Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I want to get into snowboarding but need advice!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am really interested on getting into snowboarding but have never had the chance till now.

Does anyone have any all round advice I could use. For example; equiptment brands, lessons, etc etc Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
J.Leon1, to repeat my standard advice for those taking up boarding - wear wrist guards and impact shorts!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My snowboarding daughter says don't make the mistake she did when starting out. Buy impact shorts and wrist guards before your first lesson! Head off to one of the snowdomes and have a go and see if you like it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I am currently staying in Luton so will go to MK and when I am home in Coventry I will try out the snowdome.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I made the (stupid) mistake of believing that because I'd been in the presence of a skateboard when I was about 8, I'd be able to board without lessons - epic fail!

Within two hours of first strapping in I was booking lessons in resort and eating some (french) humble pie. But it did me good in the long run.

My advice is go to one of the domes (at this time of year it's never going to be empty) and get on one of the intensive one-day courses, or at least have a few hours doing it, just to get familiar with the process of boarding. I've never had lessons in the UK but my missus has (at MK) and said it was really helpful.

As for kit, if you can afford it then at least buy your own boots, as comfortable boots are a must when you're out on the slopes for several hours at a time. Mind you, some of the rental kit I've seen is pretty good and perfect for first-timers but as the season progresses, the kit gets more bashed up and the boots get a bit smellier Laughing

I wasn't a fan of impact shorts - they ones I had just felt a bit cumbersome - but wrist guards are a good idea. Buy the best you can afford; cheap ones often aren't as polished as they could be and can dig in and be uncomfortable. My missus wear hers over the top of her mitts just for added comfort.

The other essentials are a good set of goggles - you needn't spend a fortune, just get ones with good ventilation and try to go for standard smoke/brown lenses for all-round use. There are various colours available, and many goggles that have interchangeable lenses so you can adapt to changing light, but it's all extra cost.

Helmets are a good investment too - you can get a quality lid from a brand like R.E.D for £50 these days, especially one from a season or two past. It's all about the safety IMO...

Clothing needn't cost the earth either. You can buy good quality kit from places like TK Maxx, although it's a badly kept secret these days so the really high-end bargains go quite quickly. Still, I've picked up some really good kit from there in the past for very little - grabbed a pair of Scott trousers a few seasons back for £30 and have just got a new O'Neill jacket from last season's range for £50.

MInd you, this is all stuff to consider in time - get to somewhere like MK and just enjoy your introduction to boarding and then take it from there. Persevere, don't beat yourself up if you fall over and just enjoy it Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And get a copy of Go Snowboard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wrist guards essential wherever you are. The rest is optional for the first few lessons. That's the other non optional item, lessons, oh and a sense of humour Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for wrist guards and lessons.

You'll fall a lot. Don't worry about it.

Always look at the place on the slope that you're aiming to get to, not down at your feet/board. (Just like when riding a bike, driving a car etc.)

Persevere, and before too long you might have developed a life-long addiction.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wrist gaurds impact shorts helmet lessons. You will get up and carry on if you have the right gear.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
J.Leon1,

Do you ski?

I was an experienced skier when I did a course of snowboard lessons on a dry slope. I didn't suffer any major falls/problems except when I split the back bottom out of my jeans. That was a bit embarrassing especially in the pub afterwarads Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like i shall definitely buy wrist guards then NehNeh and i have been skiing in America for a week.

I might try skip that as im not the best with embarrassment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get a tail pad as well - trust me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had two, 2 hour sessions at Tamworth and got up to recreational standard after that, (Some people may need all three group lessons; some may need to repeat lessons). I found the instruction quite good but the first lesson was very slow and a lot of people in the group. The second group lesson (on a weekday) only had the two of us booked into it and after the lesson he let us practise for another two hours for free. When you go abroad all the lifts are a bit tricky but you will get there eventually. I did without tuition. I've now had two trips where I've boarded as well as skied. I may have some lessons in France this year to refine technique and take me to the next level.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy