Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Concave base on my kids skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just finishing up a marathon few nights of sorting out multiple pairs of skis, and noticed my youngest daughers skis are concave (?)

If I put a metal scraper on the base, I can see daylight in the middle with it touching both edges.

should I get them stone ground to fix this, or will it not make any difference??

Thanks.

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, if it was in the shovels and tails only then no, but if concaved under foot then I would, a proper stone job though as a sander will mostly follow the concave and you will lose lots of base with them trying to get it out.

Are they actually concaved or just "edge high?"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The skis will be extremely "grippy". Speak to Jon Coster, but I'd be tempted to get them ground back to flat.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They need to be flat(ish). Many skis come from the factory with some concavity in the tips'n'tails, especially if they're a tight radius design, which is ok. Totally flat is ideal as it ensures the ski is not grippy as Rob says & can be rolled easily from edge to edge, plus a base edge angle guide works accurately but you can still have a little bit of concavity in the full length of the ski & it still perform well, providing there's a reasonable strip of flat base adjacent to each edge - say 15mm each side minimum - which usually equates to about 0.25-0.5mm 'daylight' in the centre.
The ski will first be flattened first on a sander as if it's put immediately on a stonegrinder the 'high' edges on the ski will knacker the stone. I only use a base sander as purchasing a stone grinder would be commercial suicide however with the use of modern hard drums (to avoid the problem gatecrasher described) & silicon carbide/Moonflex belts I'm able to not only flatten but to also structure the bases to a high standard on the one machine.

kitenski, most p-tex bases are only 1.1-1.2mm thick so if the concavity is severe the skis might be toast. How much daylight are you seeing underfoot below your straight edge?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An interesting thread and one linked to my own current question which is: Having just got round to seeing a pair of Elan Amphibio skis I wondered whether the profile of their bases/edges with one side cambered and one side rockered presented any specific ski tuning issues which we should be aware of.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 3-01-13 23:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, on the Amphibios that I've seen the profile is only in tip/front portion of the ski so it's not a problem for a good operator to 'miss' that section if they ever need a grind. The big problem with handed skis is that the same inside edges take all the wear/damage rather than it being shared across both edges. From an edge life perspective you could therefore argue that they'll only last half as long.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, interestihng - I guess its a judgement call then when you take them for a grind service whether you feel the operator is skilled enough to realise that they have a special profile, or whether its worth pointing out at the time even though you might be thought to be doing things with grandmothers and eggs.

Regarding the wear that they could get, there are a number of mentions on the internet that it can be interesting (even better!) to ski with them on the wrong feet and put the rocker to greater use in slushy, cruddy and powder conditions - effectively giving almost two different skis in one, but it might mean it is possible to put some wear onto those edges which otherwise wouldn't get used.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, to me they're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crap piccie taken with iPhone, hopefully you can see the white line under the metal scraper!!

Ski base by kitenski, on Flickr
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, I won't argue with your view, you have incredibly more experience than I do and that is worth loads. They have been getting good reviews online though. No, I just raised the issue as kitenski, had that problem with his non-flat skis and it just made me think that if the technology took off it might have issues with people trying to grind bases flat. Though I expect kitenski's, ones are meant to be flat!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, my wife's skis also appear concave, perhaps more than the one in your our photo. Only been skied a few weeks although 3 years old. At least to me, your ski doesn't look that bad. I'd be interested in what spyderjon thinks, as I may need to take my wife's skis to him for a base grind. I'll try to post some similar photos.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy