Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for a (First time) solo skier

Poster: A snowHead
As I've said in other threads I'm a fairly new skier, but have become rapidly obsessed with it. I'm off this evening to go skiing for 10 days, and then..like most I presume would normally do nothing and wait until the next trip next year. However, much to the chagrine of my wife, I am determined to not let this happen, and get myself skiing regularly throughout the year - I'm looking at lessons at Hemel for that.

I'd like to go as much as is possible - time, work and wife allowing - but its difficult for someone who hasn't done it before to start. There are a lot of operators offering what seem like great deals (Crystalski, Thompson, etc); but are they? I have my own gear (aside from Skis) and generally don't care where I go as long as there is a bit of English (I speak passable French, nothing else).

Is it best to just pick a thread in here at random, for example, find some people who are going somewhere, and just tag along? Solo skiers on here must have started at some point, how did you get started? Tia.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bashes. Lots of them, from beginning to end of season, attended by plenty of fellow in-patients just like you. Great instruction, and loads of fun. See snow events pages.

Welcome to snowHead by the way. And good luck with the Mrs wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
macgyver, I presume you are talking about last minute TO deals? I have done several in the past and enjoyed them all and IMO they can be absolute bargains.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys, yes I am thinking of those NickyJ, I've seen some crazy deals, eg £300 for everything in, apart from food/aprés ski. I guess I look at them and think 'whats the catch?'.

DoubleBombardino thanks for that, I shall have a look and see if I can make one. Sounds like a great way to get out and meet people.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Often No catch they are just filling last few places in accommodation / seats on aircraft. Before we had kids (so while ago now) we did several £199 each last minute deals which included flighs transfer and catered accommodation we didn't know which chalet we would end up in but as it was just me and hubby then we really weren't at all fussy. Different story now we have a 3 yr old and 6 yr old out priorities are completely different.

Though if you aren't going with the Mrs's then the bashes do look like a great way to go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I'm not ruling out the Mrs coming, but she's less passionate about it than I am (despite skiing longer and being considerably better!).

I guess it makes sense about selling places, as presumably they've paid for them and want to recoup some costs Smile.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
macgyver, another possibility is UCPA, holidays sold through Action Outdoors. They are all-inclusive of all meals, equipment, ski passes and various packages of tuition - very good value and good for solo travellers. Have a look at the action outdoors website and lots of positive reports on UCPA trips here on snowheads.

BUT - you really need to try to get your wife hooked too. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi pam - thanks for that. Had a dig around the site and it looks like a fantastic option, especially with the integrated lessons.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
macgyver, there's a UCPA discount code here somewhere - search function should find it no trouble.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok well after reading the Bash threads, I'm totally sold on that idea; I'll have to try and get on one soon!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
macgyver, You could go on the EoSB in April Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That looks amazing, but thinking about it its a week after the Paris marathon so I will likely not be in skiing condition.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
macgyver, Also, if you want to combine ski coaching with a holiday, you could look at some of the Inside Out coaching holidays.

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/

I've just become a solo skier this year and am using the above and snowHeads Bashes to launch this new phase. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never done the bashes or UCPA although both do seem like a good idea.
I have however been on various solo skier trips and always had the best of times.
I'm not sure you can really get a feel for your fellow travellers on a brief Internet post, so I think the trick is to get involved in a group which is big enough that you will get on with at least a few people but small enough that you get talking to everyone. I generally find groups of 8 to 10 are ideal.
It's probably also good to be in a group where at least a few other people are the same sort of level of skier as you. Years ago I did go with a group where the majority were a level or so above me. The conditions were very icy and I did lose a bit of confidence trying to keep up with them.
The best solo skier hol I had was when I went with no more expectation than that if nothing else I had avoided single supplements. Then the holiday was just the best, the group members were all very different and we had such fun that we have skied every January since and even get together in the UK at least one weekend a year.
Lastly I did once book a single room in a chalet. I knew I'd get company that way at night and I booked for ski school through the day. That worked ok too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
macgyver, if you're looking at lessons at Hemel then follow Iski's link to Inside Out, if you haven't already. Assuming you're past the beginner stage these are a great way of meeting a group of fellow enthusiasts. They run regular coaching sessions at HH and there are a few regulars who are all keen to improve. Once you start knowing a few people who ski regularly you might find your problem is choosing which of the many available holidays to go on Very Happy. I'd also recommend the bashes, both the PSB and the EOSB offer very good instruction.

[Other ski holidays are available]
snow conditions
An interesting read this thread.
Last week i was very much in the same boat but as of yesterday i can now say i have done my first solo ski. I flew out to Morzine last weds and stayed for 3 nights, alone. I skied alone and did my own thing.....i really enjoyed it.
If i stayed any longer i would seriously consider signing up for lessons as once you have explored the area you could do with the company to spice things up
latest report
macgyver wrote:
That looks amazing, but thinking about it its a week after the Paris marathon so I will likely not be in skiing condition.

Oh go on, Tarquin did a bash the DAY after the London Marathon!
latest report
macgyver - I too am a solo skier. This year I'm just hanging on for a late deal! Intend to go to 3 valleys as usual - just can't get enough of the place. 'Ski Weekends' coach trip looks a likely option if a better price doesn't come along.
Re. Coaching/Lessons - check out Warren Smiths website. VERY RECOMMENDED.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy