Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Soll (ski welt) avoiding austrian vignette

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am flying to Munich, hiring a car then driving to Soll in Ski Welt.

I have read that you need to purchase a Vignette to drive on Austrian motorways.
Looking at the map, I think I could leave the autobahn in germany at Jct 59, head east on B172 to Neirendorf, South on B175 to Kufstein, then B173 South East, B178 to Soll.
The last 2 roads would be used if driving on the motorway anyway. Looks like same distance probably a little slower.

Does this mean I can avoid buying the Vignette?

(after all they come over 'er, pay nothing, drive on our motorways...plus drink our beer, take our jobs, take our women...)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't HGV's now pay to use UK roads?

A vignette costs buttons and saves fannying around off the motorway. Why bother with the hassle of navigating?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can exit at Kufstein Nord with no vignette.

€8.30 would be a helluva lot to pay to go 1 junction.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you look on the map it really is little difference in journey.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Come off at the correct junction which is Kufstein South and head for the Felbertauern . No need for a vignette to this point on the Autobahn anyway. There really is no need to come off earlier.
Im arriving myself this Sunday into Munich from Gatwick on the 13.35 flight
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you know what the fine is, for not having vignette?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
€120 iirc for no sticker properly attached, extra if it's tampered with (I think). Plus the cost of a sticker.
Might be Kufstein-Süd to the border (both ways) that's toll-free (for cars/bikes only)
For those continuing beyond Kufstein to Innsbruck, they do have controls. I've been stopped twice. Fortunately all OK.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yes, I can see on the Bing map now that after that junction it turns from blue (free) to purple (pay up you bas***ds).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kezzy1966, You can come off at Niederndorf if traffic is heavy and slow going but you will end up queuing at the roundabouts on the south side of Kufstein where the B173 meets the road coming out of town. Here all the traffic from the motorway will have priority so you have to pray for someone else coming down from the B173 and wanting to come into Kufstein.

If traffic is heavy and the A93 is stopped (as it often is at weekends in winter), come off at Oberaudorf and follow the ST2089 through Kiefersfelden and on into Kufstein. It tends to be quieter. When you get to the B173, if the traffic is moving slowly or mayvbe not at all continue along B171 to Wörgl-Ost. Here you can pick up the Lofererstrasse (B178) and come into Söll from the other side. This is what the locals do to beat all the tourists blocking the other route! snowHead wink There is also an indepenedent super cheap petrol station at Kirchbichl on the road between Kufstein and Wörgl which certainly saves you a few pennies for more beers! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see they've resurfaced a bit of that road (North bound), and filled in some of the holes. Thought my wheels were going to fall off before. Last night's minor traffic jam was caused by a coach... with no back wheels! Not sure if the wheels had fallen off (they or the spares were leaning against the barriers) or if it had fallen off the jacks changing the wheel. Just north of Keifersfelden. Might still be there?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure when you are arriving but if its early doors on Saturdays leave yourself a little time as Soll is very busy first thing on Saturday mornings Not just because of local skiers but it is a very popular venue for German ski clubs. They have as many as 60 of their coaches up at the carpark for the gondolla. It tends not to interfere with the holiday lot unless you are Sun-Sun. That being said they are normally there crack of sparrow, so there will be alot of heavy traffic into Soll from Munich first thing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kezzy1966, Done it a couple of times, not too difficult and doesn't take much longer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the great advice. Arrived safely via the normal main route.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vignettes in austria are soooo cheap. i fail to see anything wrong with paying 8.30 for ten days use of their motorways. but then again, i come from ireland where you have a multiplicity of tolls. however, most garages internally in austria sell these vignettes, even if you have to travel on a motorway to reach the garage! i aleays play safe and buy the vignette at the border, but have on occassions travelled 20 miles before purchasing one in a garage. i have never, in 7 years driving within austria, seen a check for ther vignette.

however, petrol is cheaper in austria, so put some of the savings you make on fuel, into being legal!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
8.30 for ten days use when you don't actually need one is a bit silly though.

I have seen a check for vignettes, and have in fact been stopped twice myself in a routine check. the most recent was about 10 days ago.
snow conditions
andy. so i guess that you did indeed have a vignette and saved yourself 240€? see, it pays to be legal.
and as i said, travelling thousands of miles in austria, i have never come across a check. still, better safe than sorry
snow conditions
both times I'd bought one maybe half hour earlier, knowing full well they have checks.
but I was travelling well beyond Kufstein, so needed one. the OP wasn't, and didn't.
latest report
I never understood why is this vignette thing such a big deal. Do you really think so hard, and ask around on forums, if you should spend money for 2 beers (price of 10 day vignette) during holidays? Not to mention wandering on highway by accident and paying some 300eur (240eur penalty + 80eur for yearly vignette). Believe me that ASFINAG personnel doesn't care about "it was accident and I didn't mean to drive here" excuse Wink
snow report
kezzy1966, just to correct Andy's instruction, it is toll-free up to the Kufstein-Süd exit (so drive past Kufstein-Nord), so you will not need a Vignette. BUT the 8.30 Euro it costs for a 10-day Pickerl (local dialect work for the thing - it means Zit by the way!) does allow you to by-pass the long slow climb out of Kufstein, which can be quite a trial of stop-go traffic, or in the worst case, just plain stop. And that is from the autobahn exit all the way to the Söll/Scheffau interchange. hen traffic is heavy in either direction, I simply drive past Kufstein-Süd and exit the A12 at Wörgl-Ost. This puts me on the Schnellstrasse to Loferer (B178 - Lofererstrasse which brings me directly into the middle of Söll. If I were continuing on to Kitzbühel by the way I would also use this road but take the Brixenthalerstrasse and come up into Kitzbühel via Kirchberg on the B170. Also avoids all the crowds when going homewards! Toofy Grin
snow report
Have the Germans finished digging up their autobahns yet? Horrendous last summer going munich->dolomites.
snow conditions
prog99, Yes it usually is bad in May through to to July and then again from September to November. The A92/A9/A99/A8/A93 are all clear as far as I know. The massive roadworks along the A93 autobahn which looked at one point that they would not be finished, did actually finish before the ski season started.
Mind you a new major interchange is going in on the A8 starting this summer- just before the Inntaldreieck interchange where the A93 splits off the A8.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy