Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations Lessons Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
I am a beginner going to saalbach can you recommend best school? I see some lessons are on short skis progressing to long skis ? Is this better?
Thanks!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That sounds like the Evolutif method that was, until fairly recently IIRC, taught in Les Arcs (and maybe other places I'm not aware of).

Anyway, I'm not sure its a favoured method any more - general rule of thumb is that beginners should aim to ski on skis that, when stood on their tips, are only as long as the distance from floor to chin, or perhaps slightly shorter. When proficient, maybe increase the length to around a similar to eye-level height.

Of course, much depends on the ski and its flex/rigidity, but as a beginner, i would imagine you will be given fairly "soft" skis.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 12-12-12 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads BTW Jillyb snowHead

There are a few Saalbach experts hereabouts, so I am sure your ski school question will be answered soon. When are you going?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of ski schools to choose from, I'm going to plug Fuerstauer as I've worked for them in the past. Office is right in the centre of town, near the Schattberg gondola.

I've never come across anyone teaching there in the way you describe, definitely not 'normal.'
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="clarky999"]Lots of ski schools to choose from, I'm going to plug Fuerstauer as I've worked for them in the past. Office is right in the centre of town, near the Schattberg gondola.

I've never come across anyone teaching there in the way you describe, definitely not 'normal.'[/quote

Hi thanks I have been looking at that school Smile it was the snow academy I assume if you worked there you will know them too, just torn between the schools so though some advice would be good! this is their learn to ski notes :-

Group size: Min. 5 - max. 12 persons – from 12 years on
Target: Beginners + slight advanced skiers
Our LTS Learn-to-ski method enables you to start skiing very quickly. We start skiing with a specially developed short carving ski.

Beginners start with a 140cm short ski and, depending on your progress during the week, a change to a longer ski is possible. Because of the short ski you learn to ski faster, safer and more easily.

Even faster! With money-back-guarantee!

We recommend that persons under 1,75m in height takes skis of 120 cm length, for taller persons 140 cm.

In our ski rental you'll find a large variety of short-carving skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowacademy tried the 'short-to-long' ski progression a couple of seasons ago. I've no idea if they are still using it or have gone back to teaching beginners on whatever skis they turn up on (within reason). Either way, if you want group lessons, you won't go much wrong with Snowacademy or Fuerstauer. Both have inclusive deals for instruction and ski rental; Fuerstauer do their deals with the Intersport shops in town, Snowacademy have their own rental shops. For private lessons, you could try either school, or Zink (located in the SkiPro shops). All 3 schools have British instructors if that is your preference. If you are travelling with a Tour Operator, they will almost certainly have an arrangement with one or other of the schools.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
quinton, Thank you, you have answered a question I had emailed to Snow Academy regarding ski rental but have not received a reply, I am guessing that they are not open yet. There is also another ski school called Easyski but I can't seem to find anything else about them apart from the web site so I was wondering if you had come across them? I've also emailed them and not received a response.

The packages do seem good value but I am concerned about the range of equipment for rent only because the missus has had trouble getting comfortable in ski boots at the dry slope. And so for that reason Furstaur are looking favourable as ski hire is through Intersport. - Although they do appear to be the most expensive by some way Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangledupinblue, The schools are probably not yet instructing, although I'm sure there are office staff at work in both Snowacademy and Fuerstauer. Try calling. Easyski is the smallest school in the village - I don't know if they do a tie-in with any of the rental shops. Easyski and Zink tend to focus on private lessons, so if your wife wants to join a group, then Snowacademy and Fuerstauer are the schools to look at.

You'll have no problems hiring gear - Snowacademy have 3 shops with a huge range of equipment, as do the Intersport shops. And if there is no joy there, you have the 2 SkiPro shops, the three Sport 2000 shops, plus Hagleitner, Steger's and Hansi's - somewhere there is a pair of boots with your wife's name on!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any recommendations on which of the 2 schools? Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jillyb, wrote:
Quote:

Any recommendations on which of the 2 schools?

Not really - both are good, both have good rental + instruction deals. Snowacademy have their own beginners area with their own small lifts, which is ideal if you are staying in the Hotel Central, Berger Sport, Alpenhotel, Alpine Resort Reiterhof or the Konig as they all back onto this beginners area, so you step out of your back door and put on your skis. Fuerstauer have a small kids area next to the Schattberg lift, but tend to teach adult beginners on the Turm lift area, which is all of 5 minutes away from their office, so both have great locations in the centre of the village. Either way, by about Day 3 you should be off the beginners areas and away up the mountain where the fun really starts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks:) we are staying in saalbacher hof looking forward to it prob won't be able to move after 3 days!!! So do u recon we should just book 3 days lessons and see how we go?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jillyb, If you've never skied before it's worth getting a week of lessons, IMO.

I haven't paid much attention to what the Snow Academy guys have been doing on the slopes, I haven't noticed groups of people skiing around on mini-skis though, and I'm not convinced that's a particularly good approach to take.

I have friends at Fuerstauer, Ski Academy and Zink, all the schools have good instructors who will show you a fun time, several of whom are in Saalbach now, with more turning up prior to Christmas. I don't think you could go wrong with any school really. As Quinton says, you should be able to get equipment and lessons in a package.

Are you looking for private or group lessons, btw?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of the issues with "short to long skis" learning was the swift transition to parallel skiing missing out on controlled snowplough and snowplough turns, I think. The advent of carving skis - generally shorter than the "straights" - also limited the appeal as an alternative teaching method. From what I gather, anyway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are two of us and we are there for two weeks, was thinking maybe group lessons initially then take it from there, any thoughts? Private lessons seem pretty expensive but wouldn't rule it out:)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with clarky999, for your first week on skis, book a 5-6 day group course. You'll have fun learning with the others in the group, who will all be in the same 'Bambi on Ice' state that you're in. Your first week on skis is an investment in the rest of your skiing life, so make sure that you get the best instruction that you can. The instructors will challenge you, but at the same time keep you safe and show you plenty of places on the mountain where you can ski that are suitable for your ability - and Saalbach really is an ideal resort for beginners and intermediates.

As you are in the Saalbacher Hof, you're spoilt for choice - the Snowacademy main office is opposite your hotel and you have to walk past the SkiPro/Zink shop to get to the Fuerstauer office, which is 2 doors away from you.

clarky999, the Snowacademy guys were teaching guests on short skis for the first day or two (in their own beginners area), then changing to regular lengths as soon as they ventured out onto the Turm/52 and beyond.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 12-12-12 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Private lessons are more likely to get you on the mountain more quickly with sustained coaching.

Ski school will take some of that focus off and you may, depending on the groups available, end up skiing at the slowest learners pace and not getting the input you may feel you need. The advantage though, other than cost, is that you also get to know other people and the group thing can be good fun. Not that private lessons aren't - just in a different way.

So, it could be a false economy going with ski school if private lessons required are fewer. I suppose how you get on will determine some of this.
snow report
Great thanks Smile do you recon it helps having a couple of days on short skis?Smile
I believe saahlbach is good for beginners also looking forward to the après ski:)!!
snow report
Thank you to everyone this is great information! We've got 2 complete beginners apart from a day on the dryslope and 2 who can confidently link snow plough turns and me who learnt to ski 30 years ago to try and get them all organized. So it will be a mixture of group and private lessons - Snow Academy is looking favourite for the group as it does seem good value and will also look at Zink for the private lessons

Can't wait to get out there Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

you may, depending on the groups available, end up skiing at the slowest learners pace and not getting the input you may feel you need.

That happened to me 31 years ago in Cervinia. I was keen to crack on and got so bored, cold and pissed off through waiting seemingly interminably for the 'slowest learners' (my description of them at the time was probably less polite) to pick themselves up and put their skis back on for the umpteenth time, that on the second morning I just gave up, skied off into the sunset (well, not literally) and never went back to ski-school - ever! Consequently, I'm now a completely self-taught but (technically speaking) fairly crap skier! The moral of the story is not to do as I did; instead insist on changing groups, and really value the tuition. No doubt most get there in the end, if not through formal instruction, through practice, copying and skiing with better skiers, reading books and articles about technique, and watching videos like "In Deep/In Deeper". However self-teaching involves a comparatively long process of trial and error and learning and painful unlearning of bad habits. When you watch intermediate skiers from the chair lifts, it is always apparent that the overwhelming majority of them are skiing badly (as they probably have for years) and are in dire need of instruction, although they're no doubt having a good time and are generally happy just to carry on doing their own thing indefinitely. Speaking as a self-taught blue run 'style expert' (provided it's sunny, not icy or slushy, and they're nicely groomed), who aspires some day to be able to do the blacks with some degree of style and competence, I do wholeheartedly agree with Quinton that
Quote:

Your first week on skis is an investment in the rest of your skiing life
, whether it be group tuition or private lessons.

This is really informative thread by the way. I'm sure many will find it useful - perhaps even my typically rambling, self-indulgent two-pennyworth!
snow conditions
It would be great to quantify the difference between private and group lessons; some say one day of private is worth a week of group lessons, not so sure that would be true. For the boys - who can link snowploughs - I am thinking 2 separate 2 hour private lessons maybe on the first and third day and see how they get on. They are adamant that they won't spend time in ski school Evil or Very Mad must say I cant blame them but each to their own. But for the 2 girls I think the social aspect of ski school would help with confidence etc but on the other hand would they progress better with the same plan as for the boys?? who knows; certainly budget wise it would be about the same.
ski holidays
tangledupinblue, IMHO (for what it's worth), since they're at different stages, I'd be inclined to go with your first suggestion of a couple of private lessons for the boys (depending on ages and who they will be with/spervised by the rest of the time) and ski-school for the girls. But I'm sure some of the ski instructors contributors will advise.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

you may, depending on the groups available, end up skiing at the slowest learners pace and not getting the input you may feel you need.

That happened to me 31 years ago in Cervinia. I was keen to crack on and got so bored, cold and pissed off through waiting seemingly interminably for the 'slowest learners' (my description of them at the time was probably less polite) to pick themselves up and put their skis back on for the umpteenth time, that on the second morning I just gave up, skied off into the sunset (well, not literally) and never went back to ski-school - ever!

Exactly my SO's experience....except she skied off not into the sunset on her first day on planks, but into a BASI ski school for several 2 hour private lessons. Her technique and confidence improved immeasurably, immediately.

Personally, I've only ever invested in private 1:1 lessons - a quick reckoning, about 24 hours worth.
ski holidays
Jillyb, I agree that, for complete beginners, a week of ski school makes lots of sense - though not if the ski school is so lackadaisical as not to "promote" a fast learner in a group of numpties. The father of a friend had that experience last year. He was fit and highly motivated. Promoted a group after the first morning (French ski school).

The short carving skis around now are nothing like short version of the old skis in use at the time of the "Ski Evolutif" method in Les Arcs. If a good ski school is using them, it's for a good reason, and I would be very surprised indeed if they weren't teaching snowplough, and snowplough turns, on them. I'd say they'd be fine, particularly if it's just for the first day or so. Ski instructors vary in their views - a visitor of mine went for a private lesson on short skis last year and the instructor was a bit sniffy. Laughing He said they were "too easy" but for many beginners there's no such thing as "too easy" and they can get the basics, such as shifting weight decisively, more quickly. Short skis should absolutely NOT be confused with "snowblades" - completely different animals. There's not much to be said in favour of snowblades.....

For complete beginners I'd say the "muscle memory" takes a bit of time to develop, and a series of short sessions over a week would normally work well. Ski schools in Austria and France have been teaching beginners to ski for many a year, and most people get on absolutely fine. It's possible to agonise too much about it. You're likely to get more out of private lessons when you've learnt the basics.

Having said that, I sent a complete beginner, a very nervous, twitchy, older woman, for private lessons last year, with a known and trusted instructor. I think she'd have been hopeless in lessons but they "clicked", as I knew they would, and she enjoyed her lessons, albeit her progress was very slow.

So, I'd conclude that some private lessons would be best either for super-nervous and under-confident types, or for very athletic and gung-ho skiers who might get bored in a group. For most of us in-betweeners, a group lesson with a good school should be fine for the first week.

I've seen several people "discharge themselves" from ski school after the first few days and the result isn't pretty, particularly if they get taken by others onto runs too hard for them and either develop a dreadful "I can hack down anything" style relying on brute leg strength, or get upset and give up.
latest report
Thanks everyone for your tips!!! Great
ski holidays
Quote:

tangledupinblue, IMHO (for what it's worth), since they're at different stages, I'd be inclined to go with your first suggestion of a couple of private lessons for the boys (depending on ages and who they will be with/spervised by the rest of the time) and ski-school for the girls. But I'm sure some of the ski instructors contributors will advise.

The boys are in there 20's, they did ski a good few years ago but didn't like ski school then so will not go back. But dry slope practice before the holiday and a couple of private lessons and we'll see where to go from there. But they are reasonably fit and sporty and have done lots of skateboarding - to my horror they were considering snowboarding Twisted Evil but have thought better of it Very Happy

Thanks to all for the advice
snow report
tangledupinblue, there are many hot skandi female ski instructors in Saalbach, they may want to reconsider Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

to my horror they were considering snowboarding

why horror? Some of my best friends are snowboarders.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy