Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 2-9 -- Val Thorens: Solo skiier looking for group/make up new party

Poster: A snowHead
March 2-9 Val T.

Male, mid 40s, skier --

Love snow, live snow, eat snow Happy

Looking to join existing group or put together a new group heading out to Val T.

Am super easy going - University lecturer. Will ski anything/anywhere on or off-piste. But also like to take in apres-ski

Happy to make up a single for groups stuck with an odd-number/last minute drop out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CharlieL, Paris school holidays. Shudder..... Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi CharlieL, I'm new here. Just curious, why do you pick March, is it because it fits you better or because snow conditions in Val Thorens?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, just works out better with work commitments - but also misses the UK half-term (appreciate that Paris may be on holiday though). Val T because of the great snow (the station is at 2300m) and I really like the 3V. The following week also an option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we can offer 9 March in Courchevel just a quick slide from VT with lots of good company
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CharlieL wrote:
Yes, just works out better with work commitments - but also misses the UK half-term (appreciate that Paris may be on holiday though). Val T because of the great snow (the station is at 2300m) and I really like the 3V. The following week also an option.

Paris half term is worse (in terms of busyness) than UK half term in my experience. Plus the Parisians are extremely rude!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like the whole of mid-Feb to mid-March (more or less) is half-term in France.

Edit: Now thinking of changing to week of March 9-16th.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I might be interested (male, 56) - love 3V. I was looking at Verbier (staying in the bunker) as I need to go as cheap as possible. However I am flexible and if you are still interested...

Can't make the 9th-16th though.

More details in my post here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96350#2202900
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

thinking of changing to week of March 9-16th.

see my post above - Paris school holidays.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are planning to go 9-16 mar to either val thorens or similar snow sure resort. We are a group of 3 similarly looking to add to a larger group/ avoid single sups in a larger chalet. We are a couple (38 and 42) with our male friend also 38 (who's missus is not so into skiing). We are all intermediate to advanced skiers (mainly reds and blacks with a bit of venturing off piste) and also enjoy a bit of après ski. We are going to ischgl in feb so hoping to get a cheaper second week in mar.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a cheaper second week in mar

not many people see Val Thorens as a cheap option!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Possibly cheaper than ischgl though for the chalet anyway- I suspect beer prices are somewhat different though. Then yes taking that into account perhaps not cheaper
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here are the dates of the French school holidays over that period:

Zone A: Grenoble, Lyon, Toulouse ... 23/2 - 11/3
Zone B: Dijon, Aix-Marseille, Nice ... 16/2 - 4/3
Zone C: Paris, Bordeaux ... 2/3 - 18/3

I'd reckon that 9-16/3 likely to be less busy than 2-9/3 because of the Zone A/C overlap. Zone A being the locals.

It has never been a problem in the past though - skiing during Zone C period - at least in my experience. I've always found the teenage Paris snowboarding crowd to be so polite, cultured and debonair Happy

Ultimately it comes down to whenever I can get off work.

Still interested to tie in with some other folks if anyone is up for it. Some other guys I know are going to Meribel so that is also an option in the 3V - either VT or Meribel.

ps. I am UK based (North West) - used to live in Grenoble, so would be traveling from Liverpool.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 16-01-13 21:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've always found the teenage Paris snowboarding crowd to be so polite, cultured and debonair

Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've always found the teenage Paris snowboarding crowd to be so polite, cultured and debonair

Laughing

Just like the brit teenage snowboarding crowd then?
ski holidays
Either party all know when us Brits are swearing at them even though they pretend otherwise
ski holidays
Peas in a pod Very Happy
latest report
We have already booked time off work so we are tied to 9-16 mar. We are wiltshire way so would go from Bristol or Birmingham other than that we are flexible just want reasonably good price and more importantly snow!
ski holidays
Maybe we could all look at some options for 9-16/3 - and see what we could come up with? Do you guys have any preferences for VT or Meribel? I'm happy with either. There is some decent availability of apartments from what I can see at the moment - can end up pretty cheap cost-wise per head for 4/5/6 people + whoever else might be interested. If you guys are interested just post links here - I can do the same. I guess a huge + for VT is the snow, mid-late season. Was there last year (1st time having been at Chamonix for a while) during the same week (2nd week March). We had great snow all week in VT + glorious sun, no wind, but it was getting mushy at Meribel in the sun after midday --
snow report
As you say VT is more snow sure that time of year but obviously costs a bit more because of that. I think my preference would be for the snow. What about courcheval is trios vallees but in between meribel and vt in terms of altitude. I've never been so have no strong feelings either way. Would also consider catered chalet too if you are up for it. Will have a look and post some links
snow report
Never been to Courcheval - at the other end of the 3Vs to Val T. You can ski over there from any of the 3Vs stations but the general impression I get is that it is the most expensive - apparently popular with Russian oligarchs and guys in dark suits, shades and ear pieces. Price wise I can't say I noticed that Val T was any more expensive than Chamonix. Wherever you go these days it seems you end up paying 17 euros for a hot dog sausage and frites on the mountain - but there are always cheaper places around (one in Val T is the burger shack near the Place Carron in the Centre of the resort - loved that place).
latest report
I know that most people like the though of been in a high resort but just got back from 3V- La Tania 1350 and tons of snow up to waist on pieste at one stage last week.. and cheaper that 1850 (now called "Corcheval") although they have been spending Millions on new lifts and covered moving carpets it can be extra cold... go for it and enjoy..
snow conditions
Ok so looks like courcheval is out due to an over abundance of surly Europeans wearing over priced designer ski wear. I think I agree with CharlieL that higher is better - at least for March anyway. Every time I've ever been, temps have hit the teens and the runs back to resort arent fun when they are slushy and full of beginners.

Couple of links below first is an appt second a chalet. The appt does have option to have evening meal or half board which might be convenient.

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/search/ac.15

http://www.valthorenschalets.co.uk/val-thorens/renod
latest report
Giffordpikes, THe crystal ski website search is crap (searches are unsharable) because they do the searches by a form submission (POST request) rather than encode all the data in the website URL (GET request). I wish they would provide an API so someone else could just make a better search for them.
snow conditions
ah OK www.crystalski.co.uk and search for Les Temples du Soleil Apartments VT. I put in flights from Birmingham and prices start from £410 s/c. So I would budget a bit extra for the "we'll add all the extra stuff at the end because we feel like it" supplement!
latest report
I know the location of that building - it sits right next to the main base area (basically hop over the balcony and you are away!) -- all of the bars, restaurants are a short walk. Could be ideal. I'd need to see if I can get something ex flight/transfer - as I have to fly into Geneva (my stuff is kept in the basement of a friend's place in Geneva). That usually means getting an EasyJet flight from Liverpool to Geneva. Some tour operators allow you to opt out of the flight. Not sure about Crystal - woud have to check -- so will probably need to make own travel arrangements and RV with anyone at resort. Usually works out okay.
snow report
Hi CharlieL we have had a bit of a change of plan. Have been doing lots of research on places etc. and I managed to find a great deal on a catered chalet in Villaroger les arcs. In fact it was too good to pass up so we have booked. I know its not quite the 3V you were talking about or the high altitude of my preference but it was £299 catered chalet and for that money I couldnt really say know. If you are interested you are more than welcome to come along as our friend Justin still needs to share his twin room. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you all the information. If not hope you still get to ValT
snow report
No probs. thanks for the update. work has been getting in the way. so i haven't made much progress. still pondering options and thanks for the offer. will give it some thought.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy