Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2005-6 World Cup ski racing ... on this weekend ... live webcam from Solden

Poster: A snowHead
This thread's been re-headed, to mark the start of the 2005-6 World Cup circuit. The webcam below shows (daylight hours!) the scene on the GS course on the Rettenbach Glacier. Scroll on for news from Solden.
---------------------------------
Here's the Rettenbach Glacier, Solden. Mens and ladies GS races will be held on 22-23 October. This is the live snowcam up there:

The build-up to the racing is covered in this report by SkiRacing.com, covering the US and Austrian teams. The same site will, no doubt, carry updates and previews during the week.

The FIS site will carry results: http://www.fis-ski.com

As for TV, if anyone knows of planned coverage please post channels and times below.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-10-05 10:58; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Eurosport website seems a bit broken right now.

They will be shown live on Das Erste though. Starts at 9:30 CET on both days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isn't Channel 4 covering this event in it's ski programme (but not for another month or so)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Rettenbach Glacier is the site of the gondola disaster on 5 September in which 9 people died when concrete fell from a helicopter. This snowHeads thread covers that incident.

It seems that the gondola is back in action, according to Solden's Daily Wintersports Report. The lift concerned was No. 32 'Schwarze Schneid II' 'Gletscherexpress'. The cable was severed in that accident, and gondola cabins were destroyed, but I don't know when the lift was put back into service.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, just to correct you, I think the cable remained intact it was the gondola that became detached from the cable and I think the cable probably came off nearby pylons but didn't break
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reviewing our thread on that it's true that there's no report that the cable broke. You may well be right, DGO. I guess if the cable breaks, the entire set of gondolas falls to the ground with even worse consequences.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, actually that would be most unusuall, the gondolas in close proximity to the break would fall but beyond one pylon away you'd be much safer, beyond 2 pylons away you'd almost certainly survive
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And of course, further information and news on that website dedicated to furthering the cause of British ski racing... to which DG has mysteriously omitted a link! Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Miaow!

Thanks for that input, PG. A couple of questions:
What have you got on the British team's presence in Solden and British plans for the 2005-6 World Cup / 2006 Winter Olympics? Is Neil McQuoid and Racer Ready associated with mysnowsports.com/snowracers.net for 2005-6?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith... first question, I'll be added some bits and pieces shortly, and second question.... yes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, exclusive news of who will be competing for the British in Soelden now in the updated article...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, Oops ,,, server failure wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes SQL problems on and off today I'm afraid. Have had a few problems at times with snowHead as well, today. So I shall have to leave you in suspense! wink [edit worked ok just then for me...]
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's SQL? (serious question, london)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Structured Query Language, pronounced "sequel". (serious-sounding answer from someone who hasn't much of a clue, France).
snow report
Structured Query Language (SQL).
Low tech answer: a method of extracting/retrieving/getting data/information/stuff from (and into) a database.
snow conditions
Pedants answer: probably not actually problems with SQL as much as with the running of the programs there to interpret it Wink . Unless of course we're talking about the unpleasantly prevalent programmerscockupitis pandemic Very Happy .
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
...prevalent programmerscockupitis...

or the greaterlesser known complaint: ServicePack or Systems Guys uninstalling your SQLXML hotfix again (x2) Sad

Now enough about work, where's the show....
snow report
Will the racing be on any TV channel I may be able to get on a TV in the UK. Sky TV or ntl?????
snow conditions
ginger winger wrote:
Will the racing be on any TV channel I may be able to get on a TV in the UK. Sky TV or ntl?????

ARD (German BBC1) on the old SKY analogue system at 8.30 to 10.30 (BST) Saturday and Sunday snowHead
latest report
Full information on this weekend's racing from Solden on this direct link:

http://www.soelden.com/main/EN/WC/index,method=main.html
snow report
I wonder if it will be covered on USA tv ??
snow report
Maier had a fall recently and Bode's brother is in a bad way after a motorbike crash. Has it been confirmed that Maier and Bode will racing this weekend?
latest report
DB, yes, I think both of them are due to race.
snow conditions
This news from the US Olympic Team talks of Bode Miller's current prospects.
ski holidays
The World Cup racing season starts today Saturday 22 October, with the women's GS at Solden.

Here's a preview from Eurosport, reflecting on the recent ski lift disaster on the glacier involved.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Here's a preview from Eurosport, reflecting on the recent ski lift disaster on the glacier involved.

At the start of the coverage on German TV station, ARD this morning, they mentioned the ski lift accident. They showed a short clip of the wooden crosses that have been placed as a memorial at the site of the accident accompanied by the music "Heaven is a place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle Puzzled
ski holidays
link contains results of todays women's race

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s48/e10139/sport_lng0_spo48_evt10139_sto780686.shtml
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Live Eurosport coverage of the Men's Race has just started here.
latest report
Maier was not happy taking the first run down.
Bode has put on a lot of weight (muscle mass) but it seems to be helping his performance.

First run Results here ....
http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s48/e10139/live_lng0_spo48_evt10139_mtc111354.shtml
ski holidays
but no TV footage yet !!
latest report
Sometimes I wish I lived in Vienna. Here's a live webcam at Cafe Einstein, where they're no doubt beaming live footage from Solden right now:

DB - have a nice slice of Zacher torte on me, and a cup of coffee.
Looks like they need the business.

Anyway, back to the racing.
snow conditions
Maier is a bit happier now wink

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s48/e10139/live_lng0_spo48_evt10139_mtc111354.shtml
ski holidays
A great opener! Would have been better if I could have seen it on TV. No wonder skiing gets a small audience in the UK.
latest report
Yes, what a shame. Let's look for some more riveting webcams.

DB - I can't see you in that cafe yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy