Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We have booked our flights for the 12th Feb for 5 nights flying into Geneva. (Half term I know but when you have a teacher on board what can you do!?!)

We have done Les Gets and Morzine over the last 2 years and feel there is still enough to do and see over the other side of the Portes Du Soleil past Avoriaz so am now in search of a resort on the Swiss/French boarder.

I have been recommended Chatel as a base but just wanted to know if anyone else has stayed there and what they though of it. Is it easy enough to get up to the high parts from Chatel and is there good skiing to be had locally? Is the resort nice and are there decent ars etc?

We also have a complete beginner (snowboarder) who would need to get access to Skis school each morning, would this be easy enough in Chatel?

Any advice hugely appreciated or if anyone can think of any other resorts to stay around this area please let me know.

Many Thanks

George
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a slightly biased view having skied in chatel for over 10 years but I think it is great! If you have stayed in les gets/Morzine (and were happy) you dont have to worry about how snow sure chatel is. Pre la Joux is the main ski area under the chatel name ('Super chatel' is a bit naff, except for off piste that is untouched up to about 3 days after snow!). It is fantastic, long blue and reds through to steep bumps blacks and a big casual green track. There is a great beginners area at the bottom, good for teaching/learning. There are a few ski schools in town, BASS/ESI/ESF and another though Ive forgotten their name, francis sports of something they have a small school. You then also have a choice from several private British and French instructors who are all pretty good. Book them early, half term sells out really fast!

To answer you question of getting to a high place, you can get up to the top of Avoriaz or Mossette within 1 hour of getting on the base chair at Pre La Joux.

That is the busiest time of the season though, so expect to be queuing a bit! You can head down the valley from chatel on the same pass and there are a couple of very quiet areas but they are small and the snow is not as good (half term it should still be very good). So these would be Cret Beni in Chapelle D'Abondance. It is small but has an express 6 seater that you can ski straight onto all day, and a little 3 seater and some nice runs from a long button lift. Also Abondance (futher drive down the valley) would be very quiet and is good when conditions are good. It would be very quiet aswell.

Where Chatel does not really match other resorts like Morzine is the night life is not the same. It is good and lively at peak times, but generally on a slightly smaller scale. But the bars are more expensive in chatel, only one happy hour in town (Lion D'or) and the cheapest normal pint (Stella) is €5.40!! there are a few bars, Avalanche, Escalier ,La godille L'Isba and a couple more smaller ones. One night club, Sloopy's, it is a pretty good night out, again not cheap though. Or you can head over the hill, 5 minute drive into Morgins Didier Defago's home town! They have the Saf club, its good and cheaper. The ski area is not as well linked from Morgins though, and local runs dont come close to Pre La Joux/Linga.

Plenty to think about there.

I would say do it, everyone I have skied chatel with has had a great time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holyjasper, Chatel is a super base for the PdS, the only issue is that the ski area is split, Super Chalet accessed from the village by gondola links to Morgins, etc. on the Swiss side, there is also a chair from the village which gives access to Torgon, the other area, Linga and Pre La Joux is a bus ride away and connects with Avoriaz etc. It's been a while since I skiied there but there were plenty of good bars and restuarants both in the village and in the Linga sector. Chatel is a very pleasant resort which has an almost Swiss feel about, the only drawback is that it's comparatively low, around 1200 metres so it can suffer in a poor snow year, it is however one of the closest resorts to Lac Leman so it does benefit from the recipitation generated by the lake's proximity.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last bad snow season was 4/5 years ago? When it was terrible everywhere! But we managed and stayed open until the end. Last season I was skiing 80cm deep powder on April 1st, faceshots everywhere! And there are several really good bowls for off piste. Pre la joux always has great snow, but the town have now decided to future proof the resort and have added more snow cannons this summer, Im not to keen on this because the snow is always nicer to ski without them, but at least you know the main runs are all covered top to bottom. Chatel, between linga, Super and pre la joux now has in excess of 175 snow cannons I think so certainly at half term there shouldnt be a problem!

davidl, they have been discussing a link chair for almost a decade. The land it is due to go on is owned by lots of people, I think this was the problem. They have now set a dates (next summer!) to construct 2 lifts allowing Linga and Super Chatel to be connected. So that is good, but TBH I like it as it is, I would rather see them replace the Pre la Joux peak chairs (a 2 man and a 4 servicing the same pistes), the only non express lifts left in the Linga/Pre la Joux area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chatel is a great place, with a massive ski range, you can't get bored. It's a quiet town, so if you're looking for lots of night life it's not really the place.

It properly opened this weekend.

Looking forward to getting out there over xmas.

Ikey
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
merry christmas everybody,i have beed to chatel on many occassions ,and have always had great conditions lots of miles to explore ,night life is ok skiing is greatnever to busy,but i have never been at half term ,have a great time
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's good news about the link lift. A couple of seasons ago I was staying at Morzine and wanted to try the Super Chatel/Morgins side of things, but had to wait for close to half an hour for the bus to turn up. Luckily it was a decent day, but I'd rather have been on the move.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to say I will be heading for shark-free Chatel in a little matter of 33 sleeps' time so very interested in this thread. Have not been to PdS before, but love big linked areas like 3V and Sella Ronda. I suppose we are red-run cruisers. Any suggestions?

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish, A few suggestions for days based in Chatel:

1. Head up to Super Chatel (or Barbossine if open) and then head over to Torgon (no need to go down to the village unless you want to), up the drag lifts and over to La Chapelle. You can then ski everything on that half of La Chapelle before heading back down to Torgon and up the long fast chair to above Barbossine. Usually quiet and lots of superb reds and fast blues.

2. The whole of the area above Pre La Joux has good reds and the runs down to Linga are also good (top can be steep/icy).

3. Pre La Joux over to Lindarets and then up to the ridge above Avoriaz then back down to take the Mossettes chair. From here either back down to Lindarets or if you are a fast moving group over to Les Crosets.

4. Classic circuit (others may have their own take on this). Start at Super Chatel then over to Chalet Neuf. Down to Morgins and up the Folleuse, over to Champoussin, up to Les Crosets and up to Mossettes. From here down to Lindarets, up the Chaux Fleurie to above Plain Dranse and then ski all the way down to Pre La Joux. (If you are moving really fast you can fit into this a go at The Wall (Chavanette) or a cruise down Ripaille to Gran Paradis then back up to les Crosets from Champery

5. Follow 3 but ski down into Avoriaz. Take the Express Intrets chair to give access to the Avoriaz black runs (Coupe du Monde not much above red really) and either ski them or head over above Arare and into the Fornet bowl (can be tricky to find the route - just stay on the piste as far to skiers right as possible). You can also access The Wall from here.

6. If you have a car drive over to Morzine and park in the underground car park below Pleney. All of Morzine/Les Gets then lies before you but the M/LG experts will have to point you at the best bits.

7. Day in St Jean d'Aulps. Not connected but is on the PDS pass. Just a beautiful little area with plenty for a day.

8. Drive to Verbier (1h 15m to Le Chable) - awesome area.

Enjoy! Hope the enthusiasm came through above - this will be my 22nd season skiing the PDS from Chatel and we are still finding new pistes!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really appreciate your advice. I will study the piste map with interest. Thanks.

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
R555MAC,
Quote:

davidl, they have been discussing a link chair for almost a decade. The land it is due to go on is owned by lots of people, I think this was the problem. They have now set a dates (next summer!) to construct 2 lifts allowing Linga and Super Chatel to be connected. So that is good, but TBH I like it as it is, I would rather see them replace the Pre la Joux peak chairs (a 2 man and a 4 servicing the same pistes), the only non express lifts left in the Linga/Pre la Joux area.

Did this happen last summer? Are these area's now linked?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davejsy, Not yet but it is still planned. I believe that now the new Rochassons chair is in they are going to take out the other one that leads to the ridge and reuse it.

Something on the Chatel mairie website on this. If I can find it I will post.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DJL, I have not skied from Chatel for 20 or so years, we used to have a small apartment in Petit Chatel. Is the Barbossine lift the one on the road just down from Petit Chatel? We used to use this often but there was no official way back down so always ended up in the town. Is there a piste there now?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CP - still no piste but you can ski down the road and cut through the field to get to Petit Chatel.

Actually straight down the fields from the mid station is also OK
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DJL, In your opinion is it most busy in Chatel for the UK half term, or the Paris half term? We've got Feb 17th-27th off and have it pencilled in for skiing, I'm a bit worried with it been the Paris school holidays that it will be really busy?
snow conditions
davejsy, The busiest time is when half-terms of Paris, UK and the Dutch coincide. This year UK is only together with a third of France (and not Paris) but the week you are looking at has two thirds of France (including Paris) and the Dutch and will be the busiest of the year I should think. Probably not the response you were hoping for.
latest report
DJL, not really! It could of been worse and been the UK and Paris holidays the same week. at least with the Paris holidays spread out over two weeks, I can always hope that they all decide to go the second week! I can't say i've ever seen/heard Dutch when I've been skiing, I guess the mountains are a bit of a novelty for them!
It's more my girlfriend that I'd prefer the slopes to be a bit quieter, as it's her first time and always more daunting with people whizzing past. I guess we'd all want empty deserted slopes though (unless you work there of course).

I did toy with going elsewhere, but we have a friend with an apartment there so it's cheaper for us to go there. I've also been to Les Gets twice and love it round that area.

Another question: I used to love the views of Mont Blanc from the Mont Chery side in Les Gets. Obviously Chatel is a bit further round, are there still good views towards Mont Blanc?!

I'll no doubt have lots more questions now we've actually booked everything. Very Happy
latest report
davejsy, There are a serious number of Dutch who visit Chatel (including Mrs DJL!) - once your ear is tuned in you hear Dutch spoken everywhere. Doesn't half spook them when the English guy on the chair next to them engages them in Dutch when they've just been rude about everyone because "no-one will understand what I'm saying"! If you're driving out and are lucky enough to have some snow they are very easy to find - they'll be fitting their chains on a hairpin bend or trying to push the car out of a snow drift (this is impossible because the car is full of a weeks worth of groceries from Albert Heijn).

Some good view points around Chatel. Top of Morclan above Super Chatel is pretty good (but not the place for a beginner) and one or two spots on the run from Barbossine to Super Chatel are good. Doesn't match Mont Chery though. There is also a good spot at the top of the Les Combes lift (Plain Dranse side of the top of Linga) but you need to hike about 50m just right of straight ahead as you come off the lift)
snow conditions
DJL, very funny! I trust Mrs DJL has a good sense of humour!

Many thanks for the tips on good view points. I'd like to ski over to Mont Chery one day (conditions allowing), any idea how long this would take?

I also have a few more questions, if you or anyone else might be able to assist:

Can you recommend a good ski instructor? My GF hasn't skied before, and I want her to have some lessons, ideally one 2 one (or a very small group) for the first 3 days at least.

Reasonable places to eat both on and off the mountain?

Cheap drinks! We're not big drinkers, but do like a couple of pints after skiing.
latest report
davejsy, Mrs DJL holds the same view as me on her countryfolk (actually I like them but they can be loud, too orange and a bit in your face).

We haven't had lessons other than the odd tune up for me in quite a few years so I'm not the best source of advice. I've read good things about BASS but others may be able to add more.

I wouldn't recommend Chatel - Mont Chery unless you move pretty fast. Certainly it is a non-starter for your girlfriend. It's a long way with two town centres to traverse and quite a lot of lifts and fairly dull skiing in places. Also fair chance to get lost if you don't know the way. If you have a car drive round and park up in Morzine or Les Gets - gives you loads of time to explore Morzine/Les Gets which is well worthwhile.

There are a few bars and pubs in Chatel. If you want a home from home The Tunnel or The Avalanche are closest to a British pub (Avalanche is good if there is a 6 Nations rugby game on). La Godille just down from the main bakery is probably the one I'd go in after skiing (though we usually shoot straight up to the apartment for a beer on the balcony). L'Abreuvoir opposite Vonnes is a strange experience - some of the regulars popped in for a quick drink in early January 1980 and haven't been home since I think!

Lunch on the slopes depends where you are and what you want. Avoid the big self service at Super Chatel. If you ski down below it the Restaurant Portes du Soleil is better (though it seemed not quite so good this year). There is also a place at Chalet Neuf which was quite good when we tried it but is in Switzerland and more expensive. At Pre La Joux the Perdrix Blanche is good for lunch and after ski beers. At Plain Dranse you have a large range, The main Plain Dranse self service place is good and delivers big portions. My favourite is Chez Denis which is attached to a guys cow shed (no cows up there in the winter) and quite French. Le Vieux Chalet ("Chez Babeth") is an experience and everyone you speak to will have their own favourite.

For dinner in the village Le Vieux Four is our favourite (and their fixed price three ourse lunch is unbeatable at Euro14) although the best food is probably at the Macchi hotel (expensive and a bit Michelin star style). Table d'Antoine also good. If you are near Linga La Ripaille is worth a go. If you have transport it is worth going to Les Cornettes in La Chapelle d'Abondance - table in the main room is best and take a big appetite.
snow report
DJL, thanks once again for all the advice. I can cover quite a bit of ground skiing so the Chatel - Mont Chery would probably be ok, and I'd know my way once I got to Avoriaz. I wouldn't think of taking the Gf, unless of course she's annoyed me enough!

I always do get a car, but I've just looked at the prices and it's over £300 for the 10 days we are there. I'm not sure I can justify that given we'd not really use it much. I've got a friend who lives in Geneva so I've tried to tap him up for a lift there and back.

Hopefully someone will come back about an instructor recommendation. The La Chapelle d'Abondance looks like it has nice easy runs, so I guess it would be a good place to take my GF when she's not on her lessons? Can you get there easily by bus? (don;t think you can ski there looking at the map?)
snow conditions
davejsy, Just seen this - must try to keep up!

You mentioned that you thought La Chapelle was an area to try. I'd agree with that. If you have a car you can drive down to the Braitaz bubble and if not you can get there on the bus. I've never skied the "other" side of the valley at Panthiaz but it faces N/W so won't get much sun. Not sure how to get there without a car and it doesn't link to the Braitaz/Torgon/Barbossine area.

If you are skiing in Super Chatel you can get across that way on skis though it involves a run from the top of Morclan that is a proper red plus quite a bit of faffing around on drag lifts (or a bumpy black alternative). You can achieve the same by starting from Petit Chatel (Barbossine) which is on the bus route and then taking the two chairs. You then head over to Torgon on a blue or a red. This is actually pretty intimidating if your GF is nervous or not all that good technically. It is basically a wide steepish red which can be avoided by a road that takes a couple of traverses and hairpins above it to lose height over the steep bit. It is North facing so often icy. Over Christmas the blue was closed for avalanche risk so the only way down was the red. For a red run skier or a confident progressing blue run skier it is OK but a bit daunting. Equally it is the sort of run that could really dent confidence. Personally I love it for fast carving Once you are down to Torgon the rest of the skiing is a mix of reds and blues with something for everyone and usually not as busy as Chatel. IF you have any doubts about the access I would take the bus down to La Chapelle.

Whereabouts in Chatel are you staying and where are the lessons for your GF held, Pre La Joux or Super Chatel? It makes a difference to the areas where you might choose to ski.
ski holidays
Hi DJL, in my experience having completed numerous trips to Chatel. Great place and never been let down there. Regards places to ski with the GF, Plaine Dranse area with the Pierre Longue lift is a good area to get her learning in, lots of blue's a couple of greens and some easy reds to start, however, I'm sure the instructors will point you in the right direction depending on snow conditions etc. Essentially, head for the Pre La Joux lift area.

Regards ski school, there's a good number in chatel, think near the L'avalanche bar or le Tunnel there's an ESF (Ecole du Ski Francais), however, have had mixed reviews. Again, aim for the Pre le Joux lift and at the top there's a ski school in there and you can basically walk in and book something.

The main bars I've been in are the L'avalanche bar or le Tunnel.

Have fun out there.
snow conditions
Hi DJL, again many thanks for your detailed reply. I'm going to be very cautious about where I take my GF, as I don't want her losing her confidence. I'll be having a good scout around the area while she is on her lessons anyhow.

I haven't booked any lessons yet. I was hoping that I could get her some private lessons, but at £50 an hour this look's like it's not viable. So it look's like she'll have to go in a group lesson, and just hope she doesn't end up in a big group. She's quite sporty and cycles a lot so I'm hoping she'll pick things up pretty quick, although if you see a slightly bemused blonde haired girl heading towards you I'd suggest you get out of the way!!

We'll staying at:
C113 Hameau Des Quatre Saison
Route Des Bouchet
Petit Chatel

I think I've located it on the map, and apparently it's not far to walk to the lifts.

Afro Ski, thanks very much for the tips. There's quite a few ski schools listed on the Chatel website so I'll do some digging around. My GF can speak French so I guess that will help. Ideally I'd find someone for her to share a private lesson, but thats not very easy to do from Jersey!
snow report
davejsy, I don't know Chatel but would suggest booking ski lessons ASAP. I have a niece coming out to stay in our apartment near Les Saisies for half term,and she dithered about lessons for so long that when I booked - at least two weeks ago - there was only one 2 hour slot available in the entire week.

If your GF can speak French she'll enjoy a group lesson conducted in French - I'm doing that this week (in cross-country) and although my French is not terrific, it's most enjoyable - much preferable to having lessons in English from an instructor with limited command of the language.

But don't leave it too late! Any lessons are likely to be better than none.
snow conditions
pam w, point noted thanks Pam, i'm going to get straight on the case tomorrow.
ski holidays
davejsy, From where you are it's a shortish walk (uphill) to the barbossine lift. There is a ski bus stop for Quatre Saisons too.

If your GF is a complete beginner I think Pre La joux is your best bet. From there you can do some more challenging stuff during lessons and then meet up on the blue runs afterwards. Up the Pierre Longue lift followed by Chaux Des Rosees gets you to a nice wide easy angled blue. It's one of the busy weeks so booking lessons recommended.

Super Chatel also has some good blues at Chalet Neuf but a couple of the drag lifts have steep sections that can give beginners a tough time.

Hope the snow stays good for you (which means it was good for us the week before you!).
snow conditions
DJL, thanks. It certainly doesn't look like the snow will be melting anytime soon given the forecast!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davejsy, I've stayed there before, they are self catering apartments. If there is just 2 of you then they are fine, any more than that and they are pretty small, but standard for French. It's about a 10 minute walk into town, and 15 back up a pretty big hill!!! The nearest lift is 5 minutes away, but to get to Linga you will need transport.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, thanks. I guess they could be the same apartments, the one we are staying is owned by a friend so not normally rented out - I'm expecting small though!
snow report
Hoping someone can advise...I've just booked first family ski hol, in chapelle d'abondance for week from 13 to 20th dec. Soon after I realised that the ski lifts and ski schools may not be open that week. Having tried to do a little research online it seems the season won't start until the day we leave. Does anyone know if some of the lifts may open before the official season opening? We will have car so planning to trip into Chatel as often as needed. Many thanks.
snow conditions
davejsy, did you go to the apartment, how was it?
ski holidays
JI, Welcome - shame your first post is with a bit of a worry.

If this season is a guide Chatel opened for the weekend of 8/9 December and then part of the area (Pre La Joux/Linga only) from 15 Dec with the whole area opening 22 Dec. I'm not sure about La Chapelle.

Usually you would find a decent area open in the week before Christmas as that is when the bulk of the resort staff contracts typically begin.

Not sure about lessons - best bet is call them now and enquire - you may well be better off trying the Chatel schools.

I'm sure Avoriaz will be up and running but it is a bit of a hike (45 min drive then cable car).

Start the snow dance now - if the conditions are good you may find La Chapelle open.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, yes we did. Apartment was fine, only cost us £150 as it belongs to a friend. I loved Chatel, and was pleasantly surprised at the prices of drinks and food which was very reasonable. Skiing was great, although we were extremely lucky with a major dump of snow when we arrived and then blue skies the rest of the week. Would definitely recommend Chatel. Smile
ski holidays
Many thanks DJL.
snow report
davejsy, the reason I ask is because it sounds like the place that I stayed in, and that was through a friend of a friend who also lives in jersey! Did you walk up quite a big bill and it was on your right hand side? Something like "les hameau"???
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, yes you walk up the hill from the Les Vieux Four (think thats what it's called) restaurant and it's on your right hand side, can't remember the name though. I'd imagine it is the same place, don't think there are any other jersey owned apartments in the block!
latest report
Hi Dave

I am a Jersey boy living in Chatel, if we can help with anything give us a email at info@alpine-connection.com

Enjoy your holiday

Paolo
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy