Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems with a sprained ankle...

Poster: A snowHead
So I sprained my ankle pretty badly falling a couple of meters onto it whilst bouldering in June and I'm still having big problems with it. It's very stiff in the mornings, so I'm literally hobbling about the place whilst it warms up. The range of motion is drastically reduced particularly flexing forward as you would when testing the flex of a ski boot. I'd say I can get about 40% of the distance I can with the good ankle and I get a lot of pain mostly up through the rear of my ankle and joint trying it. Range of motion the other way (pointing toes out) is completely pain free and unimpaired as is rotating although I can feel some odd clicking there. I completed all the physio I was given and can climb and ski on it although how good that is for the joint, and my others that must be compensating, is questionable. It was also x-rayed at the time so is unlikely to be fractured.

I've already resolved to go see a doctor who will presumably MRI it but that won't happen until after Christmas now so I'm seeing if anyone has any ideas, similar experiences or advice on what to maybe expect. Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh, I had almost the same when a heavy motorbike landed on my ankle on a damp field. I skied a few months later and had to have assistance to get a ski boot over it. I still have a bit of pain two years later and find that continuing with the physio (wobble board and balance cushion helps). It really does take a lot of physio sometimes to get the range of motion back, I'm not sure how much you actually did.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa, bug, really is a PITA. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lightly working sprains is good for them, try balancing on that one leg to build up all those little ligaments that you have torn. But if you overwork it then you can easily damage them.
Sprains can come in many varying degrees, so its hard to judge how your recovery will be.

My ankle sprain was quite bad - was on crutches for nearly a month but it didn't stop me snowboarding 5 months later Very Happy Don't expecting the random pains and occasional swelling to end any time soon.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sheeplovebeer, yer I was on crutches for a while as well. FWIW as I understand it complications are relatively common and are more often the cause of persistent swelling and pain rather than the main injury itself. I also have no pain in the sprained area or instability in the joint itself so I'm pretty sure the sprain is actually healed at this point. Reading the literature it seems that impingement caused by scar tissue from improperly immobilizing the joint (I was in a tube sock rather than an aircast) is relatively common and quite successfully resolved with arthroscopic surgery. Not that I particularly want to do that right at the start of the ski season!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
meh, yes, I would guess it's scar tissue. My ankle was in a pot for 6 weeks or so and was practically rigid when it came off. As part of my physio I had ultrasound to break up the scar tissue. Frankly, I was a complete pain and wouldn't let them discharge me until it was OK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh, sounds like internal scaring. Massage and manipulation may be a better option than just straight to surgery . . . the other thing is you may have triggered an arthritic condition . . . welcome to my world . . . the MRI should tell you what's going on and then it's down to you and your physio . . . but more on you to work it through and out. But be aware this may now be a lifelong condition and you'll have to learn to manage it.

Try to do it without pharmaceutical assistance for as long as possible . . . I just like to hear people scream Twisted Evil

Acupuncture is also an option if there's no physically obvious problem
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers guys will be off to the doctor this week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ankle sprains can take months to settle but if you have had good physio the movement should have returned by now.
If the ankle was normal beforehand and not fractured then i would be concerned about damage to the dome shaped ankle bone called the talus.
You need a diagnosis, MRI is going to be really useful.
I took a divot out of my talus about ten years ago and occasionally have to take an anti - inflammatory when skiing. Stretches help aswell .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonathan Bell, thanks. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is scaring me. Badly twisted my ankle a week ago and it's barely improved - seeing the doc tomorrow. Am now worried...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Harry Flashman, Mine was like a grapefruit and the colour changes for the next week weeks were quite impressive. I did ski a few months later but as said I had difficulty getting a ski boot on. 10 months later I was running 13 miles, doing cross country etc with little instability, and that soon went. It's just a little pain I get from time to time, X ray confirmed no bone damage.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can you put weight on it? I couldn't at all and was hobbling with crutches for a while, gradually getting more weight on it. I can ski on it okay and was bouldering tonight so I'm by no means crippled. I just hobble around like an old man in the mornings, don't have full range of motion and it can be painful at times.

I'm having a good run of it as well, got a nice scar from a rock impact and stitches on my elbow and just fully recovered from a cracked rib!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, Ouch... not good, you have been in the wars.

I couldn't weight mine for about 3 days, had to ride the bike back from Anglesey just after the accident with my leg held up as I'd snapped the peg and rear brake bracket off. That led to some good thigh cramps after nearly two hours. Never mind hopping across a petrol station forecourt Laughing

Harry Flashman, if you can't put any weight on after a week then get it X-rayed at least to make sure there is no major damage or even small chips loose inside it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks chaps. Actually I am walking about - limping, but really is little pain compared to how it was for 3 days' after, and swelling has gone down a lot. I definitely cannot run or even walk that fast though.

It's hell first thing in the morning before being warmed up, and very easily tired. Will see what the doc says and keep hoping that skiing in 7 weeks' time is realistic...
latest report
Scarpa, youch! (carcrash moment!) Mad
ski holidays
meh, Done exactly the same to my right ankle on 14th December. Now I'm in the same position as you, pain is up the back of the leg from heel to lower calf. If I stand on my leg and rotate it is painful and the joint feels tight compared to my left ankle especially in the mornings. I went to A&E after 2 weeks because it was still quite painful to walk. Consultant nurse examined my ankle and declared no evidence of fracture (therefore x-ray not justified) but diagnosed sprain of the ligaments around the ankle bone. Nurse reckoned it could be at least 6 weeks to get better. Was given a leaflet showing what exercises to do and advised to go back if it got no better after 6 weeks. Off skiing at end of Feb and I'm not expecting too many problems but it is painful when I flex forward and I can't squat down for too long Sad
latest report
Scarpa, My left ankle looked like that 14 months ago when i twisted it running to get the front door.

I wasn't able to put weight on it for 3-4 days. Then i wore a compression bandage for a few months.

Eventually, as it was not getting better, I had it checked out, The MRI showed that i have completely torn 2 lateral side ( left side of left foot) ligaments, caused some tearing to a tendon, and made a huge divot (1cm sq) into my cartilage.

I was booked in for surgery, which i just had 2 weeks ago. Was supposed to be keyhole, but ended up being 2 holes and an 8 inch gash along the ankle and foot so they could reconstruct everything.

meh, In the months of waiting in between the accident and my recent surgery i had an Otto Bock ankle brace on from waking up till going to bed every day, otherwise it was very unstable and i had less confidence in the ankle.
With the brace i would walk about 4-5 miles a day, but feel it towards the end of the day. I could even bicycle a fair bit. But Running was a no-go.

It sounds like you might need a bit of re-construction as well. It would make sense that you could ski on it, b/c your are secured in the book. I even entertained the idea but never followed though b/c i knew i have already blown a heck of a lot in the ankle. (sucks not skiing for 2 whole seasons)

Oh, and an X-Ray won't show any of this, you Need an MRI or even a CT to see the damage. They X-Rayed my ankle the day i twisted it. and sent me off. Had they MRI'd it, they woudl have known it needed immediate attention.

It is better to reconstruct with fresh tears instead of rubbishy old scared tears that had shriveled and curled up.

halfhand, How did the skiing go in Feb?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy