirchberg in Austria or Megeve in France will have a different feel. Value for money, Austrian resorts such as Zell am See or Italy eg Madonna di Campiglio.
But, with a brief that wide, your choice is almost infinite.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

But, with a brief that wide, your choice is almost infinite.

Yes. To narrow it down a bit you will need to provide more information, as mentioned above, particularly about the kind of accommodation you want. And maybe what you liked, and didn't like, about Tignes.

If getting better is a key requirement you could consider holidays at UCPA centres in France (see Action Outdoors who market them in the UK). Exceptional value. Some centres have twin rooms, at a modest supplement. Good tuition, FULL board, lift pass and equipment all included.

Do you have to do New Year? It's the busiest and most expensive week of the year and going a few weeks later gives you a better chance of good snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Take a look at Saalbach. Lots of fun at New Year, drinking and eating is fairly cheap, plenty of slopes of all colours, nice village with atmosphere, great apres, good ski schools.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amywoods1609, Christmas week is lots cheaper and quieter. You could really go to quite a small (cheap) resort - you are not going to need 150km of pistes and the lift passes are cheaper in smaller places. Look out for the early season preview brochures and grab a bargain, or go to a ski show?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello there,

unfortunately it does need to be in the School Holidays due to my restrictions at work, so a couple of weeks later would be no good - but Xmas could be an option perhaps... Although we had decided New Year so we can spend Xmas @ home...
I haven't hear about Ski Shows - are there any coming up?

I have had a look @ Saalbach - it seems quite popular and booked up already!

With Tignes - we did really love it, however I like the idea of seeing a different resort as I've been told there are much mopre picturesque resorts - whilst I did think no one could fault the beautiful scenery...
x
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

there are much more picturesque resorts - whilst I did think no one could fault the beautiful scenery...

there are certainly more picturesque resorts (very few less picturesque, in fact) and, believe it or not, better scenery too. The Dolomites area of Italy is probably one of the most beautiful mountain areas in the world. The Jungfrau in Switzerland and the scenery round Chamonix in France are also pretty special. But all mountains are great!

If you can forego the traditional British Christmas (eat and drink too much and watch too much telly?) the Christmas week is a better bet than New Year from the point of view of crowds and costs. Don't know about Austria but in France Christmas week is markedly quieter than New Year.

Once you have done a Christmas in the Alps you might never want to do the eat/drink/telly fest again. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

there are much more picturesque resorts - whilst I did think no one could fault the beautiful scenery...

Once you have done a Christmas in the Alps you might never want to do the eat/drink/telly fest again. wink

Pam speaks the truth...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To give you an idea we can save approx £500 all in for the same holiday (2 adults and a child) at Christmas week than if we went a week later for New Year. Trouble is Jnr has his heart set on having Christmas at home this year after 3 Christmases away.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that is quite good!
ok maybe i'll investigate the Xmas option...!
x
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If Jnr pays the difference, he gets to choose, otherwise... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

To give you an idea we can save approx £500 all in for the same holiday (2 adults and a child) at Christmas week than if we went a week later for New Year.

and the fact that you spend less time standing in lift queues, and skiing on crowded pistes, is another big plus.

hammerite, leave Jnr with granny?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boardiac, good plan.

pam w, if he's with Granny he won't be at home! Although he will be able to spend the time with his mates and cousins, which is the main reason he wants to be at home this Christmas.

The other thing we tend to save by going at Christmas is the strange compulsion to blow a huge amount of money on food/gluttony, whilst standing for hours in queues at checkouts.
latest report
I don't know if this helps, but in our family, we reschedule Christmas nearly every year, with small kids, ages now 4, 8, 10, and 11.

We have a whole story going on...bad weather, some families had to get rebooked by Santa, just got an SMS, oh... better check my e-mail for an elf date (meanwhile, in the back ground to my sister "do you have all those presents wrapped?").

Well, see Santa he gets confused with all our hopping from country to country, has to be discusses in the next Santa to Santa international board meeting... because the Santa of England, and of the U.S. and of Holland, and of France, well, they all ARE different Santa's, but all cousins, same corporation so to speak, and it seems they are sensitive about territory crossover and what-not, we are a special case, and that must be discussed at the highest levels in Santa land....

Well, you get the idea, it goes on and on, and we haven't celebrated Christmas on December 25th for years...and the kids are now well trained to accept this. Not a problem for us.
latest report
Quote:

it goes on and on, and we haven't celebrated Christmas on December 25th for years...and the kids are now well trained to accept this. Not a problem for us.

sounds good; very pragmatic!
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, Aren't you coming to the 4 Valleys this year?
snow conditions
Swissie,

Yes I am!

Two weeks at Christmas... I may end up there in Feb as well, but actually thinking I'd like to try Italy after a 20 years.

So, Christmas will be more complicated as now we've got to get the Swiss Santa Claus involved with the Dutch one, the Norwegian one and the American one.... don't know how that's gonna shake out at Santa HQ.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, Good luck. We have to sprinkle reindeer dust outside in the snow if my nieces are staying, so Santa knows where to land. They were a bit worried that he might get trapped in the log burner though. Smile
snow conditions
Yes... and you know Santa's Elves are pretty hi-tech using whatapp and SMS's and google maps... but they do need landing instructions!

We're a well known family by ALL the international elves by now! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy