Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Acquired Skiing Equipment (How much is it worth?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So I've just acquired some skis, poles, boots and gloves. I do ski myself but consider myself a beginner - aka I don't know anything about the equipment and their worth. I am planning on going skiing to Slovakia again next year and normally just rent most things.

My uncle had a clear out recently and said I could just have his skiing equipment, which he has used once and has bad knees now so won't use it. Anyway I was considering taking the skis, poles and gloves with me but the boots do not fit. Then I thought maybe it would be better for me to just sell them and rent equipment as usual. I love skiing but I'm not at the stage to have my own skis etc and it would probably cost me more to fly with them.

This is my first port of call for finding out how much these might be worth. I have listed all the info I know and photos for a better look. I understand a lot of skis are personally made (length, bindings etc) but would like to know how much I could get for these and where I could sell them. As I said, all used once and look like new. Thanks

Skis - Salomon Verse 10 - Length: 160cm. Monocoque, R: 16 SC: 104 71 94 (Readings by your ankle are S 7 10)
Poles - Salomon (Will have to check their length)
Gloves - I will probably keep
Boots - Cockpit - Soft - Size 8.5. Rebound Fit.

https://goo.gl/photos/yPMx3qCfMPqSgB8A6
https://goo.gl/photos/7JuTbVeHEMAfCBu36
https://goo.gl/photos/e7dpVpGEjnc4yfJZA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Anaflactic, the skis certainly are of 2002 ish vintage and despite being barely used are very dated. The bindings may no longer be something that a shop would adjust for insurance reasons.

So value? Not very much at all, I am afraid, in the 10s of £s if anything, I would think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The skis would be ok nailed to the wall of a drinking den and maybe plant some dwarf Nordic firs in the boots. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A shop may refuse to fit boots of that vintage as well. Had this happen with my wife's Salmon SX80(?)s last year at sport Conrad. Much to her disgust!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for such quick replies! What a shame though as they look so nice. So basically even if I rented some boots and wanted to take the skis on holiday, I still won't be able to use them both together/comfortably.

And do boots really get dated? Surely someone who could fit in that size boot, could use them with a different pair of skis? Or is that not how it works. Sorry for sounding so much like an amateur ha!

There is an indoor ski slope/shop not too far from me so maybe I will take it in and see if they refuse it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Back in the day, these were good skis. If the boots fit you (properly), I would expect that you will have lot of fun on them. I would check the price of carrying them with you and if economical vs hiring, get the skis and boots set up in the UK (Service will be about £20 depending on where you take them) and go for it. Looking at the boots, I seriously doubt they will not let you use them as there is no wear to cause fitting issues, which would be the main reason for refusing to fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd be careful about getting them checked at a snowdome, I'm not sure if they'd be qualified (nor insured) to comment on the status, you'd be better off taking them to a shop if you have one nearby. Having said that most snowdomes do have ski shops in the dome so that would be the ideal place to go. Snow and rock for instance at Hemel.

So you could get S&R to confirm bindings are OK to use with current boots and then get the snowdome team to give you rental boots to go in them.

Good luck, hope you get to use them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Anaflactic,

Poles, no problem if they're right length (google sizing)

Gloves, same.

Skis, if the bases are in decent shape, they were not top of the range, but should do you fine. If the bindings are out of indemnification (shop won't touch) you may be able to find cheap bindings.

Boots, probably won't fit.

So you may yet get some use.

Just bear in mind costs of transport to and from Slovenia (if any).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
As I said, all used once and look like new.

If as new personally I would be looking to use it.

Poles and gloves clearly no risk.

According to Salomon's archives the Verse 10 had models for 2002, 2003 and 2004. You should be able to check which by looking at the topsheet and matching http://en.salomonarchive.com/model/verse.php

Either way 12 to 14 years old isn't that old. Certainly you will see plenty of older folk, stingy barstewards, occasional skiers on kit of the same or in many cases older vintage. In fact thinking about it my missus (ski's two weeks a year) is on ski's of a similar age (Rossignol Bandit XX). She isn't even that old but is quite stingy. I can't see service shops having an issue personally. They usually do adjustments for free anyhow. If they have been stored in a dry place then I wouldn't have thought the materials will have deteriorated too much. Same for the bindings, although maybe they will be a bit stiff after a long time without yes. Maybe try and losing them up with the boots before you ship those on. If they (the boots) don't fit you may aswell just sell them on ebay or here for what you can.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Keep the skis - until they and you can fast carve on reds, they are quite forgiving. Bin the boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Anaflactic, The discussion of renting vs owning has been done to death elsewhere. I think the general conclusion was that for a 1-2 week p.a. skier it doesn't make much financial sense to own, depending upon where you plan to ski and how you will get there. If you are owning skis but still renting boots it might make even less sense. On of the big advantages to owning is not messing around with hire shops.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Anaflactic, The discussion of renting vs owning has been done to death elsewhere. I think the general conclusion was that for a 1-2 week p.a. skier it doesn't make much financial sense to own, depending upon where you plan to ski and how you will get there. If you are owning skis but still renting boots it might make even less sense. On of the big advantages to owning is not messing around with hire shops.

Sure but that is usually in the context you have to buy the skis and are not given a pair.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy