Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap bars in Courchevel?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. First time poster but I have been lurking around here for ages. I'll be in Courchevel in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend any good and cheap (or at least reasonably priced) bars? We are staying in Le Praz which I believe is really quiet. Is there decent apres to be found in Le Praz or will we have to head up to the higher villages? Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'll be in Courchevel in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend any good and cheap (or at least reasonably priced) bars?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pint_of_best, baggy cargo pants with pockets full of supermarket stubbies. Buy one beer and keep topping it up under the table. You get lighter as the evening wears on. HTH.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyrew wrote:
Quote:

I'll be in Courchevel in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend any good and cheap (or at least reasonably priced) bars?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This ^^

Having just returned from said resort and paying £8 a pint I wish you well in your quest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I must admit I guffawed when I saw the thread title too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The drop inn.

But my first thoughts were as above.

Hahaha.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most bars, do a "Happy Hour" when prices drop from 'kin extortionate to bloody expensive, so maybe "Slightly less sad sixty minutes" is a better description, a hip flask is a good investment.
In 1650 prices are not as high as 1850 and I know Rocky's and The Bubble both do decent food and drink at not too extreme prices, and they have free WiFi!
No connection just a happy past customer of both.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pint_of_best, my experience of Courchevel is that it lacks any kind of apres really, being set up for people who book 5* hotels with everything on site. However, there are a couple of bars in 1650 which are reasonably lively - the Bubble (Le Ski) and Rocky's, run by Ski Olympic I seem to remember. There used to be three seasonnaire type bars in 1850, run by Skiworld and SkiVal, but I believe they've all closed. Le Praz has bog all going on, as a rule.

I always wonder why people on normal budgets bother with Courchevel - lift pass is expensive for the amount of skiing you get, everything else is extortionate, you get better access to 3V from somewhere nearer the middle of the system .... etc.

Local details here: http://www.my-courchevel.co.uk/bar_restaurants.php My information is somewhat out of date, places have changed hands etc since I last did a season there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Most bars, do a "Happy Hour" when prices drop from 'kin extortionate to bloody expensive, so maybe "Slightly less sad sixty minutes" is a better description

Laughing I remember looking at the list of "Happy Hour" prices in the bar at the Rond Point in Meribel - which were almost exactly the same as the normal drinks prices in my French resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Le Praz the Drop Inn and the L'Escourchevel (Sports bar) are the most reasonable places. L'Escourchevel has live bands as well a few times a week which is good fun. In 1550 you have The Bar that has a cheap Happy hour deal (personally, not my cup of tea). In 1650 the Bubble bar and Rocky's also have happy hour offers. These are all run by UK chalet operators so the staff is English and it is a younger crowd. We used to go to the Schuss in 1650 which is quite nice.
In La Tania the Ski Lodge is quite lively and you can take the bus back to Le Praz. I wouldn't bother with 1850 but if you really need a beer then the Hotel Olympic has a cheap bar (compared with anywhere else).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the suggestions - looks like 1650 and also the local supermarket it is then! Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/bars.htm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pint_of_best, this:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try "The Bar" in 1550. Used to be run by Pleisure holidays, assume it still is. I haven't been for a few years but it was always cheap for courchevel, has lots of offer nights, happy hours etc. Very small, but can be lively some nights. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bar-Courchevel-1550/181250194236

Also La Tania as already suggested. Ski Lodge or The Chrome Bar.
I popped into the Telemark last week (though a bit out the way unless you are staying in La Tania as its in the main chalet area rather than the town area), that was punting out pints of San Miguel on draft for EUR 5.50.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Conversely we popped into the Tremplin creperie, (right at La Croisette in 1850) with our 5 year old, and two crepe's, two hot chocs and a small orangina came in at 50 euros. They were charging 12 euros for 1/2 litre of lager. I heard some people grumbling about being stung 17 euros for a 1/2 litre at one of the on-mountain restaurants.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 15-02-13 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
This one near the top of Bouc Blanc is particularly cheap..

2 Euros a beer if you ask us nicely.
ski holidays
swiftoid, Laughing

4.50E for 0.5l in the outdoor bar just outside Mottaret gondola station. It is a long way to walk back though NehNeh
snow report
Try..

1650 - Bubble Bar and next door Le Boulotte
Le Praz - Drop Inn, L'escourch Vel and for wine Cave de Lys. The Vin Chaud in the Peuplier is worth having, especially if you go for a late apres and sit down stairs beside the fire.
La Tania- Ski Lodge, Taiga

On the mountain - Bouc Blanc, Courcheneige
latest report
Quote:

Courcheneige

He said cheap, not daylight robbery. Laughing
ski holidays
What about Le Jump, in 1850 the prices weren't too bad last time I was in there, that was two years ago.
latest report
SnowRetreat wrote:
Try..

1650 - Bubble Bar and next door Le Boulotte
Le Praz - Drop Inn, L'escourch Vel and for wine Cave de Lys. The Vin Chaud in the Peuplier is worth having, especially if you go for a late apres and sit down stairs beside the fire.
La Tania- Ski Lodge, Taiga

On the mountain - Bouc Blanc, Courcheneige

Forgot about the Cave de Lys! Great little (very) place with excellent wines and tapas!
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
pint_of_best, baggy cargo pants with pockets full of supermarket stubbies. Buy one beer and keep topping it up under the table. You get lighter as the evening wears on. HTH.

Yep just one of the reasons that I no longer go to France, not that I could ever be arsed doing this. When are people ever going to learn that there is excellent skiing beyond the French mega resorts without getting spanked. TBF it took me long enough.
snow report
Quote:

When are people ever going to learn that there is excellent skiing beyond the French mega resorts without getting spanked.

Plenty of people have learnt that, so they go to some of the other 185 French resorts. Amongst other places. wink
snow conditions
Lizzard, Hot choc with cream 4.50 Euros, small beer 2.50 Euros, Large beer 4 Euros.. I have photos of the menu to prove it! (but still haven't worked out how to attach them on here). 15 Euros for an adults burger and chips and 12 Euros for a kids burger with drink and dessert. All this in a great location (main run in to 1850), leather sofas and log fire inside or decking with log fires outside.. has to be one of my favourite places to stop. (no conection to this place at all).

p.s Don't get this confused with Chalet de pierre on the Verdons run... that's a whole different story.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 15-02-13 21:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
radar, Bar Le jump now changed hands and turned in to Zinc- not cheap anymore Sad
http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/restaurant-zinc-des-neiges-n113-s501.html
ski holidays
SnowRetreat wrote:
Lizzard, Hot choc with cream 4.50 Euros, small beer 2.50 Euros, Large beer 4 Euros.. I have photos of the menu to prove it! (but still haven't worked out how to attach them on here). 15 Euros for an adults burger and chips and 12 Euros for a kids burger with drink and desert. All this in a great location (main run in ot 1850), leather sofas and log fire inside or decking with log fires outside.. has to be one of my favourite places to stop. (no conection to this place at all).

p.s Don't get this confused with Chalet de pierre on the Verdons run... that's a whole different story.

Burger and chips, Mmmmmm . There's another reason.
ski holidays
Cheap anything in France, your having a laugh!!
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Yep just one of the reasons that I no longer go to France, not that I could ever be arsed doing this. When are people ever going to learn that there is excellent skiing beyond the French mega resorts without getting spanked. TBF it took me long enough.

Yes, I go to this little undiscovered gem I found called A U S T R I A.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowRetreat, indeed Sad
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Kel wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Yes, I go to this little undiscovered gem I found called A U S T R I A.

FFS don't go telling everyone, they'll all be at it.
snow report
Quote:

Lizzard, Hot choc with cream 4.50 Euros, small beer 2.50 Euros, Large beer 4 Euros.. I have photos of the menu to prove it! (but still haven't worked out how to attach them on here). 15 Euros for an adults burger and chips and 12 Euros for a kids burger with drink and dessert. All this in a great location (main run in to 1850), leather sofas and log fire inside or decking with log fires outside.. has to be one of my favourite places to stop. (no conection to this place at all).

Better still is the Courchneige's eat-all-you-can lunchtime buffet for 15 Euros, and if you want a cheap lunch, there's a fast-food counter on the side; cheapest paninis I found in the resort, plus hot takeaway tartiflette and lasagne.

Only problem is feeling like a complete scruff when you go in there. And the slightly snotty waiters.
snow report
Kel, nope, whatever you say, people will continue to stream into France. And when there they will complain about one or all of the following; (1) the price of everything, especially their beloved local delicacy, spag bol, (2) the crappy instruction and couldn't-care-less ski school manager, (3) the disappearance of their tour operator ski host, (4) the industrial-scale ski theft, (5) the glacial transfer times, (6) the "I never get the rental skis I ordered" whinge and (7) the uppity money-grabbing locals. I think that about covers it (#someweretongueincheek alert) but memories are short and they'll be back next year.
latest report
Bode Swiller, And long may it continue, if it keeps them away from the rest of the Alps. Just my twopenneth worth wink
snow conditions
Quote:

2 Euros a beer if you ask us nicely.

swiftoid I'll keep an eye out for you Smile

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions
snow report
The courchneigie is just about the best value restaurant on the mountain in the whole 3 valleys and i have long sung its praises. The skiers lunch is currently 29 euros, this is an unlmited salad buffet to starter ( we are not talking about a harvester salad here, but a full on major french salad buffet).

huge man course

then choice from fantastic desert buffet

including a drink and coffee...

beer (stella) is 2.50 for a demi (try to find that outside a TO hotel bar on the slopes!)

The all you can eat soup is i think 8 euros, but this comes with as much bread a you can eat and there are always 2 choices both my eldest daughter and my wife filled up on this option twice this week.. You can get a really great lunch in the pilatus (aka the altibar) but it will cost you double pretty much.

There are sme good value places in 1650, the little shack under Bel air isnt too bad, and there are a couple of good places accrod the road to eat and drink (rocky's as mentioned is a seasonairres huntng ground n the evening).

places to avoid if you dont want to get hammered...

the tremplin (next to the jardin alpin bubble, 6 for basic coffee is the going rate)
pilatus (the altibar) if you are eating' just about doable for a beer at about 4.50 for a small beer.

Be Air (though we always have lunch there once a visit as its pretty much a familiy tradition for us)
The casserole (like bel air but the view isnt as good)
the casserole hambuger joint ( looks like reasonable value but they charge extra for everything , 3 hot chocolates a cafe au lait and a mars bar come in at about 27 eurosq, because you want milt in the coffee (1 euro extra), 3 x 1euro for the cream on the hof chocolate, and 2.5 euros for the mars bar.
snow report
Quote:

The courchneigie is just about the best value restaurant on the mountain in the whole 3 valleys, The skiers lunch is currently 29 euros,

<cough> I think we might have different interpretations of "best value".

Now, ZigZag in Mottaret, although not hyper cheap is (IMHO) really good value. plat du jour approx 12E 1/2L of Savoie 8E and I've never yet managed to say no when "madame la proprietere" admits to just having taken the tarte au pommes out of the oven.

(p.s. it's spelled: Courcheneige )
snow report
yeah spelling was appalling all the way through, the post but was on the thick end of a bottle of wine after getting back from courchevel last night.

I honestly think you would struggle most anywhere, let alone the side of one of the best skiing areas in the French alps (my view) to get 3 huge courses of excellent food for 29 euros.
latest report
the courchneige has a snack bar where you can get a drink and a panini for €10, bargain!

1650 is probably your best bet, as has already been said. It's where the main bars are and has a good feel to it. 1850 is mainly hotels and expensive restaurants. I've never been charged £8 a pint! but then if it looks expensive, I just don't go in it!

It is expensive here but then you're in Courchevel! Not in Andorra or Bulgaria and I think you'll see the difference. The last time I went out in London it as between £5 and £7 a pint which is about €5.50-€8 and that generally what a beer costs you here
ski holidays
ansta1,
Quote:

huge man course

And all for 29 euros!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy