Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

XSCAPE Castleford – You can sell anything once!

Poster: A snowHead
<<Buying my Ticket>>
Arrived ready to ski at 5.00pm for 2hrs and buy a ticket for £31. The 2hr ticket basically saved me £11 as the cost for 1hr is £21.

When purchasing the ticket I was told that they would be closing the slope for 1hr at 6pm to groom the slope.

No problem I thought I would do 1hr 5pm – 6pm and the other hour 6pm – 7pm and asked for a ticket at which point I was asked to pay £42. Apparently the 2hr offer only applied to consecutive hours.

My obvious protests were met with no explanation and I found myself in the middle of a “Computer Says No” sketch from Little Britain.

I therefore decided to only ski for an hour, after all I had never been before and it might not be too great.

<<Storing my Clothes>>
After paying a further £1 to use a locker I had ended up paying £22.

<<Getting my Boots>>
After being given a pair of size 9 Salomon Boots I was a little surprised as my own boots are Salomon and they felt like they had far too much room in the base. When I investigated further I realised each boot was missing an in-sole. When I inquired about this I was told by the Xscape staff that they did not have any in-soles for the boots, looking at the boot it obviously should have had an in-sole and wasn’t some none in-sole hire boot!

I therefore retrieved some insoles from my own trainers which cost me a further £1 to get into my locker (£23).

<<Getting my Skis>>
Next I was presented with a 150cm pair of skis, at no time had I been asked my ability level or preference but I had been asked my weight which is 13stone. My own skis are 170cm which I think is about right for a 13 stone good skier. I settled for a 160 at which point my DIN was set, again without any consultation.

<<The Slope, The Lift, The Queues>>
When I eventually got on the slope it had quite a lot of ice on it, which is probably fair enough as it was about to be groomed. What did however annoy me further was the fact that we had only 1 lift running and we had quite large lift queues. In addition a fast lane queue for the Ski School was in operation but was being used by people clearly not in a lesson – none of which was policed by the lift operators or instructors.

<<In Summary>>
I can fully understand the costs involved in running an operation such as Xscape and really don’t mind paying a premium to ski round the corner from Leeds. But unfortunately I felt I had been let down at every point of my experience. I know people might think my expectations are too high but surely the quality of experience could be improved.

It’s a cliché to say “you can sell anything once” but in this case I am afraid it’s true. I was in a work group of 6 people and we all came to the same conclusion. A plan to take a trip monthly to Xscape between now and a planned ski weekend at the end of February will now no longer happen. No big deal for Xscape I am sure but 6people x £31 x 5 visits is close to £1000!!!
Shocked NehNeh Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be interesting to see their response if you e-mailed those comments to them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NorthWestFace, I think you are totally justified. Why not copy this post to Xscape and give them a chance to redeem themselves. if no one complains how will they know.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NorthWestFace, I know what you mean about the lockers and the lift queues, we were told the fast lane queue was in fact there to help stop people queuing at the bottom of the run. The thing that really bothers me about Xscape at Castleford is the way they lie to beginners who have had lessons, telling them they are better than they actually are and that they don't need lessons in the resorts. Eventually someone will venture to the mountains for the first time, take their advice and be seriously hurt or even killed. very irresponsible advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NorthWestFace, See my post about the ski excellence lesson.

Im in two minds as to email them about my experience, but after all my other bad experiences I dont think it will go anywhere.

The locker thing really winds me up, the first time i used one i didnt quite lock it properly and turned the key to find out why it didnt lock... it then swallowed my £1. coin. by the time I'd asked at reception for a refund they said "tough luck matey" and I'd lost oabout 15 mins of my skiing time !

then there are the long lift queues... they wont open another one unless you take someone hostage.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
£1 for the lockers!!!!!

20p at Tamworth Snowdome!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's a very similar to what I thought about my experience last time I skied at Milton Keynes. There was no effort at making sure the skier's experience was positive, and the £1 locker business is guaranteed to wind people up. I'd rather pay an extra £1 on my ticket and be able to get into my locker whenever I wanted to add/remove a layer of clothing, pick up something I've forgotten etc. It seems that having a 'celebrity CEO' hasn't helped XScape focus on the customer at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair wrote:
It would be interesting to see their response if you e-mailed those comments to them.

It would be good to have PY Gerbeau (the Head of XScape) as a member of snowHeads - anyone know him?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, I'm sure his e-mail can be guessed at. Maybe someone could make a formal approach? Loads of SHs seem to use the facilities...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a bad experience on my last Castleford trip, no student discount so I had to pay £30ish for two hours, lots of queueing as only one lift open. The thing that really annoyed me was the staff who all look about 12 patronisingly telling me off for going too near the moguls and other trivial things that caused no danger or inconvenience to anybody. I won't be back soon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just so this thread dosnt look totaly one sided I wish to add my several visits to Cas' have all been enjoyable ones.
Yes the locker thing is a bit of a con, but that is the only complaint I have of the place so far. Im going in the next week
or so, so all will be seen then.

All in all though it is not a bad only alternative to the real stuff
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, Me 2. but I have only been twice, both on snowheads get togethers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me 3
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ive been loads of times and it all depends on what time of day you you go, i generally go mid week in the morning.

this ways theres little traffic from manchester, hardly anyone on the slope even with only one lift open and the slope is fresh.

ive been at regular times of day with the other half and its a horrid experience in comparison.

the locker thing is dire, ive lost a few quid for no reason.

i get 25% discount so only usually pay 18 quid for two hours which is about where the price should be for everyone.

PS snowboarders ... DONT stop and the middle of the slope and sit and have a pic nick, if your going to fall let me know first !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Royal wrote:
ive been loads of times and it all depends on what time of day you you go, i generally go mid week in the morning.

this ways theres little traffic from manchester, hardly anyone on the slope even with only one lift open and the slope is fresh.

i get 25% discount so only usually pay 18 quid for two hours which is about where the price should be for everyone.

PS snowboarders ... DONT stop and the middle of the slope and sit and have a pic nick, if your going to fall let me know first !

Im very much the same, mornings are good, nice dig at the boarders tho Laughing Laughing

ps how come you get a 25% discount, i want one wink
ski holidays
I must have been lucky so far (xcept for the odd quid in locker), or perhaps my snow addiction is making me blind to problems.
The Sunday morning Lions Club session is good value, even better if you're qualified/willing to teach. The xscape management are currently putting their foot in, trying to stop Lions teaching beginners.
snow report
MartinH, having regard to the insurance implications, I'm surprised that they let anyone other than their staff do any teaching on the slope. Was/is your arrangement agreed with their underwriters?
latest report
NorthWestFace - Went yesterday morning to Castleford xscape and not having children, didn't realise it was half term (yes I know!) queued for 20 mins and was eventually told it was £31 for the 2 hours I normally do instead of the £20 "Mature" rate. My friend and I decided against spending perfectly good beer money and went up and had a coffee.

I must add at this point, that the normal pay station was closed and everyone was queuing at the clothes hire place (where lots of young skiers were also getting outfitted) and only 2 people were taking money (£31 for 2 hour remember) and also supplying the ski gear.

Went upstairs and ordered coffee so we could gaze longingly at frozen water and people going up and down it but also noticed that there were 4 people serving on at the bar. In fact we got 2 people getting our coffees. I may be wrong here but isn't it more cost beneficial to have one person taking £31 in 3 minutes than 2 people taking £3 in 3 minutes.

I may be old fashioned (quiet at the back) but I know which I'd rather have. Mangement is a word that should be whispered in someone's ear! Anyone aware of any problems there?
snow report
Just read my last post and it seemed a tad too negative. We go there every month for 2 hours in the morning during the week and it's great. Conditions are OK for the 1st hour (until the snowboarders take off the top layer) but I wouldn't miss it as it's all that keeps us going through the (far too long ) summer.
snow conditions
there you go again having a pop at the snowboarders !

I think the management need a good shouting at and not just the underlings at cas but the ones holding the purse strings !

"Get those lifts open when it gets busy, and if you havent got enough staff, get off your back bottom and do it yourself !"
snow report
ooh..... back bottom where did that come from !
snow report
Royal, the site's automatic profanity filter. Check 'iffy' words with preview to see what does and does not get changed.
ski holidays
Alan Craggs, no idea about their insurance, I just joined them.

harryok525, long entrance queue cuts down on slope overcrowding, if they let everyone on it would be mayhem. I'm not saying that's the best way to control it. Trouble is, we want it all - instant access, an empty slope and discounts.

Royal, we all know what you mean! snowHead
latest report
Anyone know why some company hasn't built something on the side of a bl00dy big hill that could give us something a little more? Obviously it would need to be covered by some form of concave roof but it seems fairly feasible to me?

Maybe it's the cost? If it was a good 250m run though I would be certainly turning up on a regular basis. North East Wales Maybe? I am sure there would be conservation issues but they can always paint the roof green or even turf it! North East Wales would be Nice for me!!!!!!!
ski holidays
I suspect it comes down as you say to enviromental issues, also it's more difficult to build on a hillside than on the flat, over say 250M of hill you would need a really accurate survey before you started to build
snow conditions
NorthWestFace,

Quote:

Maybe it's the cost? If it was a good 250m run though I would be certainly turning up on a regular basis. North East Wales Maybe? I am sure there would be conservation issues but they can always paint the roof green or even turf it! North East Wales would be Nice for me!!!!!!!

Do you mean like this one ? http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/slopes-snowdonia.html

Whether it ever actually gets built is another matter.

Alternatively come and ski with us at Yad Moss for only £12 per day or £25 for 2 free days and £5 per day thereafter. Or try the Lake District Ski Club.

I appreciate we carn't guarantee the snow at convenient times, but neither can the indoor centres by the sound of it. At least we won't rip you off and we are quite friendly ! snowHead
snow report
Peter S,

Looks great and only 1.15 hour from my house! I may well take you up on the Yad Moss front - How much lugging of skis and boots is involved?
snow report
NorthWestFace, You must drive fast then, take's me 30-40 mins and its only 20 mile !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1.15 from chester? you must have a lead foot, the main reason I haven;t been yet is I reckon itd be 3 and a half hours from stockport!
snow report
It takes me an hour from Stockport at a sensible speed.
snow report
srobbo, nbt,

I was talking about travelling to Snowdonia (Llanberis) being 1.15 from my house - see post from Peter S.
snow conditions
NorthWestFace, Ok, just got confused when you mentioned Yad Moss on the same line ! Confused

For info, M'chester/Stockport to Yad Moss, good day should be 2-2.25 hours, allowing slightly longer in Winter to cope with Hardside Pass, still should manage in under 3 hours. Well worth a trip if weather/conditions are good. And you could also pick me up on the way, as you would have to drive past my house.
snow report
srobbo,

I just checked out the site - looks very impressive! I have got to give it a go- skiing in England without being in a big fridge! Your more than welcome for a lift / show me the way!
snow report
I'd dearly love to ski Yad moss area - I was talking to a local biker whogrew up round that way, he's called Bruce Wilkinson, member of wearside ski club he said? Made it sounds great.

I was actually thinking of staying in garrigill and taking the bikes with us as well as skis - if it;'s good snow, we'll ski, if not we'll ride bikes
ski holidays
nbt, Not a bad idea, plenty of good biking country to explore,
latest report
Where abouts in the Eden Valley are you srobbo ?

You must live in that favoured area for English skiing - half way between Yad Moss and Raise and only an hour and a half from Manchester airport snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Peter S, Penrith, get the best of both worlds, minutes from peace and quiet, but good access to the motorway for the commute to work.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy