Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the great gig in the sky - where do old skis go when they die?

Poster: A snowHead
Well, for one, an ancient pair of Omeglas Speed 66 went in the skip, but only after I'd sawn them in half to see what the construction was in detail. The edges had gone (and I mean nothing left), the camber was non-existent, and there were a hundred filled core shots, so the bases weren't exactly absorbing wax anymore. So it was with regret, but with realism, that they went to landfill.

The LOOK Ti platform race bindings (like Rossi FKS) went to S+R for mounting on some Rossignols for a beginner friend of mine, gratis. The tech was mighty confused...you're a beginner...and you've got these bindings???

Last year I saw some Heads screwed to the rails of a toboggan. Lethal speeds easily gained.

But mostly I just take the bindings off and put the skis near the bin in CH and they get picked up by someone passing.

I've gained quite a few pairs of really good skis in CH, particularly kids' skis, at the Great Easter Chalet Clearout which happens in and around our village, Skis are left outside garages next to bins, and the great re-circulation of skis takes place.

But just where DO skis go when they truly die?......
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Decheterie (re-cycling centre) in Bourg St Maurice has a skip for old ski's, who knows where they go after that................................................
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, ...I sense a number of antennae twitching amongst the SH community:

... a skip! in Bourg! full of old skis!!!!! ....

and then the patter of tiny feet.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2, Laughing Theres also one near Aime at Bellentre (much more upmarket than BstM) on the N90, there I've said it, surely a tourist attraction now Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ebay........look.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-YELLOW-VOLKL-SKIS-195CM-TYROLIA-550-BINDINGS-/261116013386?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item3ccbba2b4a
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haha, not surprised "only used a few times", must have skied like crap with the bindings mounted with the boot tip on the boot-centre mark Confused

(Still got my old P9's in the attic though, I loved those skis rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is not a coincidence that uncle bulgaria was a womble, clearing up other people's mess and finding a usefor it. Go to bulgaria and you can see all the old equipment, lifts and all...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well there was a stand at the NEC show selling ex-rental stuff that deserved to be in the skip!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My old one's went to Spyderjon for folks to practice repairs on Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds, You are so gnarly! Those of us that stick to piste only never get much damage - except Hippo, of course, who can wreck anything just by standing near it.

The answer to the question in my case is they are still in the shed!

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Superglue shot glasses to them, surely...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Submit them to extreme torture:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34239
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39781
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
willow 15, I dare you to ask how old those skis are. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Annecy, they made a fence out of some.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Into the Cave
snow report
Nickski, personally, I think they should be set on fire, cast adrift in the North Sea, and this should indeed be sung in their honour from the freezing, misty shoreline...

http://youtube.com/v/InOpOHfSt40

But then that's just me...
ski holidays
Clare Torry got a flat £30 for creating that wonderful piece of improvisation (and she had to buy her own copy of the album) 'til she sued over 30 years later:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_gig_in_the_sky
ski holidays
altis, ...many thanks....that's exactly the kind of left-field detail which I like to put into the little slots still left vacant in my head....excellent

(before anyone asks, the most recent piece of music in our house was not purchased in 1986...anyone like M83?...but that doesn't mean that the Greats are not The Greats...Taj M, BB, Stones, MAttack, Craig Armstrong, and so on)
snow conditions
My old pair of completely shagged X-Screams got left in the rack outside The Jump in 1850. Someone would have appropriated them after a while and done something decent with them.

I do like the idea of incorporating old skis into a toboggan, though..
latest report
As a training aid in gymnastics we used what were called "ski runs" because they were constructed of old skis with the bindings removed and supported on the tip and tail by blocks of wood so they provided a lot of bounce in the middle. The one at North Staffs Gym Club was made from old skis scrounged from the Stoke dry slope. You could get remarkable height for tumbles from it. Technology has moved on and the tumble runs are now constructed differently to give more even bounce.
ski holidays
Got a quid a pair in the local auction room when I had a massive junk clear out - mind you someone paid similar for some old and very knacked cricket bats - suppose the middles were undamaged but the edges........
snow conditions
latest report
The ones over 210 need preserving for Ludicrous Longboard Day in the US. "Short skis suck and longboards truck"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy