Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a knee brace

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
My wife tore her medial and lateral knee ligaments last year whilst skiing and she is going again for the first time since the injury. We are looking for a suitable knee brace but are quite baffled by the choice, varying from £30 to £500 (which we would rather not pay!).
She is fully recovered but wouldn’t want to damage it again.
Some potential’s include:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/McDavid_Ligament_Knee_Support/3108/38575.html

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Mueller_Hg80_Hinged_Knee_Brace_with_Kevlar/3108/37820.html

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Donjoy_Drytex_Playmaker_Knee_Brace/3108/38146.html

Are there any suitably qualified suggestions as to which one to buy for her, any alternatives and what the difference between them is.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is she still seeing a phsyio? If yes, I would see what they recommend, i went skiing 2months after my knee op for tearing my medial meniscus cartilage but I was still getting pain doing the Physio exercises, my Physio recommended a support to help with the cause of the pain. It helped me to ski - not as much as I would normally but that was as much to do with the loss of fitness due to the injury.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
waveslider,

It a difficult to tear the MCL and Lateral ligament without rupturing the ACL.
It is very common to see MCL and a minor LCL with ACL rupture from a hyper extension ( overstraightend knee) injury.
Are you sure about diagnosis?

The brace question can be answered three ways

If you do our rehab and the knee stable probably waste of money.

If you haven't rehabbed or need a bit of help with lack of confidence go for cheap knee sleeve ( bioskin) it helps with proprioception ( feedback) and can reduce swelling.

If genuinely unstable and surgery not an option then you will need to go for top end brace but get it fitted properly by an Orthotist who knows what they are doing. If your knee is this unstable then do consider surgery it may well give a better knee than a brace alone.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, yes, she's sure about the diagnosis, my wife is no longer seeing a physio and is fully rehabbed but worried about doing it again so i guess it is to add confidence to her skiing.(Hopefully a cheap one will be suffice!)

I think it is probably worth speaking to the physio as he is familiar with her injury.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've recently had a minor mcl issue and wanted a bit of support for it
I got myself a Mueller Hg80 , wore it for work the week before skiing and during the holiday, had no issues at all while skiing and you barely even notice it after first hour or so.
As with all braces and supports, I can't tell what i would have been like without it but with the side supports it may help take some of the strain in any minor incidents.

Take Jonathan Bell's advice, he knows his Knees
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Neville wrote:
Take Jonathan Bell's advice, he knows his Knees

And he's getting to know most of ours rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try www.firstaid4sport.co.uk - staffed by medical people to advise you over the phone.

I have a McDavid one with velcro straps above and below the knee. Was about £40. Works well to reduce the danger of a twist, supports my damaged and arthritic knee and gives me confidence.

snowHead waveslider,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy