Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any helmets that don't make you look like a bell*nd?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to get a new helmet at around £100 mark and have been reading this thread with interest. So I decided to go an try a load on today at my local Snow & Rock. Now I'm not exactly Brad Pitt, but sh*t man, every helmet I tried on made me look like a right tool. Open face helmets are just WRONG, period. I've been a biker for 20 years, always worn full-face Arai lids, which are cooler than a cool draw, and how I wish I could wear one of those but I'd laughed off the slopes......so the question stands, are there any helmets that don't make you look like a bell*nd or are they all as bad as each other?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.ruroc.com/9-rg-1-helmets

But it could be you Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did you bring goggles with you? Helmets look odd if you don't have them with.

That aside - you won't look any different to any other helmet wearers. Nobody will think you look like a bell end, and if they do, they're the ones who need the attitude transplant.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand wrote:
But it could be you Laughing

I can't hide, it's my ugly ass, I know it!!

Scomber wrote:
Did you bring goggles with you? Helmets look odd if you don't have them with.

Tbh, I didn't. Maybe that was it. Never bought a lid for skiing before, now have kids and need to encase the noggin in polycarb or carbon fibre (mmmm).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SiPieFace, Did you try em with goggles?

I'm sure you look fine in them in reality, but your user name suggests low self esteem in the facial department!? Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gatecrasher wrote:
SiPieFaceyour user name suggests low self esteem in the facial department!?

Nickname, got it at school (when I was a real looker, I was told Shocked Laughing), because apparently nothing else rhymed with 'Si'. They weren't that sharp at my school.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SiPieFace, It's not so noticeable if you don't wear a pink one . . .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SiPieFace, As mentioned above you will need to try them with googles, 2 reasons...1. some googles will not fit the helmet very well at the side edges and will lift and 2. some will leave a gap at the top (between helmet and goggles) and so you get a headache from a cold strip, and a silly looking sunburnt line later on.......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most helmets won't make you look like a bellend, with goggles that fit well. Till you sit a camera on the top. Then the bellend look is absolutely unavoidable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Most helmets won't make you look like a bellend, with goggles that fit well. Till you sit a camera on the top. Then the bellend look is absolutely unavoidable.

Camera's were everywhere in GM over christmas....one guy in gondola evn had 2 of the the things for 3d..................the borg have arrived... Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This season there has been a big increase in the number of helmet-wearers I see on the slopes. The huge majority of these are open-face helmets and I don't think they get a second glance from anyone else. Full-face helmets are still rare, and would definitely trend towards the bellend look.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pam w, ahhh but the people who do, couldn't give a poo-poo
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you really want to look a bell end, wear a full face if you do not absolutely rip
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

now have kids and need to encase the noggin in polycarb

Not following the logic there. Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, it was not encasing the noggin in the first place rolling eyes

Now a polycarb concom . . . that's protection Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The only helmets I think look straight-up ridiculous, to the point of annoyance, are those Briko race helmets a lot of the juniors in racing programs wear. Also, some of the spherical ones (such as Giro), also can make some people look ridiculous.
snow report
Just don't get one with a built in visor. Massive, shiny bellend points.
ski holidays
Quote:

Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info, very useful. Going to go back with my goggles and give it another go.

Been digging around and I found this bad boy. Just wish I had the "I don't give a f*ck what you all think" attitude to wear one of these bad boys on the slopes but I don't and know I'd feel like captain bellend.......What's the bellend rating for this one?
latest report
carroz wrote:
pam w wrote:

Camera's were everywhere in GM over christmas....one guy in gondola evn had 2 of the the things for 3d..................the borg have arrived... Evil or Very Mad

GSA sighting in Chamonix? The Good News spreads fast ....
snow report
SiPieFace wrote:
What's the bellend rating for this one?

I tried to calculate it, but I got a divide by zero error.
snow report

Something for the bunny slopes
ski holidays
SiPieFace, avoid the purple one's as well

I'm working on something 'fullface' that hopefully should be availble in a year or two - hold on until then.
snow conditions
SiPieFace, We skied for the first time with helmets last week, hubby decided he definately wanted one, I wasnt so sure, but we bought them and wore them, my daughter said I looked like a worm Embarassed
Anyway after last weeks holiday it seems you look more odd if not wearing one, we counted whilst sat on a chairlift for 50 people skiing down, 6 wore hats! times have really changed and although I dont particularly like wearing it (nor looking like a worm) I will always wear it now.
latest report
For the Full Bell End look you really need a camera strapped to the top of the helmet and a walkie talkie attached to the outside of your top pocket. Skullie
snow report
SiPieFace,

From a fellow biker, who wears Arai and Shoei lids, i started wearing a ski lid three seasons ago. I wear a Head Pro lid, which the shape fits superbly with Bolle Nova goggles. I think it makes me look like a US marine, but my wife and mates say i still look like a total male chicken!!!!!

link below

http://www.head.com/ski/products/helmets/freestyle-men/?region=eu

However as a biker i think you would be more comfortable in a Dianese one wink http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/multisport-winter/v-jet-helmet.html

To complete the look, Velcro some knee sliders on to your ski salopettes, preferably ones that are a bit ground down wink
ski holidays
Santa's Nice and Nasty lists are starting early for some of you this year Twisted Evil
latest report
No way a helmet will ever look right if you try it on, in the middle of a shop, in your jeans and t shirt. I felt like a bell-end when I was trying them on but it was only for size.

It all comes together when you have the rest of your gear and goggles on.

Just buy a Bern helmet and everything will be ok.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
if you really want to look a bell end, wear a full face if you do not absolutely rip

Saw a tiny kid in a full face last week. He was fairly ripping.

In other news I idly tried to do a helmet survey on a long chair ride - I reckoned on >90% of slopeusers wearing helmets.
ski holidays
As others have said you need to try on with goggles to check the fit. You look a bit of an idiot in the shop, but will look cool enough on the slopes if you buy the right one!
snow conditions
Not many people know this but one of the reasons skiing is so popular is that normally reticent, conservative, mild-mannered men (and it's always men) get to wear the most outrageous and ridiculous gear which, in any other context would make them look like complete and utter pull throughs.

I think it helps to keep in check all those transvestite leanings that we don't want to admit to.

So don't worry bout the helmet - it's the least of your worries. Just go ahead buy whatever looks the most bellendish and you'll fit right in.
snow conditions
Big Paua, Laughing
latest report
I'm an idiot. Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 8-01-13 11:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
You look a bit of an idiot in the shop, but will look cool enough on the slopes if you buy the right one!

Right up to.............the point you start moving! Toofy Grin
latest report
Gnarbeque wrote:

I wear a helmet with a visor, it works for me, covers my glasses (can't use contact lenses). I havn't be able to find a pair of goggles that work.

If you don't like it, tough, not my problem. Razz NehNeh

snowHead
latest report
Thanks for the advice people, very much appreciated, think the bellend look is something I just have to live with.

So I headed back to Snow & Rock to have a really good look all the various lids on offer. But one thing that really struck me is how utterly sh*t the quality of the modern Ski helmets is. I mean it's like the laughable quality of 80's motorcycle helmets. They appear to be made from little more than paper mache. Even more amazing is that most of them were only classified as 'Class B' and which is such a low rating us bikers would laugh and reminisce if we even saw a Class B lid these days. I thought they'd scrapped that standard.

Also noticeable was that there's almost nothing to them in terms of weight/mass. Having ridden since my teens I fully understand the 'lack of weight is a good thing for fatigue' argument but is this a good thing at the expense of safety? Physics (pretty much) dictates that there needs to be something of substance to effectively deal with an impact. Most of these lids (I'm talking Smith Optics, Giro, Salomon and the like) would surely just disintegrate on impact. I don't mean would be unusable afterwards (because any lid should be thrown after an impact) but just split/crack/deform and be next to useless at helping prevent serious head injury during the crash.

I can't believe these manufacturers have the audacity to still offer p*ss-pot lids (TM) and ask us to stump up £150+ for them. OK if they're cheap, but at that money this is nothing short of scandalous, and for a Class B!!!!.

I totally get the safety thing and I've always spent what I could afford on gear. Some of this having saved my ass a few times on tracks day offs (dohhh, read new £500 Arai RX7/£800 Dainese leathers in the skip Shocked). In biking you do generally get what you pay for and the more it costs the better it is. This doesn't yet seem to apply to Ski helmets. Sure the EU standards-mongers will get in there soon though, and for once I hope they do.

Anyway, rant over, back to looking like a bellend. I did find the lid below, which is Class A (yeehaa) and is, unsurprisingly given it's rating, made from some quality materials with a nice finish and with some substance. Only issue I have is it's a race-type helmet........acceptable or bellender-doing-the-snow-plough?

latest report
SiPieFace, that's going to make you look like a bellend! Very Happy
ski holidays
SiPieFace,
Not really quite the same as riding a bike though is it - I don't think I'd be all that happy with my full face racing helmet skiing (not least it would be quite warm!).
POC have an interesting discusion on their website on the materials that went into their top end skull comp carbon creation, and why the sort of construction you find in a motor racing helmet does not work.

There are already standards for ski helmets - at least here there is, which is odd when you see the excuses for motorbike helmets people wear here! Madeye-Smiley

BTW do you think the A/B classification is due to the full sided helmet vs soft eared ones rather than the construction? In which case if that is what you really want you'll be needing a race style helmet; personally I'd find that too restrictive for the gain in protection.
snow report
I quite like Giro Seam !?
latest report
stuarth wrote:
Not really quite the same as riding a bike though is it - I don't think I'd be all that happy with my full face racing helmet skiing

I agree, up to a point. Hitting a tree at 30mph is the same force of impact whether you're flying off a bike or skiing down a hill. This is often the argument put forward by anti-helmet cyclists but it's irrefutable that flying through the air at 30mph into a tree is the same whatever mode of transport you've just departed.......My full face lid would be great and warm but yeah, would look even more of a tool.

stuarth wrote:
POC have an interesting discussion on their website on the materials that went into their top end skull comp carbon creation, and why the sort of construction you find in a motor racing helmet does not work.

A link would be great.

stuarth wrote:
BTW do you think the A/B classification is due to the full sided helmet vs soft eared ones rather than the construction? In which case if that is what you really want you'll be needing a race style helmet; personally I'd find that too restrictive for the gain in protection.

I thought about this but checked the regs and it states "This has resulted in two classes of helmets, class A and class B. Compared to class B, class A protects a larger area of the head and offers a higher degree of protection from penetration."

So it's both, which makes some sense.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy