Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Cham 87

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am off to les arc soon and have spoken to a few of the hire shops to see what ski's they hold. From what i described i was looking for i expected to be offered the Atomic Blackeye TI or Volkl RTM, Salamon BBR/XT800 etc which i have used all these before. However both shops i spoke to were directing me towards the Dynastar Cham 87. Does anyone have any views on these?
http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/cham-87_DA2K104_product_dynastar-skis-men-freeride.html
I am 5'8 88Kg and fairly aggressive skier and not phased by any slope or conditions apart from the dreaded moguls. So would look to have mixture of on/off piste when there.

looking forward to trying these skis out unless anyone has alternative thoughts and any ideas on length to ski i usually use 170-175ish although have used 186 BBR's which i loved. And how effective are hey on the groomers given that they are 87 underfoot.
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't skiied these but would jump at the chance. I think these are the replacement for dynastar legend sultan which get looks of praise. Plenty of snow out there at the moment, 87mm probably a good choice
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't skiied these but would jump at the chance. I think these are the replacement for dynastar legend sultan which get looks of praise. Plenty of snow out there at the moment, 87mm probably a good choice
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So has any one seen anyone else using these ski's?
odd that both rental shops i spoke to pushed these but no one has commented on having used them...could it be that Dynastar have asked the rental shops to push these ski's or given them an incentive to get them out with the punters?...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ new this season i think. I skiied with someone who was one them and they seemed happy with them.

I use edge and wax as a good reference point copied from their site http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/248278/products/Dynastar_Cham_87_2013_Skis_and_Look_NX12_Bindings.aspx?gclid=CLTS4sDS07QCFe7MtAodohwATg

"Although this ski has significant rocker at the tip it remains relatively flat on the tail. This, in combination with the pin-tail shape allows for improved balance and helps maintains direction when playing in deeper snow and allows for a smooth ride with easy turn initiation. Although the ski is slightly softer than the wider models it still provides extremely smooth transitions between turns on hardpack as well as in powder and the softer core, combined with traditional camber at the waist, offers (like all Dynastar skis before them) great stability, edge grip and power."

"This ski is slightly softer than the other wider models and so is a great introduction to all mountain skiing. It retains a quick turning radius for its width and is ideal for skiers who enjoy narrower skis and don’t want a pair of big cumbersome planks underfoot but will try some powder and tree skiing if conditions allow."

"Very responsive, the variable radii is controllable and more noticeable at lower speeds than the stiffer, wider version. Another firm favourite of mine."

Is This For Me?

These are designed as a great introduction into the Freeride scene and provide any good intermediate/advanced skiers a progressive, dynamic ski that allows short carves and is quick on piste, but has enough width to take into powder if the conditions allow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thought i should finish this thread off... just returned and expected to use the cham 87 however when i went in to collect them i had a chat with the manager and he suggested either the cham 87 or movement jam. i opted for the jam based on the fact that it would be better n ice than the cham 87. I made a great choice and would buy these ski's if i was in the market to buy - i prefer to rent though so i can have choice and change after a few days. As it happens i really didnt find any ice to test the jams on although there were a few hard patch's which they cut through without any issues.
1 of our group had the Rossi 88 and he also had fun on these as well - although i would say they were noticeably heavier than the jam's.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pauljames, yesterday I skied with a chap on this season's Dynastar Cham 87s (these and the other sizes are all over Cham like a rash this season). He said the tip rocker is too soft and flaps at speed unlike the 107s, which are stiffer and which he prefers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G, 97's seemed to have a fairly stiff flex (only fondled them in a shop) too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero-G, Totally agree, before i went away i checked out the vids of the Chams 87 and i did notice 1 that there was a guy skiing and there was a lot of front end chatter which was a surprise given that it was a sort of promotional video for dynastar and the rocker did seem to be a bit soft. I will go look for it and post the link.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have had a few runs on the Cham 87 last (southern) season and found them to be surprisingly good on piste considering my weight and skiing level. The tip chatter is irrelevant as there is lost of edge hold through the body of the ski. Unfortunately there was now soft snow to test them in.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarge McSarge, interesting. Sarge McSarge. I'm not averse to giving them a go and may do so this season. I'm not too worried about what the rocker does at speed because I don't to high speed, only medium speed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G,
Quote:

what the rocker does at speed because I don't to high speed, only medium speed.

all relative to you....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy