Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used Head Edge 70 boots? Bargain at Decathlon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having not been skiing for about eight years I've had to re-kit myself out a bit as most of my old stuff has been charity-shopped. I've now bought a new helmet, goggles and gloves and the last purchase for my upcoming trip (4th time skiing, just nudging intermediate level) is going to be my first pair of boots. I can't get clearance to spend £300-400 on new boots so i'm looking around for something cheaper and found these these HEAD Edge 70 boots at a bargain price at Decathlon. Has anyone had any experience of these boots in action or Decathlon's fitting service.

My only alternative to getting boots like this at this price level is to hire them when I get there. I'm assuming I'd better getting these (assuming they fit well) or similar as hire boots must surely be generic to accommodate all types of feet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

as hire boots must surely be generic to accommodate all types of feet.

a decent hire shop will have a range of boots. And if they're not 100% at least you've not spent much for the week. If you have normal kind of feet and haven't had problems with hired boots in the past you might be better off waiting till you can go to a good bootfitter and get something that's really right for you.

Even at that very low price, you'd get four or five years hire, if you only go once a year. You might be wanting higher-end boots before then. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure they'd do you for your first trip. They would probably do you for your second. But unless you are really very small and light, they are going to be too soft for much beyond that. As you describe yourself as intermediate, I'd wager these are probably too soft for you already.

Where are you based? There's shops that keep secondhand boots in stock, and if you make it clear to them that budget is king, they'll try and do what they can for the money you've got. £100 would pick up a decent pair in the right size that are a reasonable fit for you.

The chances of this particular boot fitting you, without the assistance of any fitting tools (Decathlon have no facility for modifying boots or even making custom footbeds) seem pretty slim unless you have the most ordinary and average feet that there are. But if you had a store within a few miles, no harm in going and trying them out I suppose. Take someone who knows what they are doing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monium wrote:
Where are you based? There's shops that keep secondhand boots in stock, and if you make it clear to them that budget is king, they'll try and do what they can for the money you've got. £100 would pick up a decent pair in the right size that are a reasonable fit for you..

Where would one find such an emporium as this? I live in the Sw, Bath, but frequently travel up to the Midlands, Leicester, so would be interested in knowing of any good second hand suppliers of repute

TIA
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium wrote:
I'm sure they'd do you for your first trip. They would probably do you for your second. But unless you are really very small and light, they are going to be too soft for much beyond that. As you describe yourself as intermediate, I'd wager these are probably too soft for you already.

Also, what do you mean by soft?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ratae Corieltauvorum wrote:

Also, what do you mean by soft?

I'm learning about all this too, but my understanding is that the rigidity of the boot (called flex) is low, which means it won't transmit force to the skis as well as a more rigid boot. These boots are aimed at complete beginners.

tb
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i thought i'd posted but for some reason it didn't work.

yes, the flex index refers to how bendy (or soft) they are. my understanding is that you want good shin contact throughout a knee/ankle flex without it being sore. a flex index of 70 is right at the bendy end of the scale. depending on your height, weight, skiing ability and style you may well want something a little more rigid. a bootfitter would help you with this.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ratae Corieltauvorum wrote:

Where would one find such an emporium as this? I live in the Sw, Bath, but frequently travel up to the Midlands, Leicester, so would be interested in knowing of any good second hand suppliers of repute

TIA

Just go to the Midlands by driving up the M4 and M40 - Ski Bartlett is just off M40 and has such a collection. I know this because I was there yesterday and they did. Plus some fairly useful boot chaps that will get you sorted.

There might be others, and people should be able to reccomend some options, but I've not been to those (largely, it seems because I don't live there)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium wrote:

I've heard it said that a beginner/intermediate should go for a boot between 50-80 (?) in the flex range. I'm not sure at what point you go from beginner to intermediate but I have about 3-4 weeks piste time and can parallel turn (but by no means neatly or smoothly Shocked). Could be I'm still classed as a beginner. As for weight I'm packing around 14st @ 5' 11" so (ahem) I'm no lightweight.

The driving force behind this is to get better ski boots than the hired ones and cost wise (and at that sort of purchase price) it looks like it would only take two trips to pay for themselves.

On a technical level, is someone able to explain what makes these Rosignol boots that much better than the Head ones when they both have a flex rating of 70?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SiPieFace, IMO, with your stats/level you should be in a 110-120 flex boot
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm - My 70 flex Head 9's are very much adequate for me - 14st, 5'9", 30+ weeks skiing....Decathlon have no fitting service at all really though so I'd try barletts instead personally.

aj xx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium wrote:
Where are you based? There's shops that keep secondhand boots in stock, and if you make it clear to them that budget is king, they'll try and do what they can for the money you've got. £100 would pick up a decent pair in the right size that are a reasonable fit for you.

I'm in Cheshire, North West. Would be obliged if anyone knew of a shop in the area that sells and can fit second hand boots.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rivington Alpine will refit 2nd hand boots. I don't think they sell them 2nd hand though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy