Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coaches and Rebecca Adlington...

Poster: A snowHead
... I noticed on the BBC and Radio today, interviews being done about Rebecca Adlingtons concerns over the coaching of GB Swimmers. I listened to another interview this morning in response to this 'outburst' from a boxing coach and what coaching means to our Athletes and how good it is.

It crossed my mind that Swimming is quiet a minority sport in this country like Skiing. With the Olympics still in peoples minds, would it be beneficial for the likes of some of our top skiers to talk similarly to the media about the state of our coaching and financial aspects... so that the public understand. I feel most think our skiers are from rich backgrounds and that coaching and money is freely available and funded by GB.

Any thought....?

For those who know nothing about it... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/swimming/20592434
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At least swimmers have some medals to show for it, maybe the alpine skiing world would have been different but for Baxter's Sinex, but I don't think bleating in the media will do a lot for funding. Maybe freestyle of both skiing and snowboarding will breakthrough with Woodsy & Jenny Jones in Sochi.

& I wouldn't say swimming is a minority sport - we all knew kids at school who were heavily into it (as they usually swept school swimming galas) & most towns have at least one swim club. I couldn't say the same for ski racing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or cross country with Muzzy and AY, Muzzy is scoring points in the world cup, AY's not far off and we have a few more skiers on the fringe of qualifying standard. It wouldn't take much for Muzzy to pull off a top 10 in the world cup or this years world champs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I wouldn't say swimming is a minority sport

I wouldn't either. The local swimming pools have loads of clubs and kids of all ages being coached. And almost all kids have swimming as part of the curriculum (or did till the latest round of cuts....) just like kids in the Alps have skiing on a Wednesday afternoon. My five grandchildren (from 8 months to 9 years) all have swimming lessons and my daughter in law is an ASA swimming coach. Swimming is an ideal sport for our country, infrastructure, climate. Skiing isn't.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say swimming is a minority sport

I wouldn't either. The local swimming pools have loads of clubs and kids of all ages being coached. And almost all kids have swimming as part of the curriculum (or did till the latest round of cuts....) just like kids in the Alps have skiing on a Wednesday afternoon. My five grandchildren (from 8 months to 9 years) all have swimming lessons and my daughter in law is an ASA swimming coach. Swimming is an ideal sport for our country, infrastructure, climate. Skiing isn't.

^ This.

And there are plenty of sports in this country which are more 'minority' and receive a lot less funding (i.e. none) than skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually xc requires very little infrastructure - you can start out on roller skis to get the basics and train and race in the summer, then its just some snow time to hone the technique on snow as you can pick up bad habits just on rollers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, I enjoyed a wonderful XC competition weekend in Les Saisies last year, with hordes of kids of all ages, doing a range of races, all from local clubs. It was great to see. It would be even better to see hordes of British kids doing the same. But how many of our kids live within easy reach of some snow to train on? And, more important, friends who do the same stuff at weekends and who like to talk about their times etc. Swimming is like that in this country.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No way is swimming a minority sport. But I agree that a lot of people probably think that most skiers are posh.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well that went well... Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spud, Laughing worth a try.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a lot of people probably think that most skiers are posh.....

A lot of people can be wrong Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dobby wrote:
...a lot of people probably think that most skiers are posh.....

Obviously they've never met the average Snowhead... Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
spud, Laughing worth a try.....
Well i thought it was, but i'm obviously barking up the wrong tree Laughing

As for Posh... you can be posh and not have loads of money.

There are just as many Chavs with bags of money... see most Pro footballers.

Or does 'Posh' mean rich these days?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
dobby wrote:
...a lot of people probably think that most skiers are posh.....

Obviously they've never met the average Snowhead... Toofy Grin

There's no such thing as an average snowHead wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w,

You can up here in Scotland we run a series of roller ski races over the summer with a good turn out of juniors and winter races on snow (weather permitting) though the junior turn out is a bit lower as many are skiing at european races.
This is a link to a report on our club championship:
http://www.nordicski.co.uk/wordpress/?p=2126

Overall we ran a 10 race GB series with races across the UK, plus additional races in both England and Scotland that didn't count towards the series.

I agree its a minority sport, but it doesn't have to be as it only requires a minimum of kit and isn't reliant on snow.
snow conditions
Ok. You can be posh and have no money or not v posh and have money. But not where I came from (small market town on notts-derby border). Let's just say a lot of people assume that skiers have tons of money.
latest report
dobby wrote:
Ok. You can be posh and have no money or not v posh and have money. But not where I came from (small market town on notts-derby border). Let's just say a lot of people assume that skiers have tons of money.

Razz Laughing Not very Posh...??? Puzzled Posh and Poor has ring to it... that should be the new name for that ski jumper company... wink Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy