Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair claims to be "No. 1" for ski destinations

Poster: A snowHead
Launching its "Winter-ski 2005 website" - www.ryanair.com/ski - Ryanair now claims to offer 28 destination airports for skiers. Here they are, quoting from their press release (click here):

ITALY
Milan, Trieste, Turin, Venice, Verona
FRANCE
Grenoble, Perpignan, Pau, Rodez, Montpellier, St Etienne
AUSTRIA
Friedrichshafen, Linz, Salzburg, Graz
SPAIN
Zaragoza, Barcelona-Girona, Granada, Santander, Santiago De Compostela, Valencia, Valladolid, Almeria
NORWAY
Oslo, Haugesund
SCOTLAND
Glasgow
POLAND
Krakow
LITHUANIA
Bratislava

The Spanish list looks very impressive. I guess the definition of a 'ski destination' airport depends on how long the transfer is going to be to the nearest resort. I haven't a clue with some of those airports. Any comments? And how do Ryanair's destinations now compare with the major national carriers?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Santiago de Compostela? Glasgow? Skiing?

They're having the usual Ryanair laugh. They perform a service by flying to loads of out of the way places, sometimes cheaply. I don't think I could get me + all my ski kit on a Ryanair flight these days. Restrictive baggage limits.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting point. One of the 3 resorts Ryanair say is serviced by Santiago de Compostela airport is 'Leitariegos', offering "5.44 km of alpine skiing area".

Now, I'd contend that 5km of skiing is actually a huge amount for, say, a beginner. Someone (obviously not us!) could have a brilliant start in the sport in one of these obscure places.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The positive thing about Ryanair is the prices. I choose to use them because of their low fares. £0.29 e/w to some of those places, with taxes making a total of about £25. You can't beat that. Easyjet rarely compares on prices these days, particularly at popular times.

I would also contest the "out of the way places", you can get on the slopes as quickly (if not quicker?) from Milan or Turin as you can from Geneva or Zurich. Flying to Salzburg, Grenoble, Friedrichshafen also present excellent opportunities.

The frequency and timing of the flights also makes weekend options very viable.

Still, I'm not out to persuade other people to use them, the more that do, the more expensive their flights will be.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, not convinced. Have you checked the "resorts" website? It's about a 4 hour drive.

Ray Zorro, Milan Bergamo? You are having a laugh. Turin on the other hand is useful but the timings aren't great if you work 9-5. Neither is Stansted. And if anything goes wrong...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obviolusly the same PR agency as Vail!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I see they don't mention that they came top in the 'Most Disappointing low-cost airline' section of the Telegraph Travel Awards at the weekend. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch blurb should read
Quote:

28 destination airports for skiers
....that are further from resort than you'd prefer.

Ok, so some of the French list e.g. St Etienne is just as good as, say, Lyon. But no better. And for crying out loud Rodez is nearly in the middle of the county.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With Ryanair you get what you get. Cheap flights but at a price ie. restricted weight limits, adverts virtually throughout the flight, hard selling of flight routes etc. but we all have choices and make our own. For me they've been a life changing company, I visited Italy for skiing a few years ago just because of the cheap flights available in the school half term week. I loved the place so much we've visited many areas and have now just about completed our purchase of a holiday home in central Italy. It's less than an hour to the slopes, 40 mins to fantastic beaches and enough mountain biking to last me a life time. Hopefully when the kids have departed we'll be moving there for good, so it may have it's problems and knockers but for me............ thankyou Ryanair!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Glasgow? Skiing?

It's only about 10 minutes to the new snow dome from Glasgow airport, pity they fly to Prestwick really wink

Though I did have a good holiday in La Thuile a couple of years ago from Bergamo.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As Grimsby Ranger said, you know what you're getting from Ryanair.

I have just booked 4 flights to Salzburg for January 18th, returning Jan 24th.

Flight per person: £36.77 rtn
Flight for my skis: £34.00 rtn

Now I know some people moan about the ski price, but in reality, the 'person' flight is so cheap that an extra £34 is neither here nor there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the prices at the moment are slashed by 75%. Just had a scoot round the site at various options and the prices are ridiculous!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo wrote:
Flight per person: £36.77 rtn
Flight for my skis: £34.00 rtn

That's only marginally cheaper than flights I've booked with BA from Heathrow to Geneva. Ryanair can be wonderfully cheap, but their ski surcharge means their prices are not that much cheaper than other airlines flying to the Alps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk,

Speed Ferries £25.00 each way* + Petrol or Diesel + Peage tolls. But no transfer taxi or hire car costs. No parking cost's in resort either (for some wink )

*But, this months visit using the Channel tunnel £65.00 each way (sensible times of day!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, that's a good price for the Chunnel, but driving only works if there's at least two of you. Most of my trips this season I'll be travelling out by myself, so flying is the cheapest option.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, There is absolutley no way I would be allowed to go Skiing without wife or Daughter's. Even the suggestion that I might go skiing without them is always met with 'If your going skiing so are we!'
latest report
boredsurfin, I go skiing without the SO. I leave him behind, so that he can continue to fund my spending habits, though honest toil. Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin, oh dear, you need a lads trip once in a while, we've started a yearly early doors trip to Tignes leaving 1st December back on the 5th this year......it's only a long weekend trip.......etc. Start sowing the seeds now wink
snow conditions
Fortunately Jane is happy to let me go without her. She's an angel!
snow conditions
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
boredsurfin, oh dear, you need a lads trip once in a while, we've started a yearly early doors trip to Tignes leaving 1st December back on the 5th this year......it's only a long weekend trip.......etc. Start sowing the seeds now wink

Oh I've tried! Even tried arranging a conference in Val d'Isere once, almost got it approved and the non-skiing MD got to hear of the trip and put a stop to it. We went to Brussels instead Sad. Nice beer in Brussels. Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Fortunately Jane is happy to let me go without her. She's an angel!

An understatement methink's!
snow conditions
boredsurfin, fair enough mate, it's great skiing with the kids anyway. If they're anything like mine they're great fun on the slopes.
latest report
Oi Grimsby Ranger, I am the wife of one of your mates (and good mate of your wife) and you wanna be careful wot u say. You just redeemed yourself at the death by mentioning your sprogs!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
SteveKirby, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm confused, are you a woman called Steve Puzzled
ski holidays
Great forum guys, cant get enough!!

Ian Hopkinson, Er.. no, I'm a bloke who goes skiing with Grimsby Ranger, but my missus saw his posts and intervened!!!! Smile
snow conditions
Welcome to you both then. Thought I was losing my marbles! Mrs K is allowed her own login... Toofy Grin
latest report
SteveKirby, flippin'eck, you'd better change your password otherwise I could drop myself right in it wink
snow conditions
Grimsby Ranger, Will do!! You know what she like, an hour at Castleford and she's an expert with an opinion on everything!! (he says ducking and flinching!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimsby Ranger, Will do!! You know what she like, an hour at Castleford and she's an expert with an opinion on everything!! (he says ducking and flinching!)
latest report
I wouldn't be happy if mine went off without me, having said that I may be off without him (but I'll be working at the Paralympics)
snow report
I want to see the person who buys a ticket to Bratislava and finds himself in Lithuania Puzzled
I hope at least the pilot has a map...
ski holidays
kerekip, yes, but it's probably the map on ryanair's website, no doubt Shocked
latest report
They say Oslo but really it is Oslo Torp which is an extra couple of hours drive I think to the likes of Lillihammer. So they may be cheap but the transfer price will kill you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy