Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do the French go to Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Do they?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sean1967, not usually, but as I said in your other thread, the Dutch do.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sean1967, Maybe to look for looted family treasures, probably not to ski
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
French friends of mine did last year, but I suspect they are in a minority
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells wrote:
sean1967, not usually, but as I said in your other thread, the Dutch do.

Thank you. I thought the subject required its own thread - Very Important.

There's not so many Dutch though and I'm sure they'll also go to France, Italy and Switzerland.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sean1967, Never seen/heard any - mostly AUstrians, Germans, Brits, Dutch, Flemish, East Europens, Scandies and a smattering of Italians
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They don't travel well the French.

Layne, making sweeping generalisations since 1974.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do the Austrians go to France?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen a few around. I skied down a piste in Austria only two days ago with 5 of the french ski team.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A German friend that lives in UK refuses to drive through France to get home from Skiing there may be your answer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, quite a few, but not as many as the Germans/Dutch/Brits/Skandis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sean1967, I'm seeing more and more French and Swiss cars coming our way. The eastern French find it easier and cheaper to get to Austria than to go via Switzerland to the French Alps. They also speak German, so they feel comfortable with the language. Friends from Strasbourg and Nancy always ski in Austria these days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It usually make more sense going to France since it's the closest and most French people drive to the slopes. Living in the UK since most people take flights to go skiing it opens up more horizons but also cost more. I've also found that if you want to go as cheap as possible France is usually the best option since self catering accomodation can be cheap (although maybe not at the price/m2) although self catering chalet are pretty cheap and food and drinks can be bought on the way in the valley in Carrefour or other big supermarket which makes it quite affordable. We often ski for a week for 500 euros per head all included except ski hire with my friends leaving from Paris.

And indeed I have never been to Austria, Switzerland or Italy.

I live in Scotland now and I am going to Italy this year for the 1st time (skiing) but that's because none of my French friends are going although one was going to come to St Anton in March before it fell through.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They did in 1813 . . .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not really.

We persuaded a French friend to join us skiing in Mayrhofen last week and the man in the ski hire shop did seem mighty confused by a frenchman coming to Austria...

However, our french friend did comment that Austria was cheaper and that the mountain restaurant staff were much friendlier than in France!
snow report
Oh, grateful frog posted recently about some La Grave guides (presumably French) running trips (with French clients) to the Arlberg - so they do come, just much less than other nationalities.

Out of interest, why the question?
snow report
Layne wrote:

I think less so. Plenty of places in France are ages away from the skiing, whereas even in Vienna you can drive to a ski resort in less than three hours.
ski holidays
If we had higher mountains and an Alpine climate what would you do? The majority of the French seem generally as hopeless as the Brits at speaking foreign languages (not you fabricem) - well they don't need to do they, having a decent amount of Alps, fabulous coasts, decent weather, surfing, attractive country regions and not densely populated. I'd consider living there if I was in a position to. Cordialement.
snow report
Increasingly I've become aware of more French in st Anton and surrounding area.
latest report
Some, but not all, I would say.

Ask a stupid question....

snowHead
snow report
Used to get a few in Mayrhofen! Usually either repeat customers who liked the nice little towns, huts and locals etc. others to try something different and save some money
latest report
Well the French are doing rather well in Austria at the moment, unlike the locals.
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
Used to get a few in Mayrhofen! Usually either repeat customers who liked the nice little towns, huts and locals etc. others to try something different and save some money

Yep there were a few in Mayrhofen over Christmas.
snow report
I have now been to Austria 4 times in the last 7 years. Really like it.
My mate was a rep there thus giving us free accommodation, hence why I first went. Food/drink defo cheaper and I am quite partial to Weiss beer.. Toofy Grin
snow report
.... only to show off their Gold Medals wink
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Layne wrote:

I think less so. Plenty of places in France are ages away from the skiing, whereas even in Vienna you can drive to a ski resort in less than three hours.

Small ski resorts are possible in just over an hour.
A few Austrians do go to France but it's a lot more expensive and takes a lot longer to get there, plus you can't normaly decide short notice when the snow is good. I want to go to La Grave.
ski holidays
Over New Year half the cars in the underground car park were Austrian. ( Reberty) Some of the fanciest chains I have ever seen.
snow report
In my experience, quite a number of French visit the Schneewinkel resorts (Steinplatte, St. Johann in Tirol, etc.) and others nearby (e.g. Lofer). Mostly people from northern France, I think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy