Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Tuition Route?

Poster: A snowHead
Here’s the problem.

Need to teach Daughters boyfriend to ski ….(I know I know!)

1) So take him with us at Christmas book him into ESF - 6 x 2.5 hrs lessons
including La Plagne lift pass €250 (LP pass worth €215)
Daughter can then ski with him in afternoons to re-inforce teaching.

OR

2) Book 6 private lessons and buy lift pass (about 3 times the above cost)

OR

3) Book a learn to ski in a day at Hemel (about the same cost as 1. ? )

So what does the collective knowledge of snowHeads think is the best option?

Just to help he is around 20 yrs athletic physically fit but has never been on snow before.

We have got the obvious kit and stuff sorted.

Thank you all in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, no question #3 or a block of lessons, could be a mixture of dry and indoor, he'll probably get hooked and show you all the way at Christmas wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ask him what he would like from the holiday?

Option 3 is definitely out IMHO.

Do however many days of privates you can afford and have daughter join the lesson, so when they ski together she'll be reinforcing what the instructor had taught him not what she thinks he's been taught.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely it should be "Daughters BF needs to learn to ski so he can come with us; should he pay for....... "

And I'd suggest Hemel first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Option 1, but perhaps a pre trip lesson or two at a plastic slope.

A lot cheaper than a dome.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scooby_simon,
Quote:

"Daughters BF needs to learn to ski so he can come with us; should he pay for....... "

I was trying not to say that out loud Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If he's athletic and fit I think he will pick it up reasonably easily, especially as he's still pretty young. Which to me makes 2) sound like the extra cost might not match the benefit.

3) would probably have him doing the basics but I think that would be the weakest option, a week of proper lessons (either group or private) would be far better.

I know people will say you get more out of private lessons, and they may be right, but I actually enjoy group lessons myself. Specially if you get a good group (maybe a gamble I guess). I think if he's reasonably fit and a quick learner he will be skiing to a decent standard more or less regardless of which option you pick...

You could maybe do 3) then 1) while out there? That way he won't be in the absolute beginner ESF group so he'll get more out of it, and still cheaper than 2).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 16-04-12 15:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski-in-a-day at Hemel or MK - which shouldn't cost anywhere near €250 - followed by a couple of practice sessions.

If he is athletic and sporty, he should get the hang of it - if not, daughter probably needs to find a new boyfriend
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
scooby_simon,
Quote:

"Daughters BF needs to learn to ski so he can come with us; should he pay for....... "

I was trying not to say that out loud Very Happy Very Happy

In which case asking him what he'd like from the holiday seems even more appropriate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
quinton,
Quote:

if not, daughter probably needs to find a new boyfriend

Again, I was tyrying not to say that out loud wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or to look at it another way, what did you do on your first ski holiday?

And what did you choose for your daughter on her first holiday?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, Option 3) --- but cheaper to usea dryslope - you can then use Hemel later..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Price of the ski in a day packages drops a lot (perhaps by half) in the summer. I think they're well worth it to give a head start before skiing on the mountain for the first time, should mean missing an ESF level out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about full-day lessons in the resort, rather than just mornings. They normally finish an hour or so before the slopes close so would still give your daughter time to ski with him without having to ski at a beginner's pace for a full afternoon.

It'll give them more to talk about in the evenings while out enjoying the apres.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a bit in two minds about this. My first week skiing was done without any dryslope visit and snowdomes were a long way off. Embarassed

The first week skiing on snow with a group of total beginners was such a great experience for me and introduced me to a love for the mountains that's stayed with me forever. Maybe I could have got more out of it with some pre trip lessons but I don't regret the way I did it. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I reckon do several group session at Hemel or a dry slope or wherever.... do it on a weekday then there will be fewer people on it (probably). When he gets up to recreational level he can then practice, get mileage and will himself get a better understanding on whether private lessons may or may not work for him in the future. When he gets out on his first holiday book a one on one private on the first morning (Sunday?) (more if it is in school hols and availability could be tight) and then take it from there.
snow report
Another vote for - Option 3 learn in a day and then option 1. Gives him the best chance of him enjoying the holiday (not being a total beginner) and your daughter enjoying the holiday (getting some time without him skiing well and some time hanging out on blues with him too)
ski holidays
It is April? She will probably have dumped him by Christmas!
snow conditions
Tough call. I have had young (twenties), athletic friends learn to ski over the last few years and can only offer their experiences and what worked for them (or not!).

Firstly, my sister did a 3 hour snowdome lesson to pick up the very basics. She felt able to stop when needed and have some vague control over direction. She felt more prepared for the mountain when we arrived in resort (which was good as we had ski in/out accommodation - a green piste). She then booked 1.5hr private lessons forthe first three days. The first day, the ESF instructor was not great, was 15 minutes late, kept telling her that is was 'not difficult' then left her half way down a blue piste at the end of the lesson...where my friend found her some minutes later, petrified to be on a busy home run piste and no one / no tracks to follow. The next day,she asked for a different instructor, who was great, really made the learning fun and built her confidence up. I would ski with her in the afternoons, to reinforce the basics.

Secondly, a sporty friend of mine did no skiing in the uk and booked into morning group lessons for the full week. She enjoyed skiing with other beginners, as as she was sporty, she progressed very quickly. However, there was one nervous ninny in her group, and so the rest of the group were held up, and could not ski on the main mountain until this one person could muster enough confidence. This was not ideal, as the nervous skier feels more and more deflated, while the rest of the group get frustrated.

Thirdly, another friend did a uk snowdome lesson than group lessons in resort. She progressed quickly,and was skiing (albeit very easy) pistes on the mountain from day one, makinguse of the lift pass.

I learned in my early twenties, and I did a 3 hour snowdome lesson before doing group lessons in resort. The dome lesson meant I was in the ski group one up from absolute beginner once in resort, so everyone in the group could stop and turn, although without much style. By day two we were skiing longish pistes.

My personal opinion would be to have a couple of lesson in the uk, dry slope or snow dome, to get the basics and be ready to make the most of the lift pass once in resort. A dry slope will be less 'snowy' but more affordable, and perfectly fine for learning on. Snowdomes give a better idea of skiing in a cold place on cold wet snow, but may be more pricey. Then get a few lessons in resort. Whether to have a couple of privates, or a block of group lessons is really down to the individual. Do they like learning with others, having fun in a group or do they prefer one to one attention?
snow report
carettam wrote:

I learned in my early twenties, and I did a 3 hour snowdome lesson before doing group lessons in resort. The dome lesson meant I was in the ski group one up from absolute beginner once in resort, so everyone in the group could stop and turn, although without much style. By day two we were skiing longish pistes.

I think that's the best reason to do some lessons before going - being in the absolute beginner group can be rather boring, especially if you're even moderately athletic and enthusiastic. And if he picks it up quickly (sounds like he shouldn't struggle too much) then it gets boring even quicker.

The group I went with this year had 6 beginner guys ranging from 19-24 and the two who did the best by an absolute mile were the ones who had done snowdome stuff first, dryslope would probably be just as good (although to be fair the two who did the worst missed lessons due to hangovers...).
latest report
Ray Zorro, I thought that last October wink
snow report
carettam wrote:
Tough call. I have had young (twenties), athletic friends learn to ski over the last few years and can only offer their experiences and what worked for them (or not!).

Firstly, my sister did a 3 hour snowdome lesson to pick up the very basics. She felt able to stop when needed and have some vague control over direction. She felt more prepared for the mountain when we arrived in resort (which was good as we had ski in/out accommodation - a green piste). She then booked 1.5hr private lessons forthe first three days. The first day, the ESF instructor was not great, was 15 minutes late, kept telling her that is was 'not difficult' then left her half way down a blue piste at the end of the lesson...where my friend found her some minutes later, petrified to be on a busy home run piste and no one / no tracks to follow. The next day,she asked for a different instructor, who was great, really made the learning fun and built her confidence up. I would ski with her in the afternoons, to reinforce the basics.

Secondly, a sporty friend of mine did no skiing in the uk and booked into morning group lessons for the full week. She enjoyed skiing with other beginners, as as she was sporty, she progressed very quickly. However, there was one nervous ninny in her group, and so the rest of the group were held up, and could not ski on the main mountain until this one person could muster enough confidence. This was not ideal, as the nervous skier feels more and more deflated, while the rest of the group get frustrated.

Thirdly, another friend did a uk snowdome lesson than group lessons in resort. She progressed quickly,and was skiing (albeit very easy) pistes on the mountain from day one, makinguse of the lift pass.

My personal opinion would be to have a couple of lesson in the uk, dry slope or snow dome, to get the basics and be ready to make the most of the lift pass once in resort. A dry slope will be less 'snowy' but more affordable, and perfectly fine for learning on. Snowdomes give a better idea of skiing in a cold place on cold wet snow, but may be more pricey. Then get a few lessons in resort. Whether to have a couple of privates, or a block of group lessons is really down to the individual. Do they like learning with others, having fun in a group or do they prefer one to one attention?

I'm not a very experienced skier but ill offer my two pennies worth as I was in the situation you Daughters BF was in when i started and i would say get him on a dry slope/ snow dome before he goes. I did that and found that i was pretty confident by the time i went on the real slopes. If he was a bit like me when he starts hell pick it up quick enough.

I can imagine it being horrible having to waste a few days at the start of the holiday falling over etc. If he goes with the basics he'll feel alot better and improve so much more over the space of the holiday. I'd say a few goes on a dry slope till hes got the hang of a basic snow plow and turn, then move him to a snow dome as i found it much easier to learn how to parallel turn on real snow. When i tired it on a dry slope if found i just ended up sliding sideways as i couldnt really grip with the edges of the ski's.

Smile
ski holidays
I'm about 10 years older... but went skiing for the first time in Morzine about a month ago with my girlfriend who has been skiing since she was a teenager.

I went for a partial combination of 1 and 3. Had a 2 hour lesson in Manchester and then booked 5x2hour (mon-fri, 9am) lessons with ESF. The snowdome lesson didn't get much past 'these are skis, side step up the training slope a bit, now snow plough straight down the hill' though we did use the button lift a little bit as the training slope was being used for tubing. Still, it was very useful for not being completely and utterly (just mostly) clueless when it came to skiing outside, and meant that on the Sunday before the ESF lessons started I was able to ski around a little bit.

The ESF lesson group was OK for the first few days, but towards the end of the week when a lot of the others didn't seem to be keen to try anything new/harder (and the instructor got pretty unprofessionally annoyed by this!) I got a bit bored and ended up not going to the last lesson on the Friday.

If I was going again for the first time I'd probably liked to have done more snowdome time and _maybe_ the ESF group again. I don't think any amount of pre-trip preparation would have helped me to keep up with my girlfriend's skiing though.
ski holidays
xander89 wrote:
carettam wrote:

I'm not a very experienced skier but ill offer my two pennies worth as I was in the situation you Daughters BF was in when i started and i would say get him on a dry slope/ snow dome before he goes. I did that and found that i was pretty confident by the time i went on the real slopes. If he was a bit like me when he starts hell pick it up quick enough.

I can imagine it being horrible having to waste a few days at the start of the holiday falling over etc. If he goes with the basics he'll feel alot better and improve so much more over the space of the holiday. I'd say a few goes on a dry slope till hes got the hang of a basic snow plow and turn, then move him to a snow dome as i found it much easier to learn how to parallel turn on real snow. When i tired it on a dry slope if found i just ended up sliding sideways as i couldnt really grip with the edges of the ski's.

Smile

I agree with both of you - I did a learn-to-ski course at our local dryslope because I didn't want to be spending time in resort at £££££ per day doing the 'this is a ski, this is how you put the skis on' stuff. It worked well cos then we were able to go on the EoSB and I got loads out of the group lessons - I don't think I'd have enjoyed it anywhere near as much if I'd started from scratch. I suspect he'll want to progress quite quickly - I can't see having your girlfriend and her parents skiing rings round you appealing to many 20-something guys - so getting the basics down before you leave is probably the best option.
snow report
I will settle for option 1 in order to provide solid base onto which he would be able to progress. Maybe a few sessions in a dome as birthday present and he should all ready to roll for a second week after christmas.
snow report
Last time I was in the hemel freezer they had a deal 10 weeks course, 2 hours per week for about £200-300. For that price it would be worth looking at getting years membership which would get 30% discount.

Lessons on the mountain imo are the best way to progress learning but I think its a wasted opportunity to go to a ski resort without at least some basic lessons under your belt.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think its a wasted opportunity to go to a ski resort without at least some basic lessons under your belt.
I couldn't agree more. If you can ski on plastic you can do it on snow. The boyfriend should go to a course of lessons at home on dry slope of snowdome (but it's expensive)and daughter can go and practice-ski at the same time or take lessons herself. In 4-6 hours he should be able to walk, stop, turn and use the lift and will be ready to progress and start enjoying skiing.
In resort I think group lessons are more fun than private ones - and if daughter doesn't want to ski with boyfriend in the afternoon every day he will surely find a ski buddy/beer buddy in his class in the same situation.
In resort.. a beginner may not need a full ski pass straight away. Take advice from the instructor.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Private lessons, but you probably only need two or three.

If he is athletic and fit he will progress quickly and probably find beginner group lessons slow and boring.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Angus wrote:
I reckon do several group session at Hemel or a dry slope or wherever.... do it on a weekday then there will be fewer people on it (probably). When he gets up to recreational level he can then practice, get mileage and will himself get a better understanding on whether private lessons may or may not work for him in the future. When he gets out on his first holiday book a one on one private on the first morning (Sunday?) (more if it is in school hols and availability could be tight) and then take it from there.

+1
ski holidays
If he's keen, athletic, fit then he can do plastic - far cheaper. Then after that, proper snow will be a doddle. We took a complete beginner (literally had never seen a snowflake before his first morning in the 3V) after just a 2 hour private lesson (Christmas present) at the Southampton dry ski slope. He was short, strong and fearless (high level polo player) and coped fine on the snow, with no more lessons. None of the rest of us was much good though - we weren't hucking cliffs or doing black moguls, just cruising the blues and reds.
ski holidays
pam w, ah yes, Southampton is a decent dry slope with a sensible lift (unlike that rope thing at Christchurch) I'm thinking that may be a sensible idea and then option 1. Only £10.00 for a 1hour private! Or is there a sensible dry slope within easy reach of Oxford, he could then do it in term time.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Southampton is run by Active nation now but still a great slope!
ski holidays
carettam wrote:

This
snow report
Boredsurfing, a number of years ago I was in a slightly similar situation, several of my 20 something friends wanted to come skiing with me, two had never been on snow in their life so they took a 4 lesson course at Christchurch dry slope before we went, in those days I think it was about £40 all in, group lesson with about 10 in the group, that took them through the basics of how to ski, covered snow plough, side slip, parallel turns that sort of thing, because I went along and watched as they learnt, I was confident that they'd be fine on the real stuff, first day out we went up the mountain and did a few practice runs on a short gentle slope just to get the feel of real snow into them, then I took them down a 6 km long gentle blue run, we stopped for an early light lunch then repeated the blue a bit faster, then I took them down a gentle red at one point swapping onto a gentle part of the Lauberhorn race track before swapping back to a red and finally finishing up on a blue back to resort.

Ok I have a lot of experience skiing and I was seeing how my friends were doing all the time, showing them different techniques and giving tips , if they' not been comfortable I'd have booked them into ski school in the resort, but they were fine, at the end of the day I showed them where we had skied on the piste map, by taking them down part of the racecourse which shows as Black it boosted their confidence, the bit they went on was only a red run but they didn't know that, they'd not realised I'd switched to red runs in the afternoon, but it gave them an awful lot of confidence for the rest of the holiday. They didn't need a single lesson in resort and by the second week were happily skiing on pretty much any run on the mountain.

My advice would be get the chap a taster lesson just to see if he can cope with two planks strapped to his feet and has sufficient balance, if he does then sort out a set of lessons at a dry slope, if not it's time for the daughter to get a new BF wink
snow conditions
For help finding a nearby dry slope (which would be my recommendation for getting started) see here:

http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/find

but not much near Oxford.
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Or is there a sensible dry slope within easy reach of Oxford, he could then do it in term time.

High Wycombe - I haven't been by lately so I'm not sure it's still open, but it used to look OK.
snow report
musher, isn't that the one that burnt down?
snow report
Go for option 3! If he's sporty it should only take him a day or two out there to conquer the blues. Should be able to keep up by the end of the week!!
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Yes, so not operating and no sign of it being rebuilt in the near future.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:

Milton keyes tomorrow eve and ill teach him XD. Jokes, i dont think they would allow me to do that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy