Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix at New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Just a quick one... we've been to Chamonix before, but not at New Year, and wondered whether, with the the less linked, slightly less efficient, buses etc ski lift system, it is more affected by New Year crowds than other resorts?? Have been to 3 Valleys and La Plagne at New Year before, and while it's noticeably busy, we found it mostly manageable with a little bit of effort to avoid the really crazy times at the lifts. But I wouldn't want to spend hours waiting for buses....

Anyone with any experience of this?

Thanks,
Claire.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Claire,

Hmmm, my experience is limited as I always have a car... The place is busy and this naturally places strain on the infrastructure - but I haven't noticed ridiculous lift queues for instance.

But, if you haven't booked accommodation by now, I think you'll be struggling for NY week... we've been fully booked since September...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cxxx, I've done the buses over the new year period a few times. You won't wait hours but the buses are pretty rammed. Think London Underground at peak time X 2 plus ski gear. On occasion, I have had to wait up to 30 minutes until a bus with enough space came along.

The morning buses are pretty variable because some like to get the first lift and some don't. The afternoons, however, are a different story because most people ski till the last lift and then it's complete mayhem on the buses. On days like that I either come down early or phone for a cab. Chamonix isn't filled with cab companies, so best to make a loose arrangement with one cab driver for the duration of your stay.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In recent years the Chamonix Bus company has been getting better at realising that more buses are required at peak times. Hopefully this year will be much better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
with the train not running to GM this year its likely to be even worse. I'm glad we have a car, otherwise i'd dread the end of the day Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cxxx, it will be busy, the lifts won't be too bad but the buses will be rammed over the weekend. Check out the train, it runs at fixed times and is good for Flegere, GM and Le Tour via Vallorcine and its free with a card from your hotel. Also it's possible to walk or get the drag upto Brevent, no buses required.
Top tip at busy times is to get your passes at Montenveres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's not always easy to park your car, either, is it, especially without local knowledge of the best places. I enjoy a day in Chamonix but I'd not go near the place at New Year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it'll be fine, it always is, just watch bus times on Holliday days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horgand, which means the whole of the NY weeks, doesn't it?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chambles wrote:
In recent years the Chamonix Bus company has been getting better at realising that more buses are required at peak times. Hopefully this year will be much better.
Good grief, I wouldn't want to have experienced previous years! I've spent about 18 weeks there since the 08/09 season and the buses in the afternoons are pretty dire.

I'll be there for the whole season this winter and am seriously considering shipping my mountain bike to Cham so that I can bike everywhere, skis and all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
horgand, which means the whole of the NY weeks, doesn't it?

ahem for a good half of the week anyways yes. Buses run on days classed as holiday days such as New Years Day, etc, they just run less frequently and at different times to normal so read the fine print on bus timetables that's all, and maybe don't chance the last one just in case- other than that they run like clockwork Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
Cxxx, it will be busy, the lifts won't be too bad but the buses will be rammed over the weekend. Check out the train, it runs at fixed times and is good for Flegere, GM and Le Tour via Vallorcine and its free with a card from your hotel. Also it's possible to walk or get the drag upto Brevent, no buses required.
Top tip at busy times is to get your passes at Montenveres.

its looking unlikely that the train will be running past cham centre, some people are hopeful that they might open it over the next few weeks but i wouldnt hold my breath. Its a realy shame as well as its brilliant to be able to get the train into and back from argentiere of an evening Sad

zero-g where you living? we're in les bossons Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddiethebus wrote:
zero-g where you living? we're in les bossons Smile
in Cham town. We should hook up for a ski/drink/etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah, i'm (obviously) on the web with work a lot but still get a couple of hours off in the day and all weekend + pub time in the evening Smile heading back to the uk for 5 days on saturday so gutted to be missing opening day but i'm back then for the duration.

epic amounts of snow right now!!! CMB sound like there blasting the poo-poo out of the place in prep for saturday!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eddiethebus wrote:

its looking unlikely that the train will be running past cham centre, some people are hopeful that they might open it over the next few weeks but i wouldnt hold my breath. Its a realy shame as well as its brilliant to be able to get the train into and back from argentiere of an evening Sad

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like we may have a car with us now, so that may help if it's really busy I guess. What's parking like at the ski areas - are there car parks, and do you have to pay for parking? I have to admit I've never even noticed before - just got off the bus and headed to the lifts without looking!

Does you have any more information on the train situation? I've had a look online and I can find reference on the timetable to a replacement bus service between Argentiere and Vallorcine (which is a shame, I used to like doing the run down from Le Tour into Vallorcine and getting the train home!), but might there be more restrictions than that?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy