Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Local Taxes ITALY

Poster: A snowHead
Just had an e-mail from Crystal that local taxes have to be paid at the hotel on arrival and they are between .75 and 3 euro's a night. Another firm is picking up that cost but Crystal are passing it straight on and cannot say how much it is for definite, If you are thinking of booking Italy beware might not be as good value as you first thought!
Does anyone know how long this tax has been known about as feeling a little conned at the moment.
Can't seem to find this on the forum but everyone needs to know!
Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Resort is Sauze D'Oulxbut hear it is most of them!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All the resorts that I know have tourist taxes but usually the accommodation or tour operators pay them!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Switzerland has had tourist taxes for as long as I've been going, it's included in the hotel bill and whenever I've gone with a tour company it has been included in the prices, seems to me that Crystal may be trying to claw back a bit of extra profit Evil or Very Mad

In Switzerland I think it is supposed to help pay for additional costs to local infrastructure above and beyond what would be required by just the locals and certainly in the mountains is higher in the winter than the summer
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
from the Crystal websited (today) -- What is included in your holiday

"...Air holidays
Return air flights and transfers (coach, train, taxi or rental free car hire in some USA/Canada resorts) to and from your resort
Flight baggage allowance usually 44lbs (20kgs) but 15kgs on selected routes. See Travel information.
Accommodation and meals as per your booking
Help & advice from your resort rep or agent
All local taxes, VAT, UK & overseas service charges, & bed linen
All current airport taxes are included in our prices including the Air Travel Duty...."

On that basis, you could try calling their bluff.....

however, for rail and self drive hols it says something like "local taxes, unless advides otherwise"

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 7-12-12 17:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given that you received an email, I can't help wondering if it is a scam? Rather than a legit email from Crystal?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No it is legit have e-mailed crystal. Who say they are not responsible for paying it though Allbob thanks will look into what you have posted.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure Neilson are still absorbing the tourist tax.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ob1 -- the info I gave in my post in on this page

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/our-policies/terms-and-conditions/important-info/

there may be another clause somewhere on there that says something like -- "we reserve the right to increase the price of your holiday..........." Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those extra ~5 Euros a week per person must be terrible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's those sort of extra fees that stop me buying full avy kit you know Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep l, I am off to gressoney in jan. and also got an email from crystal saying due to circumstances beyound our control Yada Yada there is a local tax to pay by us direct to the hotel on arrival. It's not the value-amounts that sticks in my throat.

It's the fact that the email came through a few weeks after the balance for hol had been payed in full. And during booking I did not see any info that sayed * please note Italy has a local tourist tax payable by yourselves on arrival*

It was the fact that no prior warning was given, so it felt like a hidden charge
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had been considering possibly giving a second chance and going with Crystal them when the kids were a bit older. Thanks for the heads up on this, as silly tricks like this mean I won't be giving them a second chance to redeem themselves after our holiday with them in Zermat
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there may be another clause somewhere on there that says something like -- "we reserve the right to increase the price of your holiday..........."

This is normally only in case of big jumps in exchange rates, or large hikes in fuel duty, etc.

The local tax should have been covered by the tour-op. I would refuse to pay it.

If booking and paying the hotel directly, then the local tax will either be added on as an extra (had this in Switzerland), or included in the total price paid but itemised on the bill (had this in Slovenia - only €0.99 though which is a strange amount)

edit: is it a new local tax, perhaps? Just looked at my business receipts, and all the ones for Frascati have no local tax, but the ones for Rome do. Still think they'd absorb it though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy, I suspect it is a new tax, and at up to 5 euros per person per night, 35€ per week for each skier may add up to a significant amount.

http://blog.dolcevitavillas.com/regions/sardinia/italian-tourist-tax-2012/
snow report
Depthjunkie

I would have thought that once you have paid your final bill they cant increase it !!! -- I would be inclined to refuse to pay and see what they say.........
latest report
just had another look at the Crystal info page and found this Sad Sad

"......Crystal prices do not include:

Meals and accommodation en route (except where specified)
In-flight catering on some short haul flights
Airport holiday supplement, where applicable
Ski travel insurance (which you must have, see web)
Carriage of skis and snowboards on charter flights (included on some scheduled flights)
Porterage of luggage at any stage
Breakdown Insurance (Self-Drive)
CDW or local taxes on car hire
Any services provided locally that are advertised as being available at the booked resort or accommodation, but not described as free of charge e.g. child care/ski school, hotel facilities.
Any local gratuities, taxes charged by hotels/condos in USA/Canada
Credit card fees.
ITALIAN TOURIST TAX.........." Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
albob, Sad
snow report
Albob

They did not put the price up after paying. Just an email after the event notifying you of the tourist tax you have to pay in resort to the hotel direct. I don't mind paying, it's just I feel it would have been nice to have been made aware about the tax whilst booking online. As I have never been to Italy before I was not aware of the tourist tax, it would not have stopped me booking but I would have felt better about it rather than finding out at a later date.

Maybe it was stated online somewhere whilst booking but
I did not see it, so my attention certainly was not drawn to it.
ski holidays
same applied to us we are off to sauxe, but in fairness to us the Crystal guy made it clear this was a new tax, and would need to be paid. Party of 4 it means i may have to forgo one beer a night Twisted Evil
ski holidays
It seems the Tax was brought in by the Government during 2011 for major cities, spreading gradually to the rest of the country. The Crystal brouchure doesn't mention the Tourist Tax, so it must be a recent change by Tui (crystal/thomsons etc). I'm going with Neilson, so no Tax Smile

But you are right, it need more promenance on the website - not hidden away........
latest report
White gold... If it was 5 euros prob would not be an issue but it was stated 75 cents to 3 euros per night per person, I'm paying for a family so yes it has an impact. They have now confirmed 1 euro a night, So it is not the biggest deal, my issue has been if they knew about this they should have clearly advertised it on their website in reality when your looking for a good deal (and one does not exist over the new year!) Every extra is one less hot chocoalte on the slopes!
Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

They have now confirmed 1 euro a night

that is what was itemised on my last hotel in Rome (pretty decent business class hotel). I'd have been concerned if it were much more. I'm guessing that Frascati hasn't introduced the tax yet, and presumably comes under a different local area, despite being so close to Rome.

Spose Italy needs all the help it can get economically.
snow report
I've had this email from Crystal too - wasn't impressed, especially if it turns out to be at the upper end of the scale as we're a family going - that's going to put a hefty dent in our holiday spending money Sad
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Those extra ~5 Euros a week per person must be terrible.

I spoke to the managing Director of a British Tour operator last year who was trying to make an additional €5 per client. He said this would give them a good profit instead of just better than break even.
snow report
stewart woodward, it's amazing how a small amount can make a lot of difference.
ski holidays
I did a 'test' purchase on the Thomson ski site earlier (one week, mid march, Sauze) and the site does mention Tourist Tax being paid to hotel , but only after you
have chosen your hotel/flights/ski pack and entered customer details etc - sneaky........
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy