Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catering course chalet work

Poster: A snowHead
I do recall reading about a course designed for young people wanting chalet work in ski resorts. Anybody know of such a thing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look on Natives.co.uk

http://www.natives.co.uk/courses/cookery-courses-for-chalets-in-the-uk-and-alps/3977
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks anyone the take up rate having completed such a course?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Increase your season job prospects. With many more people applying for season jobs, the Natives Chalet Cookery Course offers you a chance to stand out from the crowd. 96% of our students go on to find season jobs."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfamily2, Not cheap, and not a course but if you can stretch to one get them a thermomix TM31. Best damn kitchen appliance money can buy. I can pretty much guarantee it will give them more time off on the slopes.

And before anyone asks, no I don't sell, or resell them, nor do I have shares or get any kickbacks. It's simple we have one. It is absolutely amazing when it comes to soups and sauces, you can steam veg for 8 people easily, whilst cooking other stuff. Cake and biscuit batters are a walk in the park.

It's built like a brick outhouse....

Warning - it really isn't cheap, but it does come with a couple of hour free demonstation of it's skills and and extensive list of recipes most of which are a moments work, it's easy to clean (not quite but pretty much self cleaning).

After a week practising with this, you will have been well fed and they will probably have a repertoire of recipes and cakes to see them in good stead.

(ducks and prepares to be flamed...)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mfamily2, Probably more helpful of me to say that both my sons did cookery courses and they were beating employers off with a stick. Both had fabulous seasons.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cad99uk, Thanks my daughter is talking about it for the 2013/14 season when she will be 19.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Makes you very employable for the standard cheapy-cheap, catered by teenager on gap year type chalet.

To be honest, we don't take anyone who doesn't already have commercial cooking experience. It just makes our lives so much easier and the quality so much better!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mfamily2, Both my sons did their seasons working in "club-hotels", where they were working as part of a larger team. Fronting up a chalet on your own could be daunting at 19.

Number 2 son worked for Skiworld in Courchevel. He was treated very well and I would recommend them as an employer.

Make sure your daughter has experience working in your local pub before she applies. That probably means starting work there now as she will need to apply to TOs next May time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

mfamily2, Not cheap, and not a course but if you can stretch to one get them a thermomix TM31. Best damn kitchen appliance money can buy. I can pretty much guarantee it will give them more time off on the slopes.

That does look like it would save the chalet host loads of time. Couldn't see any prices though... How much is 'not cheap'?

I kind of want one!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depending what accessories/spare bowls etc you want with it they start for about £900..... cough, splutter. But yes it a most excellent piece of kit....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've recommended them elsewhere on snowheads, but just for completeness, these guys really know what they're doing:

http://www.orchardscookery.co.uk/our-courses/chalet-cooks--1/

It's not an insignificant amount of money but it will do wonders for job prospects. The people who run it have close relationships with quite a lot of chalet employers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cad99uk, Thanks she has a part time catering job now and that includes bar work.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mfamily2, Perfect.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Myself and my boyfriend did the Mountain Chefs Alpine Course over the summer.
http://www.mountainchefs.co.uk/

They also do a version in their cookery school in the UK, though we really liked being in the chalet. It's run by a fully qualified experienced chef who has worked in a variety of high end establishments.

We had no trouble finding work for this season, without even using the placement service that comes with the course.
snow report
mfamily2 wrote:
Thanks anyone the take up rate having completed such a course?

My 18 year old daughter did the Natives course last October. She was offered a job immediately and had a fantastic season in VT.
snow conditions
ap96 wrote:
I've recommended them elsewhere on snowheads, but just for completeness, these guys really know what they're doing:

http://www.orchardscookery.co.uk/our-courses/chalet-cooks--1/

It's not an insignificant amount of money but it will do wonders for job prospects. The people who run it have close relationships with quite a lot of chalet employers.

One of the girls I ski with at uni did this course! She said she really enjoyed her season Smile
latest report
Everyone I know who did a chalet season went with Orchards
snow conditions
The Orchards course is great. I thoughts I could cook, but would have struggled with the standard for the numbers otherwise. Also we got lots of tips on budgeting, knife skills, napkin folding etc.

Some employers do want comercial experience - the company we worked for employed professional chefs in hotels but over 21s with dinner party experience and a short course in smaller chalets.

We did the Orchards course in May, and my husband was the youngest on it aged 29. It is probably different now as they are bigger, and busier in uni holidays.

We had interviews lined up before the course, but they would have arranged some during the course if we had wanted. They were focused on France though, and we wanted Austria.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the responses, very helpful cheers.
snow report
stevomcd
Quote:
Makes you very employable for the standard cheapy-cheap, catered by teenager on gap year type chalet.....
Ooooo! Shocked Miaoooowww!! ie. The only type of chalet I've ever stayed in! And, I hasten to add, all of which have been absolutely fine.

Obviously the types of chalets frequented by we 'Get-the-free-cheap-plonk-down-yer-neck Snowhead-type oiks'.... Laughing

Quote:
'And OMG Arabella, did I tell you that I heard that some of them weren't even en-suite. Can you imagine? How absolutely frightful!'
snow report
ansta1,
Quote:

Depending what accessories/spare bowls etc you want with it they start for about £900..... cough, splutter. But yes it a most excellent piece of kit....

Ouch! That would have to save a LOT of chalet slave man-hours to payback snowHead
latest report
annaski wrote:
Myself and my boyfriend did the Mountain Chefs Alpine Course over the summer.
http://www.mountainchefs.co.uk/

They also do a version in their cookery school in the UK, though we really liked being in the chalet. It's run by a fully qualified experienced chef who has worked in a variety of high end establishments.

We had no trouble finding work for this season, without even using the placement service that comes with the course.

Fully endorse this post.

Did the course in September last year, got a job because of it.

Ended up working for them this summer out in France.
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
ansta1,
Quote:

Ouch! That would have to save a LOT of chalet slave man-hours to payback snowHead

of that there is no doubt, but as well as saving time, said user may look very good to the clients. btw you will see these in just about every pro kitchen in the world.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, didn't mean to be disparaging - we've just seen a lot of people struggling to cope on the basis of just a cooking course, so we won't take anyone that doesn't have experience. It's not just for the guest experience, it's also for the staff. Having to be in the chalet 18 hours a day to get the job done is no fun.
snow conditions
Skiworld recommend a few for people wanting to work for them

http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment/cookery-courses
ski holidays
I was a chalet host in Alpe d'Huez, learnt a few nifty tricks which are basically summarised here...

http://catering-london.weebly.com/
latest report
Another one here
http://www.cococookery.co.uk/

They will help you get your CV sorted out too..

We have a few staff from them this year. Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy