Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how do you survive in lift queues?

Poster: A snowHead
hi i`m wondering how everyone else copes with the pushing and shoving and generally un-british way of queuing that occurs
in european lift queues?(mainly skiers as we only have one foot and have to do that awkward shuffle)
time and time again i`ve had impatient skiers cut sideways across my board(annoying)javascript:emoticon('rolling eyes')
Boarded skiers shuffling their skiers back and forth constantly into my board(very annoying)javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Complete idiots that pole across and scratch my lovely board from tip to tail(will make me loose my temper)javascript:emoticon('Mad')
I know this happens as most skiers rent their equipment and couldnt give a monkeys but most boarders own their own gear
so try to look after it.
I try and keep to the very edge of the queue ,make my-self as wide as possible and dont let anyone push in front of me
Ive been hit on the head with ski poles by a french lady for not moving forward 30 centimeters immediately,(resulted in me unbuckling,grabbing her pole and making a nice banana)
been jabbed in the back with ski poles for the same thing and generally pushed past.
Italy was the worst,france can be bad,doesnt happen in canada at all and if you try to push in your kicked to the back of the queue
is it just me expecting to much for people to happily wait for the next lift without getting my board ruined?
.......probably
ok rant over, but remember if you see a boarder in the queue and he doesnt immediately close up that 6inch gap infront of him it doesnt mean you can fit in it instead!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

is it just me expecting to much for people to happily wait for the next lift without getting my board ruined?

yes, probably, unfortunately.

Welcome to SHs. snowHead

My answer to your question is that I generally succeed in avoiding them. Steer clear of the school holidays (all of them, not just British ones) and the big ski factory resorts.

I am a skier, almost always - only board occasionally, and only at quiet times with good snow. But I carry my board, then chuck it down at the last minute. Flow bindings make that easy, though I know they are widely despised! I've occasionally wondered why more boarders don't do that, given the awkward way boards flop around in queues.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh look, it's basically this thread again.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1496730
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rule 5 Razz

and ime, the rule of 'polite' british queueing is a myth in anywhere that there's not an established cordon... Have you ever tried to get served in a pub?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what's a lift queue?

+1pam w,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
daverutt1,Ski in Canada lift Q's do not exsist Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I love lift queues.

Especially after a load of beer, red wine and a high fibre meal the night before Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Either avoid them by picking your lifts/times carefully, or go to Canada.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ski in Canada lift Q's do not exsist

these pictures are all forgeries... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=859105&highlight=whistler+queue+picture#859105

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 29-11-12 13:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fattes13 wrote:
daverutt1,Ski in Canada lift Q's do not exsist Laughing

Wish that were true... I've been in some big queues in Whistler, but they've almost always been orderly, friendly and swift-moving.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, ajrduff, Whistler is an exception to prove the rule.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski in resorts that don't have them!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fattes13 wrote:
pam w, ajrduff, Whistler is an exception to prove the rule.

& Fernie when Whitepass on lockdown (everyone mobs Bear), & Red on a holiday powder day & KH when the ganjala is on a go slow etc etc. Everywhere can get queues if it's a busy day and conditions or mechanicals dictate a crucial piece of the uplifit isn't running at capacity. Whistler however just doesn't have enough capacity in certain areas of the mountain at certain times.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

time and time again i`ve had impatient skiers cut sideways across my board

Quote:

skiers shuffling their skiers back and forth constantly into my board

Quote:

Complete idiots that pole across and scratch my lovely board from tip to tail

You've never had a snowboarder rally over your tray? Weird, regardless of whether I'm boarding or skiing, I seem to suffer inconsiderate ass clowns from both camps whilst in lift Q's. Tis not just the skiers that are to blame, innit.
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tell them to Be Nice please! off in as many languages as I can muster.
snow conditions
Quote:

You've never had a snowboarder rally over your tray? Weird, regardless of whether I'm boarding or skiing, I seem to suffer inconsiderate ass clowns from both camps whilst in lift Q's. Tis not just the skiers that are to blame, innit.

True!

Quote:

i`m wondering how everyone else copes with the pushing and shoving and generally un-british way of queuing that occurs
in european lift queues?

I basically join them. Shuffle forward immediately. Make yourself big, block with your other foot. Shout at anyone who touches the top of your board with their pole or board & give evils to anyone who looks like they might be about to do so.

Although it's been a while since I was in any serious sort of lift queue. Was quite bad in Avoriaz trying to uplift at the start of the day when Morzine was out of action due to rain. I also remember it being quite bad in Val D. However I cut my teeth learning to ski at Sheffield Ski village with about 40 of my school compatriots plus other schools on a Friday evening. Now that teaches you about sharp elbows!
snow report
I just flail wildly with one foot attached to my board as I shifty along. Usually clears a wide enough arc Smile
ski holidays
A SH who lives in North America wrote the following about skiing in Europea:

Quote:
All those talk of pushing and shoving that's all over this board, well, I haven't experienced it (except once about 20 years ago)! I had, on the other hand, WAITED (no pushing though) in queues for 3/4 hr at the tram of Jackson Hole! The one and only time I got "bowled over" by a snowboarder was in Breckenridge!!!

Somehow, you two managed to ski US when it's quiet and I managed to ski Europe when it's quiet! I suspect it's simply because we all purposely avoided any period of time that's busy when we planned our ski across the pond, whilst we're not equally choosy when skiing in our own normal "domain".

Forward planning about when and where to go on holiday - and even what routes to take on a particular day - can avoid a lot of queues. But when there are long queues, I don't know why boarders don't take the precious things off. If you walk behind a boarder walking with only the front foot in (as in a lift queue) it's obvious that they take up a huge amount of room.

Quote:

resulted in me unbuckling,grabbing her pole and making a nice banana

Brits can behave badly in queues too - that's hardly how to set a good example. rolling eyes I ski almost entirely in France and in a place where there are few skiers other than French ones. The queues (which only happen at key points during the school holidays) are generally pretty well behaved, except during the Paris holidays.
latest report
It's a culture difference.
Queuing is a very British thing. Even at the pub bar there's a horizontal queue (i.e. you don't know the order of the people in front of you but you know who is in front of you and any one who sits/stands at the bar after you is in the queue behind you).

In central Europe light contact to indicate you want to get past is the norm. The British equivalent is saying something like "excuse me may I get past".

Standing there leaving a space generally means "I'm not that bothered about moving quickly with the queue, feel free to go ahead if you are in a rush".

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-11-12 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB wrote:
In central Europe light contact to indicate you want to get past is the norm.

In cars as well as in person.
latest report
I hate it when the dozy boarder does not move with the rest of the queue and make a point of squeezing in, and if I can get my economy rental skis on his board somuch the better.

Teach him to not pay attention, probably on weed anyway.
snow report
What lift queues?
We managed to ski all over 3V, third week of March last year and ski straight into 95% of the lifts. Others had 20 seconds wait Wink
Only time we had to queue was Cime Caron - 20min, Caron - 5min, Funitel Peclet - 5-8min, Mont Vallon - 5min.
Gondolas from Mottaret 5-10min in the morning - oh wait, that's only as we were there before opening time Toofy Grin
latest report
Always take the outside edge of the curve, it moves faster, it's a physics thing
Relax, queue rage is much the same as road rage and does no one any good.
That's what I always try to tell myself, but it doesn't always work.
ski holidays
Quote:

We managed to ski all over 3V, third week of March last year and ski straight into 95% of the lifts

exactly. The week before would have been a different story. Careful planning!
ski holidays
get ski poles, you can challenge offenders to a duel

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I've heard tell of people glueing beer bottle tops upside down onto the ends of theirs skis and boards to discourage this Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:
DB wrote:
In central Europe light contact to indicate you want to get past is the norm.

In cars as well as in person.

Yes, in Paris parking your car is a full contact sport.
latest report
The thing that gets my goat is seeing chairs half empty disappearing up the mountain, while the queue gets ever longer.

Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Chris Wood741"]The thing that gets my goat is seeing chairs half empty disappearing up the mountain, while the queue gets ever longer.

Quite agree. Why do so many resorts not have single lines? rolling eyes
snow conditions
I was in France a few years ago with my brand new set of Rossi's.... (yeah well whatever!) Anyway we were in the queue for the first uplift of the day, there was no real lead-in to the lift just a slab of people about 50 feet square mostly French..we were right in the middle of this when... instead of going around us a blader cut straight through the middle of us all- skiing right over the tips and tails of everyones skis including mine, nobody batted an eyelid as they were all on rentals and wondered why I was shouting at him!
snow conditions
Quote:

I know this happens as most skiers rent their equipment and couldnt give a monkeys but most boarders own their own gear
so try to look after it.

Where do you get this statistic from? It appears that you see a greater proportion of boarders in the rental shops than you do on the slopes.
latest report
johnE, Fairly true IME largely because rental snowboard gear tends to be utter fumble - idiot bumpers anyone?
latest report
johnE, no one rents their boards. Most people rent skis. Fact.
latest report
Added to the fact that a beginners board/boots/binding setup is quite cheap in comparison to a skiers setup.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
johnE, Fairly true IME largely because rental snowboard gear tends to be utter fumble - idiot bumpers anyone?

I guess you're riding in the wrong part of the world, although I've been around a bit and that's not at all been my experience. I would guess that perhaps if you get your gear through a tour operator as part of a herd that could be so (I do not know), but if you're paying, it's your choice. Perhaps you mean: "the good stuff costs more than I wanted to pay", which is a different argument.

In North America at least it's no challenge to rent anything you want. Sure, the good stuff will cost a bit more than the beginner kit, but that's no surprise, is it?

I'm looking forward to riding all this season's powder boards in December. I'm not sure which I'll start with, but each will be a pristine well prepared board that I paid nothing to transport or service, and they're all rentals. I could use my own boards (I've no shortage), but why would I want to bother lugging them about, getting them serviced, all that stuff...
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote:
johnE, no one rents their boards. Most people rent skis. Fact.

Isn't that just a colour thing though? Problems with trying to match a rental board with your outfit....
latest report
Quote:

no one rents their boards

Polemic, in the spirit of the thread, but clearly not fact at all!
snow report
Mr Piehole,
Quote:

guess you're riding in the wrong part of the world, although I've been around a bit and that's not at all been my experience. I would guess that perhaps if you get your gear through a tour operator as part of a herd that could be so (I do not know), but if you're paying, it's your choice. Perhaps you mean: "the good stuff costs more than I wanted to pay", which is a different argument.

In North America at least it's no challenge to rent anything you want. Sure, the good stuff will cost a bit more than the beginner kit, but that's no surprise, is it?

I'm looking forward to riding all this season's powder boards in December. I'm not sure which I'll start with, but each will be a pristine well prepared board that I paid nothing to transport or service, and they're all rentals. I could use my own boards (I've no shortage), but why would I want to bother lugging them about, getting them serviced, all that stuff...

De ja Be Nice please! vu?

Quote:

Isn't that just a colour thing though? Problems with trying to match a rental board with your outfit....

I now, nightmare.

pam w, I had to google polemic, so for that you get a NehNeh

Nah, seriously, in Europe not many people hire boards after week 2 or 3 on snow. Partly as a LOT of hire boards are crappy, snowboards aren't mega expensive, and its a lot cooler to have your own matchy matchy / clashy clashy one. My boyfriend was trying to hire a good board when we were in ADH and it was neigh on impossible, ended up with a decent board but way too small.
snow conditions
Oh, we get a Be Nice please! smiley if we swear? Is that new??
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote:
Oh, we get a smiley if we swear? Is that new??

Not sure if it's new but I've used that smiley for lots of other occasions...whoops!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy