Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boney ankles

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I've been skiing for years but have had a real problem over the last couple of years with awful rubbing and pressure on my ankles, mostly insides. Apparently (according to boot fitters in resort) I have some of the biggest, most prominant, boniest ankles around-and this combined with fairly wide feet, means I've been getting extremely painful pressure points on my ankles. Not sure why this has only recently become a problem, and no it's not pregnancy related (I'm male).
I managed to find a pair of boots (Lange) in La Tania last week which were well below the usual pain threshold, but just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem and might have some advice re. boot makes and fits? I've tried larger boots which give me a bit more width but this just means there's too much space lengthwise in the boot. As I go skiing once or twice each year, I can see myself getting my own fitted pair before going out again this Easter! Any recommendations for places in London to get this done, and how much approximately can I expect to pay for a decent pair of boots properly fitted?

Cheers all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If youve got wide feet id recommend trying some technica boots, they tend to have a wide boot than any other companies Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, if you take them into a shop like Snow and Rock then the boot techs will be able to grind parts of the boot away to create more room and hopefully reduce pressure points...

Failing that, foam injected liners? they are costly but if youre constantly having a problem then its worth a try
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/kvDMlk3kSYg Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Head Edge boots have a wider last, may be worth a try. I was of the understanding that Lange boots were a relatively narrow fit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most people we see who have "wide"feet measure narrower than they think but the foot collapses inwards and the forefoot splays outwards making the foot appear wider than it is, if you reduce any excess motion of the foot and stabilize the foot then the ankle will remain in a stable place in the boot, then the boot can be stretched to accommodate the ankle bone if required. What you don't want is too much space as this is just space for the ankle to roll into and rub on. I would stay away from a foam injection liner unless all else fails, there are other types of aftermarket liner available which work well for lumps and bumps inside boots. Making sure the boot is he correct size and shape and holds the back of the foot well is the most important thing, it can be stretched for ankle bones and forefoot width If required

Good luck getting sorted
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn, wrong thread Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowhound, in a lot of snowHead 's views, CEM is "THE MAN" when it comes to boot-fitting, and you would be very wise to consider organising to visit him at his place in Bicester if you live anywhere even vaguely within striking distance. You may notice that he did not advertise his services himself (other than by his sig), but I am quite happy to advertise on his behalf (and don't get any commission for doing so wink )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also have the same problem with thin feet and boney ankles. Red painful ankles after 1 hours skiing and then dealing with the pain on every turn for the rest of the week. I have had my solomon Custom fit boots inners blown to suit the ankle bone , then the boot outers were stretched by a fitter in resort and also custom footbeds made to limit the movement in the foot and so reduce the pressure and movement on the ankle bone.

I have tried foam doughnuts taped to my ankles to try and spread the pressure around the ankle bone but after a while I have found that the compeed blister pads are the best think to reduce the pressure on the ankle bone. I use about 4 of the medium Compeed pads on each ankle at a time and it seems to reduce the pain. They stay on for a couple of days at a time and do not get too manky!!!

For once or twice a year I now put up with with the pain or straight line it down the slope to avoid turning ... "NO Pain , No Pain" Rocky style sometimes!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the same problem & had my boots modified - can't recall if they did the inner, shell or both but problem fixed almost instantly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have suffered with this for years, tried various footbeds (these help a bit and stop your ankles falling inwards ad causing pressure), foam doughnuts, many visits to the shop for shell stretching, sprays and creams ....the full works.

The pain can be unbearable, ruins your weeks holiday and kills your skiing ability.

The doughnuts and pads just cause more pressure elsewhere

The simple and most effective thing is to just cut a circular hole in the liner the size of the ankle bone. The bone slips into the hole and takes away all the pressure. Cover the hole and around it with some tape to help insulate from the cold and prevent any fraying of the liner.....shouldn't be a problem with cold or touching the shell....the benefit is worth this slight issue

I decided to do this last year after the first day when I felt the rubbing starting

Provides pain free skiing....wish I'd done it years ago!!

Hope this helps
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JustinTime, welcome to snowHeads. Are you aware all of this is 2 years ago?

I wouldn't go with your remedy personally, much better to grind/stretch the shell, assuming you've bought the correct boot in the first place.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yip...realise its 2 years ago but just came across the article.....as mentioned, numerous visits to the shop for stretching and grinding did not work as there is a limit to how much you can do this....I also have unusually sticky out ankle bones.

Have tried various things over the years but the pain is unbelievable with the slightest pressure.

Anyone who has this problem will realise how bad it is.

Agree that you need the correct boot, it has to be correctly fitted and have the correct adjustments and footbed etc.

If you have tried everything else it is a solution that works.

I am not recommending doing this in the first instance.

Problem is that once you are on the slope and suffer the pain you are stuck with it for the rest of your trip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi-this is a blast from the past!
I got myself a pair of fitted Fischer boots from Edge and Wax a few weeks ago and tried them out in the week before Christmas, with plenty of compeeds in place. First 2 or 3 days, still some soreness/pain on the inside heels but not as much as I would have had before I had got myself some fitted. Then, in the last couple of days-hardly any discomfort at all...so, hoping that it took them a few days to bed in and from now on, they will be hunky dorey. La Plagne at Easter will test out that theory....
The instructor I was with was raving about some new fangled vacuum Fischer boots which she reckoned were spot-on for non regular feet.

I might go back though and see if they can tweak them at all.

Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowhound wrote:

The instructor I was with was raving about some new fangled vacuum Fischer boots which she reckoned were spot-on for non regular feet.

Fischer do a range of vacuum fit boots, designed to fit the shape of your foot. I also have very bony ankles and these boots have worked for me.
snow conditions
Richard E, Do they work for narrow feet say 96mm?
snow report
Cynic, I don't know about narrow feet, but I assume so as the boot is moulded to the foot shape. Best you seek expert advice.
snow report
Any experts? do Fischer vacuum Pro boots fit narrow feet say 95mm wide
snow conditions
I have just bought some vacuum boots & they will go down to 93mm for my super narrow feet!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy