Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do all Flight Ops now charge for boots and skis SEPERATELY and EACH WAY ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been searching for Christmas flight options BHX - GVA, and is it just me or is it standard practice for flight operators like EasyJet to charge an ADDITIONAL £26 for your suitcase, then another £27 for your skis, then a further £27 for your boots, EACH WAY ?

The flight costs alone are not too bad, but to add another £160 just for a case, skis and boot bag - seems ... ?

The £26 e/w for case is acceptable to me I think, but £27 x 4 (skis and boots each way) surely means it's cheaper to hire in resort and save the hassle of carrying them. Unfortunately I have wide feet and really need my custom-made liners and boots to allow comfortable skiing so this is a non option.

Frankly I'm just amazed that one's LUGGAGE can now double the cost of a flight !

Anyone else have experience of this, or any other advice how to get from the Midlands to France for Christmas under £300 ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of companies now offering to deliver your kit to resort so it's waiting when you arrive. I can't recommend one in particular so won't give a link, but Google is your friend!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chriscy99, Monarch are doing free ski carriage at the moment (if you book before the end of the year). Lufthansa also do free ski carriage. With charter flights your luggage is included and it's usually £30 return for your skis. Shop around. The 'cheap' airlines are often not cheap when you add it all up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chriscy99: you're not really in the right section of the forum for this question - you might move it for better replies.

Take a careful look at EasyJet's T&Cs and you should be OK. They are a bit confusing - but you are better just having a ski bag that can weigh up to 32Kg.
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage

Also, take a look at this post here:
http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/212012-easyjet-ski-carriage-my-attempt-at-beating-the-system/

Swiss Air also offer free ski carriage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

chriscy99, Monarch are doing free ski carriage at the moment (if you book before the end of the year). Lufthansa also do free ski carriage. With charter flights your luggage is included and it's usually £30 return for your skis. Shop around. The 'cheap' airlines are often not cheap when you add it all up.

Thanks, my problem is that I'd like to fly from Birmingham, supposedly the country's second city, however many winter flights operators don't use the BHX-GVA route on 23 Dec.

Quote:

chriscy99: you're not really in the right section of the forum for this question - you might move it for better replies.

Sorry, my apologies, I'm new here and not sure where to post it though I did look.
Quote:

Swiss Air also offer free ski carriage.

Yes, sadly not from Birmingham - Geneva...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Monarch are doing free ski carriage at the moment

OK next task..

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips, it's appreciated.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately as far as I know easyjet are then only airline who offer this route direct at a reasonable price so if you can only fly from Birmingham then it'll still work out cheapest to pay their luggage/ski/boot prices.

A cheaper alternative would be to get a coach or train to Heathrow and fly from there but it takes longer. Coaches are around £15 and take about 2hr and then a flight from Heatrow - Geneva with swiss air is £140 return including luggage and skis.

Happy planning!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good advice to check all the extras. This season I am flying Swiss from Heathrow because by the time you add the skis & baggage the "cheap" airlines arent! Beware too of the hand luggage rules, easyjet for example work on size not weight & so you can get a pair of ski boots and all your heavy non liquid items in your hand luggage if your case is heavy but others can limit your hand luggage by size and weight. Ryanair's first hold luggage price is for 15K & you pay even more to carry 20K!
My bargain of the year was also Birmingham Monarch to Venice MP for £64 return inc skis. this is OK for the Dolomites. Most of my guests have already booked into Geneva for this season for our Courchevel & La Plagne trips but if Monarch show their hand early for 2014 it might be worth using Grenoble much more??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I dont understand why people just dont put there ski boots in there main bags.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used easyjet last month and the £27 is for skis and boots one way. Where you have to be careful if you add another hold bag, as you are still only allowed a max of 20kgs fr both bags. I found this out the hard way. I think the flight was 40 quid and the charge for bagage was 220. if BA had have been flying to Innsbruck it would have probably been cheaper to fly business class with them. My own fault though, did not read the info properly!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the relies. As I can't seem to get any flights from Brum for under £250 return, I'm probably just going to have to go with Crystal/Thomson (TUI) or Neilson (If still in business as owned by TC) in a last minute chalet and pay the under occs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm flying easyjet in Jan. My holiday company booked the flight but they told me that its £54 ski carriage. For that I get one hold bag (20kg) one ski bag (12kg) and they advised me to take my boot bag as my hand luggage (as long as it fits in their 'box' at check in) Have read somewhere else, though, that as long as the combined wieght is under 12kg they will take ski boots and skis seperately for the one fee.... I'm thinking of taking boot bag as hand luggage and packing my clothes around skis and boots. That way I have the leeway if my boot bag is too big for hand luggage... but i am only going for 3 days, so not packing loads...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big roller ski bag, skis, boots and other clobber in that, I can manage to cram in my and my 8 year old daughters stuff one bag and be well under 32kg. Helmet and bits you don't trust the bag chuckers with in the hand luggage and all sorted with only one sports equipment charge. Though if you are travelling with other people do separate bookings as even booking two ski bags on the same booking still only gets you 32kg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoMonkey, To get that you'd have to have a hold bag and a ski bag booked. Oh and I did spot somewhere on Easyjet that they don't allow ski boots in hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I dont understand why people just dont put there ski boots in there main bags

I don't either. Given that you can wear your ski jacket, why would anyone need more than 20 kgs of stuff, including ski boots, for one week's holiday? I flew to Geneva in October with ski boots in a rucksack which weighed a fair bit less than 20 kgs (I'd struggle to carry a rucksack weighing 20 kgs and I had to walk to my local station and get a train to Gatwick so I didn't want to knacker myself before the holiday started).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy