Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Total beginner wants to start snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I'm in need of some advice, I've been wanting to snowboard for ages and have decided that this year will be the year.
But i have some questions
1. Is it worth doing beginner snowboard lessons on holiday rather than a indoor place (im in east London)?
2. If I go the holiday route, what are my options for April/may, is it too late for places in Europe?
3. What's a good/cheap'ish place to go to with tuition, and accommodation? (I'd probably go by myself as none of my friends want to go).

ermm... that's it for the moment

Thanks!!!! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads. Get some indoor lessons to crack the basics then head for one of high resorts in the Alps in April, somewhere like Les Deux Alps or Val Thorens will be open and have a good chance of decent snow well into April, avoid the last week of the season in Val T unless you like places full of drunk Dutch people! You dont say how old you are but if under 40 have a look at UCPA for cheap deals with loads of like minded people to meet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What davkt, says. Don't learn the basics on holiday. You will hurt and get frustrated for the first few days. Get the basics in a snowdome then book lessons for holiday to improve!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm 25 size will look at the upca website.

Anyone else have an opinion?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mcewen06, Definately learn before you go. Think about a 'Snowboard in a day' course at one of the fridges. I was at Tamworth yesterday and some were just about linking turns by 2 pm and that was after they had stopped for lunch.

As a snowboarder myself, the other advice is protection: helmet, impact shorts and wrist guards at a minimum.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Anyone else have an opinion?

Strong endorsement of UCPA for someone in your situation - if you look at the Action Outdoors website they sell the UCPA holidays and in some cases can also provide coach travel - cheap and convenient.

If you take a "total beginner" holiday in a UCPA centre you could just start absolutely from scratch - if everyone in the class is in the same position it will be OK. But if you can afford a "learn to snowboard in a day" course (they're not cheap) it will give you a flying start.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for UCPA.

Did a "total beginner" week with them in Argentiere (probs not the best for beginners I know but it wasn't just beginners going), it was really good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cad99uk wrote:
mcewen06, Definately learn before you go. Think about a 'Snowboard in a day' course at one of the fridges. I was at Tamworth yesterday and some were just about linking turns by 2 pm and that was after they had stopped for lunch.

As a snowboarder myself, the other advice is protection: helmet, impact shorts and wrist guards at a minimum.

Its my 13 yo daughter who is the boarder rather than me but she learnt at Tamworth (2 half day sessions) and was linking her turns by the end of the first half day. Oh she heartly endorses the comments on safety gear, particularly the impact shorts!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Def worth getting one or 2 lessons prior to going and if you can afford it... one-to-one lessons are better (the only reason I say is cos my girlfriend had a group lesson and the group mix just did not work... some incapable of standing and others, like my gf, able to edge and almost turn)...

I have never worn bum shorts and wrist guards but I know some that have and swear by the shorts... Not so many on the guards front as depending on how you fall, and you will fall a lot, they could end up doing more damage than good...

Final thing is... Plenty of painkillers... It's gonna hurt buddy, but the end result will be soooooooo worth it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Welcome to snowheads!!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
and get a copy of 'Go Snowboard'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, will definitely look on the action - outdoors site.

One question, i think i am going to try and do the learn snowboard in a day at The Snow Centre (hemel hempstead), how long before should i do this before my actual holiday?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mcewen06, doesnt really matter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee wrote:
mcewen06, doesnt really matter.

True - but if you do it 3 months before you're body will have forgotten it all before you get out there - if you do it the weekend before your body will probably still be black and blue, so I'd say 2-4 weekends before is probably ideal.

I'd definitely second the kneepads, and wrist guards - impact shorts always struck me as quite expensive - I used to buy a £10 sleeping mat from a army surplus type store, cutout a bum shaped pad and stick that down the back of the pants. Not so good at protecting hip bones, but good enough on the back bottom
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy