Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rusting on ski edges

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is this purely cosmetic or does it affect performance? I had a pair of skis waxed and edged a year ago before storing them. Noticed edges are rusty now. They still seem sharp. Will I have to have them edged again? Or will they be fine to ski.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The rust will ski off quickly so don't be concerned.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be ok. First few runs down will take most if not all of this off. I do my own skis, therefore would remove it, but I wax just prior to going, having just put a little protective wax on the edges prior to storing the year before. You can always have them edges relatively cheaply after day 1, or even at lunch if you have problems.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon,

If you are having your skis serviced immediately prior to storage should you ask them to leave some wax on the edges to prevent this happening?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At least for race skis, wax is not left of edges. Thing is, edges are never perfect clean, so there's always some moisture, grease and other things left there. Once you cover them with wax, you create bubble over this and things can't dry, so you basically create perfect conditions for rust. So in race world, wax is scrapped off the edges when skis are prepared for travel/store.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When you pack your skis away for storage throw one of these in with them. Sold by gunsmiths.

http://www.vp90.com/VP90.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
The rust will ski off quickly so don't be concerned.

This^ I use to worry about edges getting rusty but experience has shown that the first few runs certainly shift any rust!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just run the zip wax puck over the edges before you put away, its a water repellent

But no the very light rust patina wont hurt
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't put them away, ski them!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Counts as a telltale, similar to hard wax on a ski to see which part of the edges one uses, if at coffee time rust still on edges forward of the binding perhaps press on toes at start of turn a bit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, Yup - that stuff is fantastic at inhibiting corrosion.

And for engines, ACF50 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's the wife's and kids' skis that have rusted edges.
I've had two trips since they last went Toofy Grin
snow report
 cran
cran
Maybe get some skis with titanium edges...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Make sure they are bone dry if possible before you put them in your skibag prior to travelling home.

Take them out or at least open the bag fully to breath as soon as you get home.

Run a gummy stone over them and a touch of Zardoz Notwax.

Job done wink

Go to see spyderjon, and learn how to service them yourself.

It will be the best few quid you will ever spend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy