Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauberhorn - how difficult is the run for a recreational skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All - I have searched other threads but can't find an answer to this question. We are planning on going to Wengen after the WC race (maybe early Feb). Is the Lauberhorn race run skiable for an average intermediate skier? I would love to have a go as it looks fantastic, but don't want to find myself out of my depth. What's it like to ski?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IIRC most of it is pretty straightforward red run. Just one possibly tricky bit for the less confident at the Hundschopf if it's busy, and a few bumpier bits near the bottom. I've certainly skied harder red runs. Think there's some information boards along the route too, explaining the various sections.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did it a few years ago. Kids were trying to do their best Bode Miller, or more accurately, Herman Maier impression, and getting crushed by the Russisprung. Some sections were extemely hard packed and icy, especially around the Hundschopf as it hadn't snowed in weeks. It was somewhat crowded when I was going down it, and had to pick my way through the overmatched wannabe WC skiers. Once you get off the top section and past the Hundshopf it's a breeze, and you can just tuck it and go full gas to the Alpweg, where you should check your speed before heading to the bottom of the course. Just keep your eyes peeled for the kids, in which the Swiss ski school seems to enjoy taking the kids down it for some good laughs. Have fun and don't break a leg, or a neck...

Or you can take a break and have a snack mid-way down to gather your frayed nerves
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is the typical length of the likes of this run. I know the FIS rules give a standard for vertical drop. Dont know of a minimum length of run.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find most of it like a steep red apart from the Hundschopf which if icy can be pretty tricky as its narrow and steep, although short. People sometimes slideslip this bit. Last section to Marys cafe also steep.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ianbradders, The Lauberhorn is the longest of all the World Cup runs by quite a bit but can't recall exactly how long

lynnecha, realistically there are only two tricky areas, the Hundschopf is one it's typically icy save after a heavy snow fall, and often has people who don't have sufficient skill trying to go down it which means you pretty much have to stop at the top an look down to make sure it's clear, unlike the racers who know it's clear, rock face going up on the left, crash nets preventing sailing off into space on right, at recreational speeds and having stopped at the top it shouldn't present any problems but you need to be aware of the course so please don't try in poor light conditions.

Only other spot on the course that really presents any problems is the Ziel Schuss, not because it's difficult but again because inexperienced skiers try it, get to the top, and then panic and side slip down often falling part way, so again to be safe you need to make sure the way below is clear when you get there, then just straight line it, from the top this may look quite scary, but there's a big run out area at the bottom (far larger than when the down hill race is on and the stands are all up) so there's plenty of space to stop.

Toadman, I think I did almost the whole course the first time aged 8 or 9 with the ski school, the only bit we couldn't do in those days was the section from the bottom of the Hundschopf to the top of the Bumps lift, in those days they closed of this part of the track pretty soon after the Lauberhorn was run and pre Lauberhorn as it was used as the sledge/walking path. Kids have no fear though and rarely have the mass to go as fast as adults can achieve

The kids to watch out for are the local ones in the Wengen race club, they really do go fast Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only really bad bits are avoidable - the Ziel Schuss and the finish section (although that seems flatter than it used to be) via alternate reds. The Hundschopf is usually OK - a bit of sidelipping is required as you do not go down the main face which is closed but there is a widish ledge around the edge and then a bit of a schuss or sideslip for the second half - if you are nervous it is best to go down late lunchtime or early pm - late pm is the back home as fast as we can brigade and arguably in the morning it can be icy whereas late lunchtoime most of the swiss are still eating and drinking and the sun has had an effect of softening up so there is a reasonable amount or occasionally more than a reasonable amount of grip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most (all?) world cup runs are read runs... So it'll be like a red run! If you do it very soon after a race you may find it super icy though - they get prepped (with water, or salt, or something Puzzled ) to make the course icier and faster.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2,768 miles (4.455 km). Most downhill courses are 2 miles or so.

clarky999, the one exception I can think of is the Face at Val d'Isere - not very often raced as a downhill.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynnecha, I agree with what D G Orf said! The only things I would add are that the bit going underneath the railway bridge can seem daunting (it's not as bad as it looks!) and that once you get about 2/3 of the way down, you can escape out onto a blue run back to Wengen if you need to!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks so much to all - this is exactly the information I wanted. I think I will have a go, but make sure I do it during the week at lunchtime, preferably in good light! Thanks again everyone!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynnecha, Early afternoon is the best time, the slopes have had some sun on them to take off the ice but hopefully not enough to make them slushy, do the run at about 1-2pm before most people finish their lunches and you should have a good run

I'd point out I have been skiing in the Wengen area since I was 3 years old (more than 4 decades ago now Sad ) and am very familiar with most of the runs
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Most (all?) world cup runs are read runs... So it'll be like a red run! If you do it very soon after a race you may find it super icy though - they get prepped (with water, or salt, or something Puzzled ) to make the course icier and faster.

Water-injected! Very hard and fast... surface like polished glass.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:

Schladming? That's a black, is that a World Cup course?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A big thank you to all who replied to this last Autumn. I have returned and with an enormous smile as I had a go and really enjoyed it. We arranged a private lesson with Martin Geurtse (?) from the Swiss Ski School - he grew up on the slalom piste - literally as his house is on the side of the piste - and he gave us a detailed tour with fantastic information and anecdotes all of the way down. It was fantastic, one of the best things I have ever done, not just in relation to skiing! I can recommend him as the most knowledgeable guide, he speaks perfect english as he lived in New Mexico for 10 years, and is just a generally charming and delightful fellow.

Thanks everyone who gave me the confidence to have a go. It was very skiable and Martin got me down the Hundschopf without injury to life or limb. We fell in love with Wengen and will be back next year.

Off to find the next WC downhill run to look at............
snow report
It'll be the Inferno for you next snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy