Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Healing persistent wound

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got a small rub on the font "hinge" of my ankle skiing at NY which developed into an open wound. Round of antibiotics and antibiotic ointment have got rid of infection but it's proving slow to heal. Dressing it with melalin every day but it's covered by sock and seems to remain less than totally hard scabbed. Trying to get as much air to it as possible but can't really wear sandals during working day. Any ideas to accelerate healing as it'll be a mess when I end up compeeding it for next ski trip otherwise?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, you need a better dressing for it I think. Something like Mepilex as it is more flexible, has more padding and won't rub. If you are diabetic or suffer from circulation problems go and see practice nurse.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always thought that you had to keep a wound covered (not airing it out) until fully healed. Something about moisture being needed for new cells to generate.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-02-13 10:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, no you're actually correct. The old method of getting air to it has long gone.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just edited my post but you beat me to it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:
Zero-G, no you're actually correct. The old method of getting air to it has long gone.

Necrotic tissue is the exception, but I don't suppose this applies here.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could try adding Manuka honey (10+ or more) to the dressing. It is reported to aid healing where wounds have proved slow to recover.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CaravanSkier, the only trials on Manuka honey that have shown benefit have been flawed. All trials of better quality showed no improvement or slowed healing rates... but it is nice on toast.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
another vote for raw honey ... I think that most imported Manuka is pasteurized.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Husband pointed me to this thread to offer my input - I had a very persistent shin injury caused by a train and my hen do, which several frantic trips to a pharmacy brought these http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Faster-Healing-Hydrocolloid-Dressings-Pack-of-5-Assorted-_1209211/ to light. Bloody marvellous and I was able to wear my knee length wedding dress 2 weeks later. Usually I am not one to advocate anything out the ordinary and just get on with things but desperate times called for pricey measures!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
CaravanSkier, the only trials on Manuka honey that have shown benefit have been flawed. All trials of better quality showed no improvement or slowed healing rates... but it is nice on toast.

Interesting, I have read various conflicting reports but on balance would be inclined to try it myself if I had a problematical wound. On the basis it has not been reported to have any bad side effects I`d see if the raw stuff helped.

And agreed, it is nice on toast!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
should add if needs be you can put any antibiotic ointment under those plasters too - my a&e doc sister-in-law sent me some as by the wound was also infected. Moral to that - when they say mind the gap between trains and platforms they do mean it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
always29, even moreso when 'stability impared'...

CaravanSkier, Well if you insist on trying a honey poultice, may I suggest doing so out of wasp season...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definately Richard, I have had quite enough wasp stings thank you. I am on antihistimes for a couple of weeks afterwards, so no sitting in the garden in an evening enjoying a chilled glass of wine!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy