Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advise buying a board

Poster: A snowHead
I wouldnt consider myself as a beginner but defo not a pro.. but want an all round board..... dont have the money for top of the range... but dont want a crappy one either..., the hire board i use is 55/56...

I have bindings... which are K2 snow tryst.. so they need to fit

Other than that i dont have a clue where to start... advise welcome....??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watford_Chick wrote:
the hire board i use is 55/56...

Hello, lots of variables really. A few quick questions:
    Are you male or female (I presume the latter from your username!)?
    Rude, I know, but how much do you weigh?
    Do you have big feet?
    What do you want out of your riding? Cruising the groomers, riding the park, off piste and pow?
    Would you like something that is easy to ride and progress on or something perhaps a bit more challenging that you wont grow out of so quickly?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are a million and one retailers who will have wide stock and probably a good selection of sale stuff.

Many peeps will advise trying before you buy - for some that's important, for others not so... it's a personal thing. I've bought all four of my boards 'blind' and they've all be great sticks that have given me good service. Some people would say I've just been lucky... Smile

Did you find a 155/156 comfortable in terms speed etc? There are some basic sizing guides that will put your weight and height together to 'suggest' the ideal board size. This might help - http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-a-snowboard-size-chart-and-buying-guide.aspx - but there's also the 'wide' factor if you have big feet.

The type of board you go for matters - job/park boards tend to have a lot of pop in the tip and tail but flex through the middle for throwing yourself around on boxes and rails. Big mountain boards tend to be for gunning it on and off-piste so are stiffer. You'll find all-mountain boards are a ix of the two and are probably the ones that suit most average riders.

Consider the type of set-up you want.... camber, rocker, twin tip, directional... these can influence the type of board you end up with.

Places like absolutesnow, freeride, filarinskis, TSA's clearance website will all have sale boards at good prices.... if you end up going for 55/56 size boards then you'll have a really wide selection.

I've probably missed loads of advise - someone will be along to fill in the blanks Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get along to a decent shop with staff that know what they're talking about, (not always easy to tell) you'll have to use your BS detector. I got a great deal from TSA a few years ago, still going strong, though starting to outgrow the set up now, needing more stiffness (stop sniggering at the back). Big advantage at TSA is try before you buy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iam a skiier too so picked up boarding easy enough, just need to get more confident and progress into much harder routes and maybe free style... snowHead

Ive have been into a few shops and way too much info for me to take in.....

Yes i am female lol I got size 5 feet!!! i am 5'9th and i am 10stone... lol odd balance i know!!
i got boots, bindings just want board.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You might want to try a slightly shorter board, especially if you want to up your freestyle game.

In general:

Longer board = faster, less manuverable

Shorter board = easier to turn, rotate, jump, etc. but less stable at high speeds
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
how short a board are we talking? i am already tall with tiny feet lol

I want to enjoy the slope as well as free style (when i am ready)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Watford_Chick wrote:

My missus is 5' 5", just under 9st, size 5 feet... she's on a 148 K2 Mix, bit of an all-mountain/pipe board... she gets on fine with that length, even off-piste.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I appreciate all your advise... but confused.com....55/ 56 is comfortable but i want something that pushes my limits... even if i take some falls trying new things... rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bliss snowboards has a useful little snowboard selection tool.
Absolutesnow gives loads of techspec which you can browse at your leisure and a "recommend me a board" tag. In the end if you want to make an informed decision you'll have to do your homework and get informed. Look on it as all part of the fun.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robapplegate, this. My start-of-the-season guilty pleasure is going fantasy board shopping - choosing what board you'd get if you were in the market...

Watford_Chick, Don't worry about the Trysts, they'll fit pretty much anything you can buy out of the box, excluding the Burton EST/ICS boards obviously.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Watford_Chick wrote:

Here are a few possibilities for you that should hopefully help with the progression and be suitable in the park at a later date...
http://www.sputniksnowboardshop.com/women-c6/womens-snowboards-c59/k2-k2-moment-women-s-snowboard-11-12-150cm-p164
http://www.sputniksnowboardshop.com/women-c6/womens-snowboards-c59/snowboards-women-k2-k2-skylite52-blk-snowboard-p4576
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/products/feather-1112/1534

If you are based in Watford you have the luxury of being close enough to Milton Keynes or Hemel to go along and take advantage of the try before you buy offers that TSA and Slush and Rubble do. I must confess I have bought all my previous boards without testing them, but if you are within spitting distance then it has to be worth it to see how different things feel for you.

MK:
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/stores/milton-keynes/
Hemel:
http://www.snowandrock.com/terms-and-conditions/content/fcp-content#demo-pool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, At least those fantasy boards we buy don't empty the bank.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watford_Chick, look for last season's high quality board from one of the big names. Just about ALL low and mid range kit is churned out in the far east with just differing topsheets. There are a few exceptions but last year's high end board will cost the same as a new mid range and the quality does make a difference. My Rome Anthem was brand new and nearly two seasons old . . . absolute cracker, stiff, tough and beautifully made.

edit: paid $150 for a $550 retail board and it'll probably see me into ma pine box . . . some have seen how I ride Embarassed

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 5-12-12 13:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
My start-of-the-season guilty pleasure is going fantasy board shopping - choosing what board you'd get if you were in the market...

I do that on a weekly basis.
latest report
Burton Feather - easy, flattering ride
ski holidays
First off I don't think anyone can tell you what you 'need'.

As always some good advice, new but season or two old kit, try before you buy etc etc, but.............

Trying in a fridge will give you only the barest bones of the board's identity, the only way you'll come to know a board is a day or two on the hill. Be prepared to try several. Having said that, depending on where you are in the curve, what suits you today may not tomorrow, there are no crystal balls. The only place I've personally been where shops will let you take out numerous boards of the latest spec, on trial, on the understanding you buy one (or pay the rental), is Canada, but I guess there are others. So why not 'rent' several boards and do a straw poll? Because IME they're mostly junk, though again there are probably exceptions.

155/56 seems a reasonable length for you to be on.

Sorry, can't be of any more help, but don't get wrapped up too much in the tech/hype/gender thing, keep an open mind. Just don't go too soft, unless you're in the park all day.

And then there's boots, actually even more important in many ways....................... wink
ski holidays
BCjohnny,
Quote:

And then there's boots

And then of course there are also the bindings Smile
snow report
robapplegate wrote:
And then of course there are also the bindings Smile

and of course, the appropriate underwear [/letch]

Comeon! at my age I need the occasional reminder of what I've forg . . . . actually at my age stress incontinence is more an issue than priapism Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Thanks all advise it welcome..
I've been looking at boards 154/155.... just need to find last years spec or a board someone has hardly used (less than 2ys old).. and not much damage (if any)

@BCjohnny - I have boots and binding... and saggy snow pants - as noticed alot boarders have there @rses hanging out lol
-[ its not a good look for women]

@Masque. as for your incontinence pants. i am a youngen so i not gotten think of that.. but i know not to eat yellow and brown snow!!!

Shocked
latest report
Watford_Chick wrote:
Thanks all advise it welcome..
I've been looking at boards 154/155.... just need to find last years spec or a board someone has hardly used (less than 2ys old).. and not much damage (if any)

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/S/SNOWBOARDS_Forum_Santa_Cruz_Rossignol_K2_Ride_Capita_Endeavour-(27).aspx?filters=d90-12843_d154-19703

EDIT: link doesn't copy over well.

Anyway, absolute-snow has some decent women's boards in for under £200 Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-12-12 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Watford_Chick, wink your first really bad landing will teach you ALL about 'stress incontinence' Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Watford_Chick wrote:
I have boots and binding

Your boot preference will most likely change as you progress.

Quote:
[ its not a good look for women]

Oh, I don't know about that.................... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy