Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protector combined with Backpack - is it a compromise worth having?

Poster: A snowHead
My DD is working in the Alps this season as a chalet host, with the intention of using her spare time to improve her snow boarding skills. She has wrist and knee protection but has mentioned that she thinks she would benefit from a Back Protector.

I've seen a couple Backpacks (from Scott and also Decathlon) which are combined with Back Protectors, which seems a good idea, but I wonder if it reduces the effectiveness of the back pack and/or back protector when the two are combined together - has any one any experience of using these combined units?

Also, having a correctly fitting Back Protector is important and I wonder if combining with a backpack will cause a poor fit for the back protection - again any comments / experience gratefully received.

My DD is about 5ft 4in and of a small build so getting the right size/fit is a consideration, as most back protectors seem to be aimed at a more SuperMan sort of physique!

Thanks for your thoughts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I don't think a back protector is necessary for snowboarding and thats after a decade or more of falls. Only time i've ever thought of wearing one is when learning rails. If you're daughter is learning to ride, and wants a back protector, then thats her decision of course - I'd recommend that if she is going down that route, then get a proper protector rather than a backpack/back protector. The extra weight of a pack won't help her balance while shes learning, and if a protector is going to be effective it needs to be worn in close contour to the back. If shes still concerned for her coccyx, maybe impact shorts may help too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i think back protectors are a great idea - we have our kids all with them now. Same as helmets, its not for what they may do to themselves in a fall, its more for protection against other people hitting them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't see the point of a protector if she's got a backpack on - but won't she take it off for the park?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No - gimmick neither one thing nor t'other unless it's a very custom fit. If she's wearing a backpack for the right reason i.e. to carry avy kit, shovel blade will provide a measure of protection in and of itself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MoyaM, For pootling around I don't bother and just have my pack that always has spare fleece etc in it for a but of padding. Impact shorts are another matter . . . always. But if there is any chance of playing harder than that then yep I wear mine . . . but I am considerably older than most of youz lot and I don't bounce off the furniture quite as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forget the rucksack and get a proper back protector. There will be one out there that fits her and feels comfortable. I forget mines on at all until I land heavily/flip or just generally wipe out, at which point I'm always glad it's there. Not as young as your daughter I'm guessing so don't bounce so well but net going to let it stop me. The only other time I notice it is when I strip off in the restaurant at lunchtime. +1 for wrist guards and impact shorts, though I've now ditched the elbow protection on the basis that lightning won't strike the same place twice Laughing
PS my daughters also wear similar protection though of varying makes according to size, build etc. Just make sure it's got an appropriate safety approval, CE or whatever.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Outside the park I don't really see what it's all for.

I have seen tourists with backpacks with built-in protection. That stuff's irrelevant in the back country (in my humble opinion), but the gear looked the same quality/ construction as the separate stuff, so if that's what you want I'm sure it's as good as the next thing. Obvious disadvantages are that you're linking two items together giving you less flexibility.

I don't think those back packs were shovel packs, which is what most people use. I'm unconvinced the shovels will give you any protection. Just don't carry your ice-axe stuffed between your back and the pack (old English style).

My understanding from the stats of ski resorts generally (including parks) is that the wrist protectors are the only thing which seems to make any difference, and there's a caveat with that.... apparently they reduce the rate of injury for novices. So you may want to think about renting some for a few days, as once you're past that the risk is significantly less.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig, A novice has a bigger chance of falling hence a bigger chance of breaking something. That doesn't mean an intermediate or expert won't break if/when they fall.
Lies, damn lies and statistics Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
Outside the park I don't really see what it's all for.

All the stacks I didn't just walk away from were outside the park. like catching a stump in powder and landing on another on the small of my back, destroyed shoulder in Risoul . . . and the same bloody shoulder in Tignes along with the head injury Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, Can you give us a head start to set the man traps this year? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A back protector will help limit the over extension of the spine in the wrong direction, it doesn't just limit impact damage. A rucksack could worsen that over-extension if it's shaped such that your back bends over it when you land on it.

I have a Boblbee rucksack which has a hard outer shell so it acts as a protector itself, both against impact but also flex. I wear it when motorcycling on-road. For off-road biking and/or park skiing, I wear a back protector. I may wear a rucksack on top of that.

I'm considering wearing the back protector at other times too, but as it's designed for rallying/enduro/moto-x it's a bit bulky to wear for normal skiing or with a rucksack. I may get a skiing specific one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get a separate back protecto. She most likely wont be riding with a rucksack for days on the piste or the park anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got a Dakine bag very cheap and didn't realise that it had a back protector built in until after I bought it, but it seems to me to be worth having.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all for useful comments - I think taking everything into account, that a seperate back pro
tector is best - she'll get a proper fit and be able to use it with or without her back pack which is a consideration I hadn't thought of.

I must admit I am concerned that combining a back protector and back pack together will compromise the effectiveness of both.

Thanks ahain snowheads - helpful thinking once again!
ski holidays
robapplegate wrote:
philwig, A novice has a bigger chance of falling hence a bigger chance of breaking something. That doesn't mean an intermediate or expert won't break if/when they fall.
Lies, damn lies and statistics Laughing

You need to read the original post, and preferably chase up the source material, or you'll continue to miss the point there, which is neither your interpretation nor your straw man.

The data is just fine, it's the people interpreting them who make all the mistakes.
latest report
I use a POC Ergo Bug spine protector and recommend it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy