Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed - Front of ski slapping

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have a set of Scott Punishers from 2010. I have been on them for a few trips but have never really got comfortable with them. The main reason being that I seem to get the front of the ski slapping whilst at speed. Last year on my trip away I just rented a set as I was not happy with them. I am going away for the season this year so want to get them right or buy a new set!

Any advice?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thamestrout, I presume you mean it slaps while on piste. Not surprising as the Punisher is a Rocker off-piste ski which means the tip and tail tend not to touch the piste. Flap like mad on hardpack, but great for slipping sideways, riding switch or powder. Not great for carving great turns on hardpacked piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah you are correct - I knew thats what they were for but did not expect that much slap! Would moving the bindings forward help do you think?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thamestrout,

Moving the Bindings forward would probably upset the skis performance offpiste.

What percentage, piste v off piste skiing so you do?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thamestrout, I couldnt answer that question, but suspect that would be BAD! The ski will always flap on piste as it is a rocker as opposed to a conventional camber ski. Try and ski with it on an edge, doing giant turns, rather than blasting straight down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess its 70% on piste 30%off . Might just buy another set as I had kind of got into that mind set for the piste and bring out these on Powder days.

Thanks for replying !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Advice needed - Front of ski slapping:

Buy new stiffer skis!! As if you needed the excuse!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
glp9 wrote:
Advice needed - Front of ski slapping:

Buy new stiffer skis!! As if you needed the excuse!

Well..... LOL
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thamestrout,

The trick is to never buy a pair of skis for the terrain you ski most then you always have a "reason" to buy more skis. Fortunately ski companies know this and so advertise the skis differently (e.g. all mountain, never mind the width (130mm waist) its great on piste). This avoids the embarrasing silence when our other halves ask "why did you buy that big fat wide plank with curly ends for skiing on the piste you poncy freeriding rad wannabe turkey?".

... but don't worry you have found the right place here. You can keep coming back and asking us about advice on what skis to buy. We will however mostly tell you to buy the same ski we use (so as not to hurt our own ego).

We also do cars, can we interest you in a Land Rover with winter tyres and a helmet?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 3-12-12 15:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haha made me laugh - Im ok thanks !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thamestrout, I have a nice stiff WC 188 GS ski which will not flap about and is ideal for all off-piste just like we used to ski 200cm+blah blah and will burn off the wide foot off-piste cheaters on the way home I guarantee.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Not surprising as the Punisher is a Rocker off-piste ski

Well, sorry it's just not...the 2010 model is around 89mm under foot, all mountain park ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the_doc wrote:
all mountain park ski.
Puzzled Is there also an all park mountain ski?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:
Quote:

Not surprising as the Punisher is a Rocker off-piste ski

Well, sorry it's just not...the 2010 model is around 89mm under foot, all mountain park ski.
In that case... perhaps your skis are broken wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe they are like my eBay k2 explorer's from last year, they are fine if I put the one with slightly more rocker on my right foot Happy
latest report
The Punisher from that year is not rockered, is pretty soft, and is an all mountain ski (^^ as above, 89mm underfoot). Good hangover day ski, it's fun and cruisy, but it's always gonna flap at speed.

This year's Punisher has been updated, is now a rockered (also all mountain) ski, 108mm underfoot, considerably stiffer and looks much more capable.

Sounds like you need a stiffer ski, whether it's the new Punisher or something else.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
The Punisher from that year is not rockered, is pretty soft, and is an all mountain ski (^^ as above, 89mm underfoot). Good hangover day ski, it's fun and cruisy, but it's always gonna flap at speed.

This year's Punisher has been updated, is now a rockered (also all mountain) ski, 108mm underfoot, considerably stiffer and looks much more capable.

Sounds like you need a stiffer ski, whether it's the new Punisher or something else.

Thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy