Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need a new board?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the first time in my adult life, my bank account has gone into the black. I'm 45, 6ft tall 13stone and I've been boarding 6 years. I can make small jumps = ride out after taking air;) and can ride most mountain conditions: and fast Toofy Grin I love my boarding: but I'll never shred a park. Edge wax and tune my own kit.

My board is an ancient Burton Custom. I reckon at least 10 years old, bought of fleabay 5 years ago. Plenty of pop left in it, edges in tact: no mechanical reason to change it.
My board tried to kill me a couple of times, I gave it a couple of years solitary in the back room, learned to ride a different, slower board, and came back to love my custom last year.

This year i'll have 3-4 weeks on the snow: Scotland, Megeve, La Mongie and possibly one more...

Would you change boards? what would you change to..and why?
Should I buy last seasons' board of fleabay, or head to TSA and try something in the fridge?
Defo I will change boots to Vans Aura: my current Encores are way too soft for me.

what you think?...ooh, and play nice chaps!

Ta,

Strax
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
X=y+1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strax, There is absolutly no reason to change your board, other than the fact that you want to, which is just exactly the same reason that most people buy new skis or board no matter what they may say...

Would I change if I were you? Yes.

If the Custom is a decade old, the world has moved on, boards are lighter and packed with toys to make your life easier. Go get yourself a decent mid-range all mountain board, this years or last. Get new bindings too as your current one will probably be as old as your board and made of stone or iron or string or something.

Immerse yourself in the techno-cobblers which pervades snowboarding, choose your weapon and buy something completely different when you can't find it anywhere because everyone else had exactly the same idea.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strax, you are asking the worng question.

Quote:

Do I want a new board?

Yes, yes you do. Go buy one. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a 99/00 custom, barely used, still a lot of pop, base intact. Bought it because they were getting such rave reviews at the time. Never really got on with it, Nose folding when carving too hard if weight was more on the front foot. It's ok for slide turns, spinning around and messing about. It even handles powder reasonably but carving fast never liked it compared to other boards in my collection. So yes find something new, always been a traditional camber person myself but tried a few last year and what stood out was lib tech skate banana ( a rocker arrrgghhh) but if you want something for just goofing around on and riding fairly quickly hghly recomend a try. I shall be adding one to the collection next winter as the non powder board, though I am sure it will be ok for this, But have something else in mind.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah i would love a gnu or a lib tech board reverse camber. Or the newest endeavor live board it's RC.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd certainly change it.

I don't care about park, but for piste and powder a huge amount has changed in 10 years. Nothing I ride existed 10 years ago, and I would not go back under any circumstances. I'm probably riding more at the technical edge than holiday riders, but even there there have been significant improvements. So my rationale is simply that the newer gear is better. In you case you probably have to add that you should have improved in those 6 years: maybe your demands are different from when you started. They should be.

I don't buy any of the "techno-cobblers", but there are real technical changes including better use of taper, de-cambered noses, and non-glass construction all of which I care about. I can take or leave reverse camber - some boards work with it, some don't.... you have to ride them to see which is which,

I would not buy any board I had not ridden, because getting the right board makes all the difference, and I can never tell before I ride one if it'll be "right" or not. Both model and size can only be judged by riding, in my experience. So I would try everything in sight. Rent some decent modern stuff, demo some things, borrow your mate's boards. Do it at a slope so you can switch out a board in one run if it's the wrong size.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've always bought my boards 'blind' (i.e untested) and most have been used, simply because funds dictated it to be that way. I've lucked out on all of my boards, although they weren't perfect, they worked well enough.

Last season I knew my ageing ELAN and Stepchild boards weren't going to help me progress so I bought a new board, in part because I felt a need to upgrade to progress myself, but deep down I knew I just wanted a new stick. I ended buying blind again (a K2 raygun) but got a very good deal and the reviews all said it was a solid purchase. I'd love to report that it turned me from a numpty into a pro overnight... alas, it didn't but it felt a darn sight better to ride and helped me to identify my own riding deficiencies, as opposed to trying to get through the deficiencies of the the board first....

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with going for a board that's a season or two old (or a little more), especially if it's a board with plenty of tech in it that was pricey in its day. Providing you do your homework and spend wisely, there are some bargains to be had I'm sure...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy, buy, buy...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strax, Last year I was wondering the same thing......... after around 10/12 snowboarding weeks and 9 on a Burton Air. At the time I bought it, it was a fantastic intermediate board and I maintained it in a good condition.... there were few ladies specific boards around but they were not amazing.... however, after all that time I was not progressing and was having challenges with turns mid corner. I would fall at least twice a day despite being able to go really well most of the time. I spoke to a few people and the general consensus was that the board was a) not right for my size/height/female and also b) the technogy improvements in the last 10 years would make it really worth changing.

I wasn't 100% convinced, 15 years in marketing, makes me a little cynical about 'it's got new improved added reduced light flexy snake oil'. In my eyes it was a fantastic board and also so were my salomon boots - I did a lot of research and realised it was worth the investment and changed my board and boots. Well, last year was the best week I have ever had - I was charging about, no heel lift and being able to do what I already had the skill to do but couldn't because the board I had was wrong (for me) - the new board went exactly where I aimed it, I was flying! hubby struggled to keep up most of the time Very Happy. Two crashes in an entire week! whch is amazing.

So in essence - yes I would say that after 10 years you will notice a massive difference - but choose wisely Smile

Do your research, talk to people and work out what's right and not just buy 'last seasons' to save a few £ but get something that suits your style of riding and physical attributes. Some of the independent stores can give you some great advice. Some places will let you try demo boards (I think) at the indoor slopes. Once you've worked out the right board you may find it on eBay but know what you want first. Very Happy good luck!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Honda Kitty, Now you've convinced me I need a new board too Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy