Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to set up bindings on a board

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I have just bought some bindings to go on to a second hand all mountain board for my son.

Hopefully the board will last a couple of years and the bindings will do the same till he grows out of them.

I have googled how the set bindings but getting lots if different airy fairy answers. I understand that it is not something set in stone but needs to be adjusted till get best fit.

So the info i need is a starting point. eg how far apart. and start angles (+ve for front and -ve for back binding).

Last year the shop we rented from just placed them on the board and it seemed to work well.

So what do rental shops set them at so my son can start with that and then adjust to suit him.

Cheers

Paul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the board is roughly the right size for him you could try +12 -12 in the middle set holes front and rear.

I learnt with both feet pointing forward but now ride +18 -6. Had a demo set at +15 -15 and that felt fine also.

It really is personal preference and he'll soon work it out for himself.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+15 and -15. The bindings should be wide enough apart that he can get his arm from elbow to closed fist in between the bindings but not so wide he can can elbow to open hand in between. For an all mountain board the bindings should be about 1 inch (25mm) back from centre.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ntfarmer, it is a bit airy fairy to be honest because at the end of the day it's about finding out what works best for him. I've a mate who runs duck (+15,-15) but another who rides almost alpine type +27,+12 but i soft boots (he also surfs with his feet at this angle, so i guess that's where its rubbed off from?).

What i do is stand on the board with no boots or bindings. Close eyes, sink into boarding stance. Flex a bit, mind snowboard a bit and then have a look/measure. Set bindings on the board as close to angles/width as you can (usually with a slight offset to rear of board). Stand in bindings again with no boots on, then repeat the bouncing/mind-snowboarding. If your feet are centred and angled correctly in the bindings, you're there, if not adjust and repeat. Then go snowboarding and find out it's all wrong, but at least you tried. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moral of the story. No one answer so nail 'em on, get out there and then tweak for the rest of your snowboarding career.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember to adjust the highbacks: forward lean and also rotation to keep them parallel to the heel edge.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All these years and i've never thought to adjust the rotation on my highbacks, I don't think i've ever even heard it mentioned before, but now it seems so obvious. And now it's all I can think about. Thanks cad99uk, there goes my afternoon of getting any work done...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways, My pleasure. Laughing I think that you will notice the difference, makes things a lot more positive going into a heel side turn.

T minus 3 weeks for me, bring on those powder turns.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
high back rotation is definately one normally forgotten.

I used to ride +18, -4 but now ride duck at 15 each way, which for a kid who will no doubt want to jib etc will be a good start. For width I tend to think balls of the feet in line with the outside of the shoulders as a starting point. Either that or ask him to pretend he's walking like a gangster packing 9, then stand still....trust me, give it a go, but in private NehNeh

As others have said, there is no set guide, but just good starting points. Example: Im 6ft but only have 30 inch inside leg, so stand pretty narrow comparitively to someone of normal distribution that's 6ft.

To find out if he is goofy or regular, have him run and slide across a tiled floor in socks. Thats his stance.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most people now ride duck to some degree, although it's a personal thing. It will also depend a bit depending on what your doing. My settings are different on piste compared to off piste (off piste my bindings are both set further back, and my front foot points more forwards, and back foot less backwards).

To get a starting point, get him to stand on a slippy floor in socks (tiled or wooden floor). Start with feet shoulder width apart, then get him to drop suddenly into a really crouched position, then stand up again. His feet are now roughly the distance apart they should be, and the angle they should be.

As for the question of how far forwards/backwards to put the bindings, the further forwards you put them, the easier turn initiation is on piste, but the harder it is to float off piste. Also, if you set it up with a bias - with the bindings more to the front or rear of the board, you make it harder to ride switch.

After debating all the above, just do this.

Quote:

No one answer so nail 'em on, get out there and then tweak for the rest of your snowboarding career.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To you all thanks.

My son learned duck but with a much shallower angle on back so will start at +15 -9. as for the width for stance will do the squat test and measure.

Can you explain more or direct to website about highback settings.

Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can adjust the angle of the highback rotation to the base of the binding. Not to be confused with canting ie the angle of dangle. If the highback is square to the base on the front binding, when you fix the binding to the board at say 15deg, you'll see the highback is at the same 15 deg angle away from the centreline/edge of the board when viewed from above. Undo the two fixings at the bottom of the highback and move the fixings around the base so that the highback lines up with the heel edge ( turning them by roughly-15, +9 if that makes sense). Makes end to end weight transfer easier on the legs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn't bother rotating the highbacks as it makes very little difference to performance and if they are rotated 15 degrees they will probably not fold down neatly into the base plate which is a pain in the backside for storage and transportation. You do want to adjust the forward lean angle though. More forward lean will make it easier to grip on the heelside but too much will give you calf burn very quickly.
As for angles set them the same e.g. +15, -15. You don't walk down the street with your feet at different angles and you certainly wouldn't do squats in the gym with your feet at different angles so the same with a snowboard.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends on the bindings if highback rotation is worth it, hasn't made much difference on one set I have with asymetric highbacks but made a big difference on another pair I have that don't have them. It's worth a try.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ha ha what have you started ntfarmer? I though you just wanted a simple answer...

snowrider wrote:
As for angles set them the same e.g. +15, -15. You don't walk down the street with your feet at different angles and you certainly wouldn't do squats in the gym with your feet at different angles so the same with a snowboard.

I'm sorry I can't agree with this. Full duck has it's place but it's not right for everyone in every situation. I certainly don't walk down the street with my feet at +15 -15, even though I'm a cockney (Ministry of Funny Walks?). When I walk I'm traveling forward, when I snowboard I'm mostly traveling sideways. A bit like these guys:

If you don't know who Rodney mullen is you've got to check him out:

http://youtube.com/v/2axIDTYy9yM
snow report
Snow Hound wrote:
Ha ha what have you started ntfarmer? I though you just wanted a simple answer...

snowrider wrote:

I'm sorry I can't agree with this. Full duck has it's place but it's not right for everyone in every situation. I certainly don't walk down the street with my feet at +15 -15, even though I'm a cockney (Ministry of Funny Walks?). When I walk I'm traveling forward, when I snowboard I'm mostly traveling sideways.

Ha Ha thought this might create a bit of debate! You don't walk down the street with your feet +15 -15 because you don't have have your feet as wide as when snowboarding. If you have your feet the same width as your hips your feet will be about 0 0. As you move your feet wider than your hips your feet start to turn out as your femurs start to turn out in your hip sockets. As your knee is a hinge joint you want to keep your feet and knees aligned to prevent strain on your knee ligaments. So if you have a narrow stance you might be +12 -12 or if you have a wide stance +18 -18.
snow report
Snow Hound wrote:
A bit like these guys:

Major difference being that you can move your feet around on a surfboard. I would love to get out of my bindings and plant 10 on the nose of my snowboard Very Happy
latest report
That was part of my point, they're travelling sideways like us but they can put their feet at any angle that suits - they never choose +15 -15.
latest report
Snow Hound, they also never ride switch... never really make turns as we know them either... (yes, yes, I know about cut-backs and such-like...)
snow report
I disagree with +15 and -15 as that is a hell of an angle for your knees to be apart? I ride +15 -12 which I find just fine for riding quite a lot in switch.
snow conditions
Those 2 degrees will make all the difference! Toofy Grin
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Snow Hound, they also never ride switch... never really make turns as we know them either... (yes, yes, I know about cut-backs and such-like...)

http://youtube.com/v/M_7VHR9KPa8

Edited to make link work (I hope).
snow conditions
stevomcd, I've a pal who's a guide on a boat in Indo - he's well know for riding into a tube regular and then reappearing goofy Cool .

Newschool surfers are also riding switch - ending pop shuvits (originally a skate move i think) riding switch. The young lad rides in regular and out goofy. My cup of tea it's not, but who am I to judge.

http://youtube.com/v/L5_ftWRZ288
snow report
This might be useful:

http://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/content/category/stance-and-snowboard-setup/
latest report
FWIW, the recommendation by BASI is for an angle of 20-30° between your feet. i.e. if your front foot is at 18°, then your back foot should be somewhere between -2° and -12°.

If I have any influence, I generally set any beginners I'm teaching up at something around 18, -9 (which is also my own stance). Many beginners aren't sure if they're regular or goofy and most beginner exercises are performed equally in both directions anyway, so a duck stance is useful.
snow conditions
FWIW, the recommendation by BASI is for an angle of 20-30° between your feet. i.e. if your front foot is at 18°, then your back foot should be somewhere between -2° and -12°.

If I have any influence, I generally set any beginners I'm teaching up at something around 18, -9 (which is also my own stance). Many beginners aren't sure if they're regular or goofy and most beginner exercises are performed equally in both directions anyway, so a duck stance is useful.

rogg, is he riding switch or fakie though? wink
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
That was part of my point, they're travelling sideways like us but they can put their feet at any angle that suits - they never choose +15 -15.

Maybe I do it wrong but I'm pretty sure I surf with my feet in a sort of duck stance at times, especially when I'm about to put in a big turn. Never really looked TBH but I've been surfing for about 25 years.

But surfing is completely different to snowboarding anyway.

I usually ride +/-15 centred on a twin tip board. Feels right to me.
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:

Maybe I do it wrong but I'm pretty sure I surf with my feet in a sort of duck stance at times, especially when I'm about to put in a big turn. Never really looked TBH but I've been surfing for about 25 years.

But surfing is completely different to snowboarding anyway.

I usually ride +/-15 centred on a twin tip board. Feels right to me.

If you're surfing then you're doing it right. Last time I tried I couldn't even get out the back, I just got my harris handed to me for 30 mins and then gave up. Wasn't even that big.

It was hard enough to find a decent surfing photo where you could see the feet properly let alone one that supported my argument! Just a little gentle trolling because I've got more important things I should be doing.

As I posted earlier I demoed a more jib freindly board and had it set at +15 -15 which felt just fine to me. I imagine as well as making switch easier it helps with keeping hips and shoulders in line with the board?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd wrote:
rogg, is he riding switch or fakie though? wink

Switch. Shocked
latest report
AHHH!!!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile

simple is said (like me) Toofy Grin

For better or worse i have set them up for him after getting him to shut his eyes., Slide across the kitchen floor stand up then go in to several squats as if on board.

Using tape i have measured the width.

Now set on board with +15 -15.

Will adjust highbacks when out in france (only 8day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ) after he has been out for a morning.

As everybody says its very dependant on your own requriments and feel.

Thanks for all the help, will update on progress when out there.

Time to get back to thinking about SKIING knee deep in soft powder!!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
snowrider wrote:
Ha Ha thought this might create a bit of debate! You don't walk down the street with your feet +15 -15 because you don't have have your feet as wide as when snowboarding.

I don't think it counts as "debate" if you're just contradicting yourself. The "walking down the street" thing you introduced isn't relevant.

For powder, most people will ride a directional board (or a "directional twin"), and it's rare for anyone to bother riding switch. So most seem to ride with relatively forward stances.

For a beginner, I'd rent gear, or at least I'd test whatever you're going to buy before you buy it. Failing that, I'd set the stance to whatever your instructor recommends. Instructing styles vary by location, and not because of physiological differences. Then I'd tweak the stance if it didn't look/ feel correct. Again, your instructor should help you with that.
latest report
ntfarmer, Also recommend that you put a good grippy stomp pad on your son's board. Put it in front of the rear binding.

Essential for good dismounts from chair lifts and also for drags.
snow conditions
agree on the stomp pad .. i used to have both feet at positive angles but have finally found a duck stance far more comfortable for all mountain.. went for a progressively wider stance over the years but am now happier with what i started with.. the high backs are next on the list of things to mess about with and im erring towards moving the binding back by one screw hole... take one of those compact screwdrivers out with you and mess around with all the setting at beer breaks i reckon you will be changing them for your entire boarding life
latest report
+1 for stomp pad. We all have them, they make getting off chairs dead easy, as long as the skiers don't do anything silly. And god forbid you end up on a drag lift they're worth their weight in gold.
just to chuck some more numbers in, I and my daughters ride +15, -5.
As CANV CANVINGTON, said, take a board tool with you, it's a 5 minute job to change things. I was swapping from regular to goofy for the first couple of days till I got it sorted.
latest report
+3 on the stomp pad

Ive been riding my UnInc for 4 years with a pad. Just bought a CustomWide for my trip last week, totally forgot until i was raising the bar on the first lift, which had a steep exit and no run out (as they like to do in Europe for some reason!) and was like Shocked
snow report
Another + for Stomp ownership, plus a recommendation to get as viciously spikey on as possible, particularly if you plan on using pomas or other tow lifts regularly.
Forget those flattish ones, and go for something like the Dakine Spike which is ugly as sin but the best stomp i've ever used.
Tip: cut it into 2 strips and position so half is under your boot toe, and half under the heel
Same goes for if you go for those smaller individual spikes, position them so you've got good toe and heel traction, rather than a scattergun approach.

Warning: If you're using your board as a sledge, don't sit on the stomp unless you like bruise patterns that look like they belong in '50 shades...'
snow conditions
Stomp pad = helmet + sunglasses.

Just sayin'. wink
ski holidays
stevomcd,
Quote:

Stomp pad = helmet + sunglasses.

No way! My stomp pad looks cool, nice metal diamond studs, and means I can ride around one foot no problem.

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Demon_SMALL_CLEAT_Snowboard_Stomp_Pad_Silver-%288999%29

My first ever snowboard was an ex-hire board and it came with somethign very much like this one on - highly recomended for beginners. Doesn't look super cool tho.

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Demon_THE_BEAST_Snowboard_Stomp_Pad_Clear-%2844583%29
ski holidays
+18 -8 here. Binding width is at least as important for comfortable riding.

I have the little Dakine stompy pyramids stuck in lines for my back foot heel and toes, in front of the rear binding. They don't make any real difference as your back foot shouldn't have any lateral pressure when gliding one footed.
snow report
Quote:

go for something like the Dakine Spike

+1

or the Dakine X-mat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy