Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Torq Energy

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used Torq Energy drinks and bars, keen to hear feedback.

I've spent all summer/ autumn and winter getting my weight down lost 27kg, eating really clean, and building up core/ legs strength and training heavy now 8-9 spin/ pump/ spin and circuits gym classes a week - cramming for my next Arlberg trip at the end of the month.

I skied in St Anton over Xmas/ New Year and found I lost energy late pm when skiing really hard, body has clearly become less of a storage machine and I ran low on energy, didnt take enough fluids on, and am keen to take some additives in my liquids from now on but the right ones, not isotonic lucozade sugary stuff though, I've been researching Torq a bit, all natural etc which appeals to me.

Does anyone use Torq, and where's best to buy it online, only available direct or elsewhere?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never tried Torq but I think that's one of the natural ones, so ought to be alright. Clif is another I think.

Cyclists seem to complain about SIS, which apparently has some rather "explosive" unwanted side effects in some people.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snake oil.

Don't just take my word for it, check up on the independent research.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/7/prweb9739129.htm

A good diet will do FAR more for you than any energy drinks or bars. Also, look at a low-carb, high fat (and you need far less fat than you think even for it to be high fat) as fat is a much higher energy source than a pure carb source.

Some more on the concept of the LCHF diet in exercise:

http://thehealthfanatic.co.za/Topics/Lifestyle/Tim-Noakes-on-LCHF,-Endurance-Sport-and-Surfing!.aspx?fb_action_ids=10151406899458627&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

( can't seem to get this URL to not wrap so : http://tinyurl.com/av9es6h )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
edit: I should add that, I just carry chocolate bars (Balisto usually) for a quick energy fix when on skis, or bananas when on the bike (with an emergency power bar of some kind, just in case)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrs NBT uses Torq recovery powder after exercise - I do notice when she forgets a she's always tired afterwards when she doesn't take it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Muesli type bars with choc chips are quite good as the choc provides a small quick hit while the oats are slow release energy givers so will help sustain you a bit longer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lilywhite wrote:
Muesli type bars with choc chips are quite good as the choc provides a small quick hit while the oats are slow release energy givers so will help sustain you a bit longer.

This.

Cereal bars and plain water is far more effective than a sports drink. The water is absorbed faster into the system than a carb laden drink, and the cereal bar has a much better spread of carb types so you don't get a sugar spike, which often leaves you feeling less energetic when it passes.

Doing my 100 mile cyclosportive in September , I fuelled myself with two bidons of plain water, a banana and a cereal bar. Calculations suggest that I burnt 3500 calories on that ride, and yet I never once felt low on energy. Others that I overtook were stuffing energy gels and sports drink into their faces...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, seems like I need a rethink, going to have a chat with the owner of the gym where I go, its all a new area to me so need to be careful before putting stuff in to make sure its the right stuff!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29, Bear in mind that many fitness professionals believe, whole heartedly, in much of the information pedalled by the sports nutrition manufacturers. There's a LOT of scientific research that's sponsored by the manufacturers which apparently supports their claims, but when you look deeper, it doesn't. Indeed, in some cases, the recommendations from the manufacturers can actually be dangerous.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, Noted, need to look deeper. What sort of cereal bars do you eat?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, I've used tesco own-brand cereal bars, but find them a little small. Jordan's Frusli are a better size, but you're paying for the brand-name. Still cheaper than the sport-specific ones tho, and when you compare the nutritional information, not a lot of difference.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For energy out on all-day bike ride i keep it simple. Loads of water with left over Christmas cake (no icing) and/or a couple of bags of dried fruit and nuts.

Good slow release carbs, but with enough sugary ones to give you an instant lift.

I suppose the same would work for all day skiing too, but I don't bother.

i don't take anything special at the gym, although I sometimes grab a protein shake if I've some cash on me and I've been shifting a lot of weight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
For energy out on all-day bike ride i keep it simple. Loads of water with left over Christmas cake (no icing) and/or a couple of bags of dried fruit and nuts.

Good slow release carbs, but with enough sugary ones to give you an instant lift.

I suppose the same would work for all day skiing too, but I don't bother.

i don't take anything special at the gym, although I sometimes grab a protein shake if I've some cash on me and I've been shifting a lot of weight.

That'll be some expensive, protein rich poo you'll be flushing away Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What are people's opinions on Whey protein after skiing. I take it after the gym, it helps repair muscles and staves off my hunger pangs...does anyone take it after skiing?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just drink chocolate milk (or cherry and banana) for a bit of protein. Lots of sugars too, so can have other side effects. And chicken for dinner or after exercise snack.
ski holidays
cyberil wrote:
Quote:

What are people's opinions on Whey protein after skiing. I take it after the gym, it helps repair muscles and staves off my hunger pangs...does anyone take it after skiing?

More snake oil... doesn't do anything that a good balanced meal will do....

Other than provide your local sewage treatment plant with some protein rich poo of course.

Your body can only absorb so much proteins form any volume of food you take. Most of that shake is going straight out the other end.
latest report
I use a mix of glucose gels (High 5 and Power par) for rapid carbs (I'm diabetic so I do require this sometimes) and muesli bars with dried fruit. Sports drinks (cheap Aldi version) or diluted squash work well for mountain bike rides.
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
I use a mix of glucose gels (High 5 and Power par) for rapid carbs (I'm diabetic so I do require this sometimes)

Totally.. this is somewhere that the gels ARE useful, and I carry one or two in my first aid kit just in case. They are basically the same as the ones that are provided to medics, but far cheaper.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy