Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meiringen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A quick drive round to Meiringen this morning, no great sense of anticipation.
Car park empty on arrival which can be construed in several ways. A bright sunny morning with the added frustration of some fresh snow.........2cms!
This isn't a well visited area by British skiers but one I would always encourage folk to look at if in the vicinity.
One can only applaud the great work that the piste team have done. Most pistes were in great shape, the only problem area being a long red run with a southerly aspect...and no snow making.
With a decent "top up" of fresh snow we will be back to ski some of the great off -piste .... here's hoping!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rogerdodger wrote:
This isn't a well visited area by British skiers....

That may well be true, but it was of course visited by Sherlock Holmes when he had his final confrontation with Prof. Moriarty at the nearby Reichenbach Falls. Toofy Grin

As an aside, Arthur Conan Doyle moved out to Switzerland with his wife in 1893 when she contracted TB as the clean mountain air was thought to be beneficial to TB sufferers. To help pass the time Conan Doyle took up the new sport of skiing, and wrote about it in the Strand magazine, introducing many Britons to this new activity. He anticipated its popularity, writing ‘I am convinced that the time will come when hundreds of Englishmen will come to Switzerland for the “ski”-ing season’. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, another of so many under-visited Swiss ski areas. Done it at least a couple of times, once staying in the village for a long weekend, others driving round from Engelberg to meet passing friends and have a day there before they carried on elsewhere. In the latter case you can just park and ski from Hasliberg, hence avoiding the lower runs if snow is not so good.

I recall one of the best powder days there - was persisting it down at breakfast time in the village, half the group didn't want to bother, persuaded most of them, but we split up later, so was just me and my wife skiing the most glorious chest-deep powder after lunch.... ah happy days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So quite clearly someone who is aware of the potential of this gem@Chaletbeauroc,
....if only the weather would play ball!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rumours for years of a link between Meiringen and Engelberg. Would make quite an area if it happened.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
Rumours for years of a link between Meiringen and Engelberg. Would make quite an area if it happened.

Yes, the plan was mooted in the mid 2000s, but was already pretty much dead in the water when we moved there in 2007. It would have linked not just those two but also Melchsee-Frutt into a pretty large ski area, but fell foul of environmental issues. I'm not aware that it's been revived but would very much doubt it.

It's always been possible to cycle between them, although TBF getting up to Melchsee-Frutt involved a lot of carrying, rather than riding, of mountain bikes. From there a long road-ride down to Stans and get the train back up to Engelberg.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting @telford_mike, @Chaletbeauroc, talking to the mother of Martina Wyss in the last couple of seasons, Regula commented that the connection of the 3 was back on the table being discussed. This would create a large and very interesting ski area.
A friend did a cabaret gig in Frutt hotel, she was amused when we stood at the top edge of Meiringen and I pointed out "that's Frutt down there"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rogerdodger, found this story in the Blick (sorry about the adverts)

https://www.blick.ch/wirtschaft/schneeparadies-von-meiringen-be-bis-engelberg-ow-traum-vom-mega-skigebiet-sorgt-fuer-rote-koepfe-id17128889.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rogerdodger, @telford_mike, Interesting. That article's from a couple of years ago now, so it _may_ just be the periodic resurfacing of the idea, which happened from time to time when we were living in Engelberg, and which were usually based on nothing much more than someone hoping it might get kickstarted again. I also note that the focus in the article is more about the environmentalists 'manning the barricades' than anything concrete about any plans to take the idea forward.

I always liked the idea, but by the time we moved out after ten years we'd long since resigned ourselves to the fact that it was never really likely to happen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were there for
Trychelwoche a few years back, had a great trip.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy