Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Risoul as a resort for a mixed ability family in mid-Feb.?

Poster: A snowHead
The peasants have revolted (i.e. my daughter doesn't want to do Club Med's two sessions per day of lessons and wants to ski with mum and dad in the afternoon or morning).

Therefore, probably now looking at SC or cheap hotel (I know it's a bit of a change from Club Med) in mid-Feb (week before FR hols).

We are 2 adult lower inters, an 11 year old transitioning from plough to parallel and a 9 year old with a week of plough behind her.

My wife's nephew did a season in Risoul and he reckons that it would be a good resort for us. Lots of families. Lesser known FR resort with tree-lined runs and some decent blue and red runs.

The piste map looks good, with lots of blues and reds around a bowl.

I understand that there's not a lot of English spoken but I do speak a little French.

The reviews of some of the apartments offered by the TOs weren't so good, though, (Foret Blanche appts.) and the transfer is a little long (3 hours).

Anyone got any experience of the resort or the apartments? Is the resort OK for SC? There appear to be several supermarkets (well, 3 Spar shops).

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Risoul several years ago for our first ski holiday as a mixed group, husband had done plenty of skiing, kids young but some indoor slope time under their belts and fine on blues, me nervous experienced beginner!! We liked the resort and have often since said we'd like to go back now our skiing is better. There is plenty of scope for all, and from your description I would say it would suit your group quite well - some nice easy blue/reds but lots to go at for the more adventurous with the link over to Vars. We went with Crystal who were running the Morgan at the time, but don't think they do it now - the rooms were small and basic but we had great food. Can't comment on the standard of self-catering accommodation but if reviews are putting you off have a look at Vars too - I think that might be slightly bigger and you may find something better - same ski area.

The kids had good lessons with ESF, so did hubby but my instructor was a bit too adventurous for me (although didn't put me off) We liked the fact that most of the runs head back to the village, which is good if families want to take different routes, and particularly good if your youngsters have a tendency to shoot off on their own.

It's a fairly French resort but we only have holiday French and got by fine, in fact commented on the friendliness of the place. The only downsides - depending on what you want, are that it is quite a small village and things for non-skiers are really quite limited and it's not the place to go if you're after rabid nightlife. There are several bars and restaurants but from what I remember the supermarkets were very limited (small corner shop type Spar's, rather than supermarkets - although I think there were other small shops as well). If you are combining simple self-catering with a reasonable amount of eating out then you'll be fine, if you are planning on cooking yourself lavish meals you'd probably struggle.

Transfer from Turin was a good 3-3.5 hours, our kids travel well so this wasn't a huge issue, but may bother some.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Dr George. The piste layout looks good in that, as you say, most runs get you back to the village; this is attractive since one of the daughters will want to shoot off. Also, very different piste layout from the last resort we ski-ed which was L2A which has a somewhat odd piste layout. The lack of rabid nightlife is quite attractive due to old age, alcohol intolerance and not wanting to spend a lot on beer. Your comments on the catering side of things ring true with what the wife's nephew said - he used to borrow a car/van and head down the valley to do his shopping.

Dobby
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, you might like to look at Peak Retreats, which offer a good range of good accommodation in a number of less well known French resorts. They're a good company.

They do all-in prices including eurotunnel crossing, or just accommodation, so you could fly and hire a car or book a taxi transfer if that suits you better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, pam w, I'll have a look at that. To be honest, we are not too picky where we go. We are really just looking for some good family skiing, with half day lessons, somewhere where the pistes are not going to be heaving (don't like pistes that are too busy...). Some nice blues and reds would do if for me and mrs and older daughter. Some nice easier blues and greens for littlest one. I guess that there will be lots of places that fit the bill. Fancied AdH (not a small less well known resort) but stories of jester-hat wearing numpties doing mach 7 on the green-blues back to resort [where littler daughter may be skiing in afternoon] have put me off.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

half day lessons

ESF is generally half day lessons but in some French resorts most of the clients will be Francophone, and you could struggle to find group lessons in English. But some private lessons could be an economical alternative if the family would like to ski together.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dobby, I skied Risoul several times in the last century and had no problems whatsoever. I took groups of anything from 50 to 80 English school kids (8 through to 19 years old) who had lessons with the ESF and they came on well. No problems even back then in the dark ages with languages. Even the French put most Brits to shame with their command of different languages (whether they want to use them in a voluntary sense is a completely different ball game). If the groups are mixed then the instructors do use their English to ensure that the clients get lessons, it just does not seem so detailed as the explanations given in French (which can be a blessing).

As you have been told, even way back then, very French, very friendly and very quiet once the skiing had stopped but enought bars and restaurants available to keep my party leaders and travelling parents happy when they were off duty. We always travelled out from the UK by bus, so sorry no idea about transfer times, but then things have moved on a bit since then! wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers, Samerberg Sue. Sounds ideal for what we want.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Even the French put most Brits to shame with their command of different languages

Absolutely, and I think quite a few Brits go to Risoul so you should be fine. But I thought a warning about some of the small resorts in the Peak Retreats collection was warranted. I, and family and friends, have had group lessons from time to time in the Espace Diamant and been the only Anglophone in a sizeable group - so inevitably 95% of the chat is French and it can be a bit lonely on the chairlifts if you don't understand. I speak a reasonable amount of French and am keen to learn more so I enjoy having mostly French chat, and can more or less manage, these days. On the last occasion, a cross-country group, one of the women spoke very good English (wife of a diplomat) so was able to translate some more technical bits for me; the instructor, an old grizzled guy with a huge beard and a rabbit skin hat (it was perishingly cold), spoke about three words of English and also had a slightly difficult accent! None of us has encountered another Brit in a group lesson in our area but on one private lesson I had the ESF instructor spoke impeccable English and liked to show it off. Sadly he also liked showing off his skiing - it was an off-piste lesson and he unwisely led me down the track of a very quiet and steep drag lift, in a kind of gully - down into the gully, up the other side, quick turn, back into the gully. It was a thing of beauty when he did it...... Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue and pam w, we have now booked Risoul (S/C apartment/flat). Not excited at all, but have loaded Risoul app on the phone already, just in case something happens in the next six or seven weeks before the season opens. And just had a quick little look on YouTube. A few times. And checked out the piste map. And planned some itineraries. And only 111 days to go, but who's counting.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope you have a good time - funnily enough we're looking for somewhere at Christmas and are wondering whether to go back there and see whether we find it different now we (well they - can all ski a bit better!!!!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We (family of four mixed ability) have visited Risoul three times and love it. Fantastic value and v friendly. Would thoroughly recommend ski cool Risoul for lesson s small groups and they all speak good English. Enjoy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Risoul will be perfect for you - i've been twice once with family (kids similar standard to yours at the time) and once with mates - good standard - both groups loved it. It's a lovely well linked tree lined resort with a nice town - most the accom is self catered - when we went with mates we stayed in foret blanche which was fine and well located, we did get a 6 berth for 4 of us though. stayed in a different self catered with the family which was nicer but more expensive. Foret blanch is fine though. You'll have a great time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dobby. I think you'll love Risoul. Went there 4 years running - the first when I was a very cautious learner (scared witless really Sad ) & my OH a very good skier. We had a great time every year & with lessons from very friendly ESF guys I gained confidence every year & ended up loving skiing over to Vars & the fabulous area. Echo Other posts re SC but there was a good butchers & groceries shop there as well as Spar so we did pretty well cooking on 2 hobs & with a Nice bottle of wine & some cider were well fed & watered Very Happy . Plenty of nice places for lunch as well. Enjoy Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarletgirl, thanks. I am counting down the days and looking at the webcams, hoping they get some more fresh stuff (a month since it snowed), but the runs seem to be holding up quite well despite the warm weather. Any recommendations for places to have a coffee/lunch on the mountain? Also, I presume that there is at least one cash point (though I won't rely on it)?
latest report
Hi dobby. Our favourite places were Le Tetra, bottom of the vallon bleu - the plat du jour at lunchtime or drink on your way home before the sun goes; a place at the bottom of the Heureux ( on the way to Vars); another name I can't remember but it feels like its in the middle of nowhere , at the bottom of the Razis chairlift, think you get there on the saluces (from Vars) Which is a beautiful run; L'ecureuil was also a great place for lunch - handy at end of ski school. Our favourite evening restaurant was the Marmotte (I think!) - great Raclette. Hope they're all still there - it's a while since we were in Risoul but still talk about going back there again. We got a bit tired of the long transfer so have been to Austria in recent years - off to Mayrhofen this year, same date as you. Look forward to hearing how you got on but I'm sure you'll have a great time Smile
ski holidays
PS yes there were a couple of cash points there
snow report
Scarletgirl, ooo, raclette. One of my girls could eat a whole one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy