Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things to do in Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SH's

Just booked to go back to Tignes in April, but our flights times do not match up well with our transfer pick up times. As a result , we land in Geneva at 10am and don't get picked up until 7pm. The same thing happened a couple of yers ago and we spent hours wandering around Geneva. This time I would like to get the most out of the time and not just sit around waiting and being bored.

So has anyone got any suggestions on how to kill 9 hours in Geneva for 3 x 30-40 year old blokes?

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
assuming:

1 you dont want to go round some mediocre museums or look at a jet of water or sit drinking

2 I would either change your transfer or go skiing for a day in one of the very local resorts. Lelex-Crozets is one. Very small but doable for a day. You could hire a car for the day or get a taxi. Treat it as a warm up few hours skiing.

think there have ben posts about it before. could search on forum index advanced search. good luck
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Geneva is a pretty dull place. See if you can get a boat trip maybe. Yvoire is super nice if you can get that far round the lake, and you like cute Medieval towns.

Yeah, or skiing in the Jura.

Or there's always 'Venusia'.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisJersey wrote:
assuming: look at a jet of water or sit drinking

Yep that is what we did last time and was looking for something different this time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chrisJersey, changing transefr is not an option as it provided with the hotel and is timed when then drop off home bound people.

Skiing in a local resort sounds fun. i will investigate that one.

I did a search but could not find anything.
Mr Piehole,
What/where is Jura and Venusia?

I would be quite happy taking a boat trip or even taking in a movie. I just don't want to wander around aimlessly all day.

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crozet is good for a mess around, the site below covers Crozet/Lelex, Col de la Faucile and Mijoux.

http://www.monts-jura.com/en/welcome/index.php

Non are big by alps standards but good for getting some ski time in.
Crozet is about 25-30mins Col de la Faucile a bit further as you have to drive up the windy road more so 40-45mins.
It's a shame they don't do half day tickets anymore but at €23 a day it's not that much of a sting.

There is a nice snowshoe trail at Col de la Faucile, for an afternoon we sometimes skin up it as there's a nice restaurant at the top with great views over the lake, then just ski the red run back to the car.

Only issue is in April there might be no snow left, you should check the webcams on the site above to see what the conditions are like.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can do a guided tour of CERN. Not for everyone but the geek in me thinks that would be a great way to kill time and see one of mankind's great engineering and physics marvels.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, CERN is good – I like it. You can also do a tour of the UN which is cool – you may even get to watch a live sitting/debate.

What date is it? I can check if there is anything festival or party like on and give directions – though most don’t kick off til May. A few early arrivals for the PSB were quite amused when I took them to drink vin chaud and watch a few thousand people pelt up and down steep cobbled streets on ‘fun-runs’ in freezing December along to people ringing cow-bells (no, really!) and a rather odd marching band.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do not google Venusia at work!!!! Or in front of your wife/girlfriend for that matter

Yvoire is nice, but pretty dead in winter months, with most shops & restaurants shut. Annecy would be a better bet for picturesqueness, as well as plenty of places to eat/drink/shop.

There is a decent cinema by the main Geneva station (the Pathe Rialto) that has lots of films in English (look for 'VO' for version originale next to the film time), as well as a smaller one on the main shopping street (Pathe Rex) which does the same.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A month earlier and you could have visited the best motor show in the world, here's a link to the Palexpo events (next to the station/airport). You could visit the Patek museum too.

http://www.palexpo.ch/Manifestations/index.php
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Earlier transfer to Tignes and go skiing for the afternoon? As it stands you wont get to the hotel until 10.00pm which seems a waste of a day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smagsmith, I had a similar problem in the summer and there are a few ideas here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2054033.
I'm not sure if any of them would suit you and your party, but worth a look and there are useful tips on where to store luggage and free transport around town.
fixx, gave fabulous directions, so do trust any advice from that source!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hire a car and ski Les Gets / Morzine - could do it in that time...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to Les Brasseurs opposite Cornavin station (free tram ticket from airport to Cornavin, available from machine in baggage collection hall of airport) for something to eat and drink. http://www.les-brasseurs.ch/e/geneve/index.htm I had the most delicious beer I have ever tasted (made in their own brewery) and my Dad was a beverages chemist in the brewery industry so I`ve tried a few in my time! Food was good too.

I did not have the opportunity to order their beer tasting selection but it was well presented in individual glasses set into a small wooden tray. I was there with my 88 year old Aunt because we popped in for an early evening meal from the hotel next door, she found the place intriguing to say the least Smile I also subsequently discovered my son had visited there whilst on a 6th form exchange visit, understandably he and his mates had a wonderful time rolling eyes Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fixx, we are going 14th to 19t of April
latest report
Geneva it's pretty nice city, nice to walk, and I remember very nice hammam on the bank. I've been there last year http://www.bains-des-paquis.ch/
snow conditions
Are you allowed to say 'paquis' these days?
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:
Are you allowed to say 'paquis' these days?

There's a really nice bar in Paquis called Paki Twisted Evil

http://uk.eurostar.com/uk/travel-to-switzerland/travel-to-geneva/bars-and-clubs/paki-bar-idp-9351837
ski holidays
also I remember the botanic garden is lovely, near to the united nations center.
snow report
I'll be happy to know what is the meaning of Pâquis, it was nice but I don't understand the meaning of the name.
latest report
I *think* it translates to an old french word for fields/pastures – it’s now the name for a particular area in Geneva, which used to be outside the old city walls, and was grazing ground in the past.

The, um, amusement stems from the pronunciation being very similar to a rather derogatory word in English.
snow report
latest report
fixx wrote:
Cinema right beside the train station as mentioned before – just go out the front of the station and turn left, tickets are 19CHF I think. http://www.pathe.ch/cinema/geneve/programm.php?hr=RIA

You turn right out of the station for the cinema (assuming you come out of the main entrance), and yes tickets are 19 chf

If you turn left you end up in Paquis, which provides a whole other form of adult entertainment, and costs a lot more than 19 chf I'd wager Very Happy
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
fixx wrote:
Cinema right beside the train station as mentioned before – just go out the front of the station and turn left, tickets are 19CHF I think. http://www.pathe.ch/cinema/geneve/programm.php?hr=RIA

You turn right out of the station for the cinema (assuming you come out of the main entrance), and yes tickets are 19 chf

If you turn left you end up in Paquis, which provides a whole other form of adult entertainment, and costs a lot more than 19 chf I'd wager Very Happy

Lol - right (correct) to both! Sorry, it's a Friday - too long at work has obviously addled my brains. Hopefully fixed before I start trying to read piste maps tomorrow Shocked
snow report
Laughing

fixx, where are you off to tomorrow......can't decide myself, its nice to have so much choice close to hand
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
Laughing

fixx, where are you off to tomorrow......can't decide myself, its nice to have so much choice close to hand

Tomorrow - Megeve and area, free ladies skiing Smile
Sunday - Flaine/Grand Massif.

Come join if you like! Always good to meet another snowhead.
snow report
fixx, thanks very much for the offer, unfortunately I don't qualify for the Megeve deal on, err, 'technical' grounds.

I'm now off to one of the nearby Swiss resorts tomorrow, but it would be great to meet up another time. Have a great weekend!
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
(Just saw the Harlem Globetrotters are at the Arena on the 17th April! Probably no use for you, but it’s going in my diary Smile)

Pro tip - don't bet on the Washington Generals wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, I don't know, they're long overdue a win
ski holidays
I like the idea of a bike ride if the weather is good. Any more info on the free bikes?7

Cheers
Smag
snow report
I think it starts beginning of May unfortunately Sad
snow report
Sorry, just got back to this - Whitters is right, free bike rental from end of April only. You can rent all year round though, right beside the train station, details here:
http://www.geneveroule.ch/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=58
12CHF for a basic city bike.
snow report
Pretty sure the jura skiing will be finished by then. They normally close end of March. Harlem Globetrotters in Geneva sounds good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy