Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Men's GS Face de Belvarde

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Men's GS Face de Belvarde
1st Hirshe (Aus), 2nd Louitz, 3rd Ligeti.

Loitz (Ger) who has never been anywhere near a World Cup podium before, skied early on the second run and led for ages as the course cut up quickly and nobody could ski it as fast.

Rather soft snow this weekend, but the commentator on British Eurosport kept referring to their struggling with the new 35m radius skis. Is this linked somehow to the new ski length? There did seem to be a lot of juddering sideways in the turns rather than smooth carving. I expect this has been discussed before but is this a new rule this season or what? I hadn't watched any of the races this season before this Friday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unlucky Pinturault...
He'll learn.. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kruisler wrote:
Unlucky Pinturault...
He'll learn.. Very Happy
Wow yes, if he hadn't missed the gate a few yards from the finish he would have won.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I expect this has been discussed before but is this a new rule this season or what?

Yup, its new rule this season. They went I think from 27m radius to 35m radius. There has been a lot pf press discussion and comment about it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea wrote:

Yup, its new rule this season. They went I think from 27m radius to 35m radius. There has been a lot pf press discussion and comment about it.

But why? It seems to be an unnatural shape for the discipline, judging from the (relatively) ugly results.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
judging from the (relatively) ugly results.

Does this look any better?

http://youtube.com/v/HGScURLth80

Thing is, that Face de Bellevarde is anything but easy course, and there's really not much difference between 2010 and 2012 race if you look it. In video above, Ted made maybe 3 or 4 nice clean turns, everything else was anything but great looking. So it's not that much difference because of skis, and both runs (2010 and 2012) look like sh**t. But that's dictated by course. So they are always struggling there, no matter what kinda skis they get, and 1+m of fresh snow just 2 days ago, didn't make things easier either Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I'd say that footage from '10 does look a lot better than that of '12. The turns are a lot cleanly with a lot more carved action happening. This years footage showed a lot of racers actually getting the skis off the ground at the beginning of the turn as they made large pivoting actions at the beginning of the turn to try to get the ski onto an edge and carve the latter part of the turn. The ski is having to work further from it's natural turning arc so they have to 'chop' the top of the arc off to get to carry speed in the latter part.

Granted bellevarde is steep for a GS course and over quite a lot of its length too, so there is less difference between the new and the old skis. On the shorter arc radius skis of old they have to chop the top of the turn a bit in places but not nearly as much as with the new skis. And on more moderate gradient courses the difference between how the new skis ski compared to the old would be even easier to see.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy