Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do my bindings slip off my toes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Looking for advice!
I bought some secondhand Burton Cartel bindings a year ago and have used them for two trips: the toe caps constantly slip off (particularly in powder/off piste) and end up across the top of my toes! I've tried adjusting them but in all honesty its more of a 'lets see what happens if', rather than any technical expertise!
The bindings are a size Medium and I'm wearing Burton 'Bone Out' boots in a 9.5 UK; Burton's sizing charts indicate that these should fit; I'm sure it can't be relevant but for what its worth i'm on a Burton Custom board.
Any advice other than black gaffer taping the boots to the bindings?
Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, at the risk of answering my own question, I've just stumbled across a thread on (another) snowboarding forum....

"Is there a slot that you can move the toe straps further back towards the heel?

In most bindings, if you want to run a toe strap capped you have come from an angle that will pull the strap into the end of the boot.

If you want to run the strap over the top, you move the straps out further to the end of the binding."

.....and have just checked my bindings to find that they are set in the forward notch. I guess I'll have to wait and see if changing them to the rear notch makes a difference.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I've tried adjusting them

That's why I didn't reply as I assumed you'd already tried that Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
intheshed, to be honest, I think you'll need them in the forward notch as your feet are right on the upper limit for Medium bindings. Worth a try though.

I run all my bindings with the cap strap in the forward notch, never really had any problems (size UK8 feet), whether with various sets of Burton boots or my current Deelux.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the same with my burton citizen bindings. They are women's large and being a 6.5 I'm middle to bottom of the range. I figured they just were cheap binding and not well designed?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I figured they just were cheap binding and not well designed?

Quite possible - I have the Lexa, no problem with it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My old Cartels suffered from this. My new Cartels have a redesigned capstrap and they don't slip. At all. Maybe it's a slight design issue that has been addressed? Not sure what I'm bringing to the party other than some new straps would solve the problem.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
intheshed, Wondering if you've got any wear in the cap ratchet mechanism or on the ladder strap. or in the mounting holes for either them. Any excess play in the 'gas pedal' under your boot toe that Burton seem fond of which could be causing the binding to flex under load?

Again, as you mentioned in your post check that both the straps are properly located into the notches in the toe-end of the binding.

I've got a size 8 boot in a large Mission binding and I won't say its never slipped on me, but the only time it has is when i've not tightened up properly. Pretty much every snowboarder I know uses cap bindings - don't recall any of them mentioning slip as a problem once they're setup properly...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My old missions did it every time off piste - particularly on a long toe edge traverse. My new(ish) Unions don't seem to as badly, maybe once a day or so.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the 2012 Cartels - absolutle no problems with this (love them actually)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard Sideways......I'm pretty sure there isnt any wear on the ratchet because when they DO stay put they stay tight and I cant see any play in the mounting holes either. This is where I throw myself open to ridicule/further advice.....the gas pedal Puzzled ??? More detail please. Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
intheshed, it's an adjustable bit under the front of the binding. Search it on YouTube, you'll find lots of demos.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
intheshed,
Older Cartels did have extra inbuilt frwd lean so if your ankle was not flexed strapping in... your boot heel won,t be back correctly in the binding highback.
So may have a unseen gap between the boot heel and highback.

Later when you flex your ankle, weight unweight during riding etc the boot will move back closing this boot heelcup gap but transferring the gap forward between your boot toe and cap strap.....the toe cap strap will then rise on top of the boot or fall down off the boot or just sit loose.

You can bet the boot will move back if a unseen gap is left, lots force going on in a boot binding interface to the board edge.
This is why the toe strap moving is such a varible event as strapping in is a varible event that needs the boot heel back in the cup.

This gap can happen not only because of forward lean, lots of reasons really all to do with not getting the boot heel back correctly .
The common one is lack of ankle flex something overlooked in snowboarding and not always gained on short trips.

Just to add another rider issue rather than just look at or blame equipment ice or snow buildup.
It could be lack of ankle flex or the varied inability of a rider to bend at the ankle in a boot and get the boot in a strap binding correctly.
Ankle flex is very inportant too snowboard.

This may be one reason some move to rear entry bindings, they just give up on why they can,t flex and get in or out of a std strap binding easily so then buy a rearentry binding.
As on shorter annual trips a riders snowboard specific ankle flex, range of motion may not happen.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 9-10-13 11:17; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a binding issue for the most part. My 2010 Cartels did the same. My new Cartels don't. Capstrap didnt slip off once this last trip and I have the forward lean set the same as my old ones.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Tirol 164....
Mine are definately older cartels, but I'm more than happy to take the blame rather than point at the equipment!

Yup, I am that 'annual rider' (mores the pity) and I'm not sure if I can increase my ankle flexibility... due partly to age (my 'now place left foot above right ear rock climbing days' are long gone!) but mainly because the boots are pretty inflexible.

I do have the backs of the bindings canted forward (following some now long forgotten advice) so do you recommend putting them in a more upright position?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy