Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For a two wheel drive vehicle, should i buy one set of snow chains, or two?

Poster: A snowHead
Each set is two snow chains (so the question is do we need two snow chains or four)
We're driving to tignes in easter, so not expecting the weather conditions to be that bad.
thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you need just two chains (ie one set) to be put on the driving wheels.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, In California I needed enough for 18 . . . have you ANY idea just how much those boogers weighed Evil or Very Mad first time took me 3 hours to fit them all. double Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobbieShamrock, Do have a practise in the warmth of your garage - because in the dark when its snowing the instructions will seem like hieroglyphics (sp?). Also a thick plastic bag to kneel on and put wet chains into (they never go back in the box) - this years' is from Lakeland - very sturdy. Also a head torch is very handy - I also have some of the stronger marigolds - enough feel and keeps sleeves and hands dry - ski gloves generally too bulky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

ski gloves generally too bulky.

I find Marigolds too fiddly too. I do it in bare hands, fast. Some hand wipes are a good idea.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, baby wipes are really good at getting grease and oil off . . . what they think baby poo contains bears no thinking . . .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
pam w, In California I needed enough for 18 . . . have you ANY idea just how much those boogers weighed Evil or Very Mad first time took me 3 hours to fit them all. double Evil or Very Mad

Any trucker doing the I80 run has my sympathy. Total closterfock every time it snows heavily which is often.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, I5 Mt Shasta run up to Vancouver . . . Got a lot worse in Oregon Shocked Shocked Shocked 80's a peach in comparison.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I find Marigolds too fiddly too. I do it in bare hands, fast. Some hand wipes are a good idea.

Blue Nitrile gloves for me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, are they surgeon style gloves? I tried some really thin ones but they do nothing to keep you warm and I still tended to get them clipped into the linky things. I find bare hands faster, not that I've done it this year, other than my annual trial run in Hampshire before driving out. I rarely have to use them in anger.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, palm and finger Nitrile dipped knitted fleece . . . warm windproof and sensitive.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best advice is buy GOOD chains. Don't buy cheap ones. They are useless and given any challenge will snap...been there, done that, more than once, and it aint pretty. Buy Thule or equivalent and yes they are expensive but worth every penny. And yes, you only need them on the driving wheels.
I'd echo the advice to have a trial. The better chains are also significantly easier to put on and will self tighten. You need to have a headtorch and either wear waterproof trousers or take a bin bag. Any thin pair of gloves will do but if you are quick you can do them without. I'm a woman and can put a chain on in less than 2 minutes so it can't be that hard Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
suzysparkle, Just one of the 7 bags of chains I carried probably weighed more than you . . . 2 bloody minutes, I could have done with you there Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is that the sort of chains you see on ice road truckers?? They look amazing but time consuming. Ours are on a Mercedes Sprinter van and the chains are on in a minute. You just shove them round the back, pull them up, clip them together at the top and pull on the bungee. So easy Very Happy I am a big fan!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
suzysparkle, yup, Didn't do the ice road, it was bad enough where I was already.
snow report
suzysparkle has it right. Good chains are worth the money. I can do it in 2 minutes too. Fortunately I don't drive a truck (though people do say rude things about my Fiat Multipla).
latest report
BobbieShamrock, You don't say whether your car is FWD or RWD.

Most of the comments I've seen here relate to people without chains/snow tyres getting stuck going uphill when they lose grip. That is a risk, but I think coming downhill without chains there is a greater risk - of sliding off the road into a ditch (or worse).

While chasing chamois in Carinthia in December, we went up a forestry track with about 3" of snow on it. By the time we came back down it was well over 6" deep. The local hunter got one set of chains out and put them on the rear wheels only - his comment was that he wanted to be sure he had control over the back end - he could look after the front. Looking at the sheer drops off the side of the track I could see his point ! He said he would only bother with chains on the front if it were icy too.
ski holidays
Quote:

While chasing chamois in Carinthia in December
touch of class there, deerman. Makes a change from the usual "driving up from Bourg St Maurice to Tignes" Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+1 for this method
latest report
If you don't like putting chains on buy snow tyres and keep your fingers crossed Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w, He was only after a cloth to polish his windscreen Laughing

I am jealous though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
When four wheel drive is engaged, should the snow chains be fitted to the front or rear wheels?
ski holidays
Richard E, most 4wd systems bar the real heavy duty proper off-roaders will still have drive at 60:40 front:rear when engaged, maybe boosting/adjusting between the two as traction is lost. Given that, go with the front.

To the OP, 1 set will do but 2 WILL be better, rear wheels may not be driving but once moving can still slip, a common problem would be to get into a spin if the rear wheels break free. Chains all round will stop that.

Someone mentioned tyres versus chains - I agree, proper tyres and proper driving will get you through all but the worst
ski holidays
barry, cheers Smile
snow report
Richard E, As I mentioned earlier, probably better on rear !
ski holidays
deerman, I just have one set of chains so now have conflicting advice. Puzzled
snow report
read your cars manual, most will tell you which wheels to put the chains on!
ski holidays
For anyone looking for chains: Lidl will have them in from Thursday at £20..ideal to have just in case
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard E wrote:
When four wheel drive is engaged, should the snow chains be fitted to the front or rear wheels?

When you say 'engaged' is it a switchable system from 2 to 4wd using a haldex clutch? If so, the chains go on whichever the driving wheels are when in 2wd mode, usually the front.
latest report
barry wrote:
Richard E,

Someone mentioned tyres versus chains - I agree, proper tyres and proper driving will get you through all but the worst

Just came back from Levi, and hardly anybody in Finland uses chains these days, nearly all good snow tyres, and they have no drama, 2, 4 or perm AWD.

Good snow tyres, and proper driving technique

Go figure
snow conditions
Ratae Corietuvorum, welcome to Snowheads snowHead Possibly finland is just a tad flatter than the Alps?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Ratae Corietuvorum, welcome to Snowheads snowHead Possibly finland is just a tad flatter than the Alps?

My Finnish colleague 3 desks away is giggling a lot:)

Very flat yes, just like Norway and Sweden wink
snow report
saw an excellent article written by an ex member of a Dutch Mountain Rescue team regarding mountain & winter driving. Cant find the link, if anyone finds it please repost
ski holidays
barry wrote:
saw an excellent article written by an ex member of a Dutch Mountain Rescue team regarding mountain & winter driving. Cant find the link, if anyone finds it please repost

Beannacht Dia a Barry.....Dutch mountain rescue? Is that like Norwich Mountaineering Club?Smile
latest report
Ratae Corietuvorum, Dia leat a chara! Níl fhios ag na amadánaí anseo leis an Dutch MRT! Toofy Grin

Were you skiing in Finland? what gives? I do fancy a Scandi trip sometime - maybe a Spring road trip
snow report
barry wrote:
Ratae Corietuvorum, Dia leat a chara! Níl fhios ag na amadánaí anseo leis an Dutch MRT! Toofy Grin

Were you skiing in Finland? what gives? I do fancy a Scandi trip sometime - maybe a Spring road trip

Yes indeed, skiing, snowmobiles, huskies and some big fat dude in red;)

My teacher says he can ski all year round except in the worst of years with a 5 hour drive over to a range in Norway....if it weren't for the levels of light, Scandi life would be very wholesome and attractive.

Levi is quite busy by Finnish standard which mean you have at least one person ahead of you in the lift queue, and a good 2 min wait for hire:)

Apparently there's a run about 20mins from Levi with one run, two lifts and only ever ski'd by two people and a Dachshund called Colin
ski holidays
Two sets definitely theoretically better than one for reasons indicated - as a general rule you are better having more grip at the back rather than at the front, but your driving wheels will (probably) be the front ones.

Anyway (almost) nobody ever does have two sets...

TBH, for the price of two sets of Thule chains you might as well buy yourself a set of winter tyres and then you won't need them at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy