Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski suggestions please- much info I provide you with!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Halo snowHead

I'm 23, 5'10 and about 85kg, yes I drink beer and don't exercise that much, it's wonderful.

I've currently got a pair of 170 piste specific something-or-others from too long ago and a pair of the fischer watea 84s that are 176cm (I think). Last season I found that the wateas were a lot of fun to do shallow powder and everything on piste but as soon as there was any proper snow it was pretty tough to do that whole gnar pow shredding thing. I'm looking for a ski around the 100 to 110 under foot mark that's cracking off piste in deep snow, blasts through crud and variable snow but is also still fun to ski on piste. I feel the market is full of skis claiming to do that and it's pretty impossible to even make a start at choosing a ski so I've returned to the glorious forum of snowheads to utilise this fountain of skiing knowledge.

I'm a pretty good skier, did my CSIA lvl 2 when I was 18 and while I've probably regressed with some of the technical short radius nonsense they taught us my off piste skiing has come on a lot since then. Last year I took out the volkl mantra a couple of times and really enjoyed them. I also think the salomon rocker 2 is pretty, I like my skis to be pretty. I think the moment deathwish looks like it ticks most of the boxes but it looks crap and I might be a bit of a poser from time to time and would not want to tell anyone that I was on the deathwishes..

I look forward to hearing your suggestions, googling them and then watching the latest episodes of salomon free ski thinking "I could do that...oh but maybe not that... or that....oooor that".
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Twin tips? Camber? Will you be touring with them?

The best thing to do would have been to start shopping a month or two ago, of course. In the absense of a time machine, reading one or more of the many, many threads on the subject on this forum or others will help... here's one to get you started: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104424

My suggestions (in the absense of more useful information from you!) would be: Blizzard Cochise, Praxis Freeride or MVP, Down CD6 or 7. I wouldn't necessarily describe any of them as pretty. Praxis at least will do you a custom build with a topsheet of your choice, but there's at least a 4 week lead time on that which may be too long for you. I do have a 15% Praxis discount code if you do go that route. I also have some 186 Rossignol S3s with the 2012 topsheet that I'm thinking of selling which might do for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serriadh, thanks for the response. I don't have any intention of doing any touring. I'm not too fussed about twins either but would assume a camber under foot and rocker would be the ski shape that would I want.

I've never heard of Praxis or Down before, maybe I'd get cool points for being out of the mainstream? I thought the MVPs look great.

I'm going to be in the three valleys for a fair chunk of January and would be keen to try before I buy, I'm assuming it's much harder to do that with these more boutique brands?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It'll be all but impossible to demo most of the fancy US brands over here, unfortunately (bit of a challenge in the US too, unless you live in their neighbourhood). Down is Swiss though, so if you drop them an email you might be able to see some of their stuff in person.

If you're not already familiar with this site: http://blistergearreview.com/ you should have a read of their reviews.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy