Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski grinding (and p-tex guns)

Poster: A snowHead
When they service skis it seems like the big ski shops cannot be prevented from grinding your ski bases on their sanding belts till any small repairs are invisible and the whole ski base has been thinned. I always try, but they seemingly cannot help themselves.

My ski bases are now very thin and a small gouge I made in my ski base on Friday at the bottom of Hampstead Heath has gone right through the p-tex to show a small glimpse of the layer above.

I am hoping to repair my beloved Scott Missions for one more season. Is there anywhere near London who will do what I ask and fill the holes without overgrinding and killing them?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-12-10 11:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, Try it yourself... I bought one of those p-tex repair pistols from spyderjon and with a little of the magic metal sticking tape it's easy to even repair quite deep holes. About £50 but you can also repair your friends skis for a small contribution of beer money.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I think that sounds like good advice,Scarpa. I've used p-tex candles regularly but they aren't that good for serious repairs. I'm not sure what the sticking tape does, though. I think I had better contact spyderjon. I would feel more confident if I had seen a demonstration. Where is he based?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, You can prob find any demos you require on you tube. I found the pistol to be so much better than the candles. I use a cheapo dedicated (to avoid flux residue) soldering iron to heat up the base and then extrude the pistol into the hole. Once it's set I just use a metal scraper (Scarpa vs scraper Laughing ) to shave the material off and level the base and a touch of rough emery paper to continue the structure across the repair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, thanks. I've PMed spyderjon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa, i cant seem to get the gun thingy to work well. whenever i have tried to do a repair the ptex from the pistol is kinda rubbery and pulls out when scraped.. any ideas ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, let it cool more...or file it off with an illegitimate file
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, i use a barstewart at the moment but perhaps need to let is set longer... unless it is a deep core shot i have been using regular old ptex seems to work better for me. might need a proper over the shoulder lesson on this though
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, also make sure the wound is clean before you start and, if possible, heat up the surrounding base. A hair dryer might help. I have a temperature controller hot air gun that goes down to 160C which seems to help.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, ah good point... i had been using an iron but now that you mention pre heating perhaps i am getting some wax in the "wound" and need to de grease, probably should add a hair dryer to my bag of spanners , more junk to buy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, is the gouge down to the core?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, talked about a soldering iron, not just a hair dryer - really melting the old edge to get a bond. I am a bit nervous about that - that was why I was rather wanting a lesson rather than just a you tube clip.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, some tips:
- p-tex won't stick to metal or core material (it only bonds to other p-tex) so in cases were there's a lot of exposed edge or core either a metal grip foundation layer needs welding in first or, if it's a small deep repair, just fill the hole completely with metal grip.
- thoroughly degrease.
- the repair site needs to be heated to the point were the p-tex (adjacent to it) starts to soften/melt before you pull the trigger otherwise you won't get a proper 'welded' joint.
- let the repair fully cool.
- dress off with a sharp chisel & then a few quick londitundinal rubs with some sand paper.

If using a metal soldering iron be carefully as they tend to run at approx 500C whereas the p-tex melting temp is approx 285C. The pucka base repair pistols & gas base solderers (Base Doc) are designed to run at the right temperature. If using a soldering iron a 10-15mm circular/elliptical shaped head works best.

snowball, I haven't seen a PM?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, said
Quote:
I've used p-tex candles regularly but they aren't that good for serious repairs.

For smaller scrapes, I find the trick with candles is to not drip the pTex from too high, but to keep the flame just in contact with the base.

This has the double effect of heating the existing base material so that the molten pTex bonds better, and prevents too much oxygen getting to the flame, minimizing the amount of carbon that builds up in the flame.

As Jon said - for more serious core shots, particularly at the edges I don't bother with pTex any more, but just wack in some araldite / epoxy metal or whatever.

After edge-filing & base-scraping, I often give a quick once over with a B&D belt sander
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, thanks jon!!
snow report
snowball, have sent you a PM, might have another option for you Smile
snow report
spyderjon, Goob point about the iron... I just dab with a fine tip but I actually use a little butane pocket one.
ski holidays
Re-PMed youspyderjon. Thanks radar, PMed you too.
latest report
snowball, when my own repairs haven't cut the mustard I've gone to Ski Bartlett in Hillingdon (to the extent that the tech groaned the second time I went through his door!). They do a good job with filling rather than just grinding bases. I never go to S&R now - I had a pair that managed about two services there before ending up like yours sound.
latest report
Thanks Graham. (Only 5 weeks to Verbier! -Yipee)
ski holidays
hi guys, quick question just bought some skis on ebay. the seller said they had a small scratch and only after i won did he send me a couple of photos to clarify. from looking at these pics do you reckon i can repair it with p-tex or is it a core shot? any other opinions would be helpful as i need to decide what to do!

latest report
rishik, Shocked

Defo repairable but ffs you need to claw the cost back from the arsewipe that called that a "small scratch"! put in a complaint to ebay asap!

If ever there was a warning Toofy Grin
ski holidays
hi mate cheers for getting back to me so quickly... so you reckon i can do with p-tex (it isn't too deep i.e not the core, i read p-tex doesn't work well on deep or core scratches)?

yeah when i pick them up, i'll be having words, and if he isn't reasonable then i will definitely put a complaint in!
snow conditions
rishik, Give Spyderjon http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/ a nudge with an email inc. the pics for a rough estimate of the repair including shipping and get that off the price. That is NOT a 'small scratch' but it's not terminal damage.
ski holidays
rishik, you will need a bit more than a Ptex candle, Ptex strips and a base doc, it doesn't look like its gone to the core which means you won't need metal grip.
ski holidays
rishik, reparable no problem (I've skied on worse damage for several weeks before getting round to repairing it before), but you should definitely be getting money off for it...
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
snowball, You can prob find any demos you require on you tube. I found the pistol to be so much better than the candles. I use a cheapo dedicated (to avoid flux residue) soldering iron to heat up the base and then extrude the pistol into the hole. Once it's set I just use a metal scraper (Scarpa vs scraper Laughing ) to shave the material off and level the base and a touch of rough emery paper to continue the structure across the repair.

Get to Spyderjon and the Piste Office

He is based up near Nottingham but he does have DVD based tutorials and all the kit to purchase. I did a half day course with him and can say it is well worth the trip up there. Brilliant time not to mention you sort your skis out at the same time. If there is more life in them he will get it out for you and explain why you should never let anyone near your skis. Especially grinding them just because they have a machine.

You will not regret the money or the time once you have been on the course. Many other comment on here concur.
ski holidays
rishik, "winning" does not apply to auctions, not on ebay nor anywhere else.

Unless you mean winning to imply that you've by definition paid more than market value.

Anyway, doesn't look too serious, but doesn't look as though there's that much life left in them.

Hope you didn't win too high a price.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers for the advice guys - will defo drop spyderjon a line shortly and get his opinion!

i haven't paid for them and am picking them up on monday, so i can easily just tell the guy to go jump, if the repair is too costly.
snow report
That is easily repairable by a ski tech, will be good as new.
I would ask the guy for about £20 off to cover cost of this, assuming skis are otherwise in good nick.

HTH snowHead
latest report
 cran
cran
rishik, That's only a small scratch, easy to repair.

Knock £20-£30 off the price to cover the ptex and a scraper and a box of matches
latest report
Yup - if you are near the Piste Office then make use of the knowledge contained within Cool

I get all my supplies from Spyderjon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy