Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Skiing books ?

Poster: A snowHead
Whose been reading what ?
Need something for next trip in a week and a bit's time

Have read Maiers' biog, Baxter's biog, wayne whatever his name was's White Heat or something like that.

Any suggestions ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where to Ski & Snowboard just in case the resort you are at is rubbish! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112, grab a copy of "We learned to ski" by the Sunday Times travel writers, circa around 1972. Fabulous. The section on "wise" skiing is timeless. Actually, the section on bumps skiing is pretty timeless too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just recommended this in another thread:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Planks-Passion-Dramatic-History/dp/1847252362?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sev112, a novel but has a lot of skiing in it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avalanche-Jack-Drummond/dp/075153904X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268777780&sr=8-8&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112, I'd recommend hardbacks, because they have better bindings. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is hands down the best skiing book out there, it's worth the price for the photographs in it alone:

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
White Weekends by Tim/Tom Robbins is an excellent book http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Weekends-Where-Stay-Party/dp/0593060156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268819551&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
Reviews various resorts based on what you're looking for, eg party, romantic, cruisy blues etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife bought me a wonderful book for my birthday = many of its definitions are so true...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0761128204/ref=sib_dp_pt?tag=amz07b-21#reader-link
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's a nice book:

Two planks and a passion by Roland Huntford

Comprehensive history of skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can very strongly recommend the comprehensive guides to pistes and off-pistes written by Rob Tillard. They are brilliantly conceived - very clear photos and guidance to all the runs and off-piste variants - and timeless in terms of the mountains never changing (only the lifts). They cover a number of well-known ski areas like the Arlberg, Zermatt, Jungfrau etc.

These are long out of print. They are paperback with shiny covers, not too many pages and easy to carry on the mountain. They were printed in large numbers, but not easy to find. [can't even find any, on a quick search with abebooks, amazon and eBay.] I suspect they haven't got ISBN numbers. Worth searching for, though!

Tillard also wrote:

SKI STORY The Decline and Renaissance of The Ski Club of Great Britain A slightly bizarre tale, including his time as secretary of the SCGB and near-suicide above Zermatt, having lost his job there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowqueen11, that's the one I listed above Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
narc,

Yep - have got that ; i got it this year to update Ron LeM's previous version whcih i've had for a good few years now - the colour photos are excellent - especially if you are a bit of a biomechanic geek like me !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cham by Jonathon Trigell isn't bad, and has a lot of skiing in it. It's a novel btw.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 18-03-10 11:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The New Guide to Skiing Martin Heckelman.

Martin Heckelman’s goal in publishing the Revised Edition of The New Guide to Skiing is "to help you reach a level of competence that enables you to safely ski every type of snow and slope that you may encounter." To a large extent, Heckelman’s sequential photos and exercises do cover the gamut of conditions and terrain most skiers will encounter, and with an increasing level of confidence that he builds in the reader.
ski holidays
The Snow Tourist: a search for the world's purest, deepest snowfall by Charlie English.
A review on Amazon calls it "a thing of wonder and delight."
Some of it is great, then you find yourself wondering if conditions are ever going to improve, and suddenly another lovely dump comes out of the blue. Just like the real thing really.
latest report
Surely noone reads paper books anymore!
snow conditions
ericdesouza wrote:
The New Guide to Skiing Martin Heckelman.

Martin Heckelman’s goal in publishing the Revised Edition of The New Guide to Skiing is "to help you reach a level of competence that enables you to safely ski every type of snow and slope that you may encounter." To a large extent, Heckelman’s sequential photos and exercises do cover the gamut of conditions and terrain most skiers will encounter, and with an increasing level of confidence that he builds in the reader.

If the cover pic is any indication then I'd skip this one. God gave us two legs to ski on.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Surely noone reads paper books anymore!

Only intelligent and literate people. You probably don't meet many NehNeh

"Avalanche" - mentioned above - is right up there with the Da Vinci Bollux in the top 10 worst written books of all time.
snow report
stoatsbrother,

Phew - saw it in Oxfam yesterday and was nearly tempted Sad
latest report
If you've an interest in how skiing in Scotland emerged and developed, this book's worth a punt:

Skisters. The story of Scottish skiing. By Myrtle Simpson

It has plenty of illustrations.
snow report
Inner Skiing by Tim Gallwey

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Skiing-Gallwey/dp/0679778276/?tag=amz07b-21

Not instructional in the motor skills sense but lots of tips on mind games particularly (but not exclusively) for the timid skier.

Breakthrough on the New Skis: Say Goodbye to the Intermediate Blues by Lito Tejada-Flores

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakthrough-New-Skis-Goodbye-Intermediate/dp/0878425276/?tag=amz07b-21

Lito has an excellent way with words and makes light work of describing all those little subtleties of technique.
snow conditions
So with Marty Heckelman (a friend of mine) joining Snowheads I thought I would revive with this thread with suggestions for the most influential ski books. Mrs Ski Lots suggests that I am somewhat of a train-spotter in this area given I have approaching 200 books on the subject (it's nice to surround yourself with supportive people). Anyway 4 suggestions that have influenced my skiing life:

The original book by the above mentioned Marty Heckelman - the Hamlyn Guide to Skiing which long before I met the man I used to study at length following a day on the slopes in my early skiing years.

Georges Joubert's Skiing, an art... a technique. Probably the most technical book on skiing I've ever encountered; so much information, but not to be attempted after a glass or two of wine.

Tim Gallway's The Inner Game of Skiing (mentioned earlier in this thread). I still carry one or two of Tim's ideas in my head and deploy them when conditions get difficult.

Hannes Schneider and Arnold Fanck's The Wonders of Skiing. Published in English in 1933. An inspirational book in that if Hannes and his contemporaries could do such wonderful things on edge-less planks then why should we have any difficulties with all the advantages of modern hardware and clothing? snowHead
snow report
Definitely another endorsement for Ultimate Skiing. You will return to it time after time. Far and away the best skiing book. Another really good and interesting approach is Weems Westfeldt's 'Brilliant Skiing Everyday.' Have a look at Mark Elling 'The All Mountain Skier.' Out of a library of over 50 ski books these are the ones I return to and would recommend unless you're getting into manuals?
snow report
I would add to the list.

"The Athletic Skier" by Warren Witherall.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Athletic-Skier-Warren-Witherall/dp/1555661173/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427375147&sr=1-1&keywords=the+athletic+skier&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
Not got it yet, but this looks like a nice "coffee table" book:

Powder: The Greatest Ski Runs on the Planet by Patrick Thorne
ski holidays
Following a recommendation on this forum:

"The All Mountain Skier" (2nd ed.) R. Mark Elling
snow report
Allen and Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips.

Especially the 'Boing' cartoon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
sev112, grab a copy of "We learned to ski" by the Sunday Times travel writers, circa around 1972. Fabulous. The section on "wise" skiing is timeless. Actually, the section on bumps skiing is pretty timeless too.

That's the daddy of English-language ski books! In many ways, years ahead of its time!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy